[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Thomas Fire

Thomas Fire

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

Thomas Fire

Postby carla » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:43 pm

I should've checked in earlier. I'm fine, not evacuated, doubt I will be. Incident Command, and we citizens, must plan for worst case scenario.

Saturday was unbelievable; I was up and watching local news when the wind started at 6:45 a.m. 11,100 acres burned that day and only 3 houses were lost. (more were damaged)

This is the most dramatic, horrible, amazing video I've seen:
https://twitter.com/EliasonMike/status/ ... 4751855619

Amazing, terrible pics and video from PIO: https://twitter.com/eliasonmike?lang=en

Ventura county too is still fighting the fire. It sure isn't over, wind is forecast for Wed. for SB County.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Re: Thomas Fire

Postby carla » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 pm

This one is outrageous too. And enlightening. (this is reportedly a residential site)

https://twitter.com/CALFIRETCU/status/9 ... 1540019200

A water drop helicopter just went directly overhead; I'm in between a portable retardant station and the fire. Fire is "far" away, station is 2 miles away! They've mostly been north of me today, probably headed to Gibraltar Rd. On Friday I think it was they were overhead for 7 straight hours - thank goodness.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:48 pm

How is the smoke? I wouldn't be able to stay because of that.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 am

I wrote an informative reply, then I hit some key combo that took me off the site. :evil:

SB County and some other groups, like Direct Relief International (based here; we're proud of it) handed out tens of thousands of N95 masks, which can capture 3.5 micron pieces, I think. Simple medical paper masks are useless. There is still distribution of N95 masks today and tomorrow.

Smoke was horrible, many left town for that reason, it spread 75 miles away to the north. I'm sure it was horrible to the south; the Skirball Fire on the 405 was a horror too. That's less than 100 miles away. I lived near there for a short time; the back yard had a view of the 405; I once watched the traffic after a double trailer turned over, decades ago, 405 hwy was closed for many hours - at least 12.
Yes, survival prep is very important here. We only have 2 ways in and out, and they are easy to close. IF we get Rain this year, mudslides are a huge threat.

We and Ventura had orange light for days. I simply stayed indoors, some days I didn't even walk 20 feet to my mail box. Every window locked of course. I was lucky.

The fire really hit in Ventura County, SB did well, I think we lost 2 houses. Yesterday I was in line at grocery store behind someone who lived on Riven Rock, near East Mountain. Anyone ever read TC Boyle's book? She did not lose her house.

ALL evacuation notices were lifted today. We had blue sky. YAY!
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Yay! That has to be such a pain to be evacuated. Where the hell do you go?

We've had a lot of bad air warning days the past week or so, I think the fires may have something to do with it. We usually do get some fallout, we're only 500 miles from L.A.

I haven't heard of T C Boyle but I looked him up (He's a dude). Whoa.
T. Coraghessan Boyle is the author of twenty-six books of fiction, including, most recently, After the Plague (2001), Drop City (2003), The Inner Circle (2004), Tooth and Claw (2005), The Human Fly (2005), Talk Talk (2006), The Women (2009), Wild Child (2010), When the Killing's Done (2011), San Miguel (2012), T.C. Boyle Stories II (2013), The Harder They Come (2015) and The Terranauts (2016). He received a Ph.D. degree in Nineteenth Century British Literature from the University of Iowa in 1977, his M.F.A. from the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop in 1974, and his B.A. in English and History from SUNY Potsdam in 1968. He has been a member of the English Department at the University of Southern California since 1978, where he is Distinguished Professor of English. His work has been translated into more than two dozen foreign languages, including German, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Hebrew, Korean, Japanese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Finnish, Farsi, Croatian, Turkish, Albanian, Vietnamese, Serbian and Slovene. His stories have appeared in most of the major American magazines, including The New Yorker, Harper's, Esquire, The Atlantic Monthly, Playboy, The Paris Review, GQ, Antaeus, Granta and McSweeney's, and he has been the recipient of a number of literary awards, including the PEN/Faulkner Prise for best novel of the year (World's End, 1988); the PEN/Malamud Prize in the short story (T.C. Boyle Stories, 1999); and the Prix Médicis Étranger for best foreign novel in France (The Tortilla Curtain, 1997). He currently lives near Santa Barbara with his wife and three children.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 pm

The Whittier Fire, in SB county, started July 8, 2017.
It was officially declared totally out Dec. 31, 2017.
Holly witnessed this one.

They determine this by infrared scan. It's going to be a while; a long while, before the Thomas Fire is out; worst is Ventura County near Ojai,Santa Paula, and more. (I can't get the map to come up.) My county is fine.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm

okbye wrote:I haven't heard of T C Boyle but I looked him up (He's a dude). Whoa.

:D Yep, the McCormick Reaper family.
Boyle on Riven Rock (now a street name in Montecito): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riven_Rock
a review: http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/02/08/h ... riven.html
I've only read a couple of his books/stories! No way I can keep up with all I want and need to read.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Tell me about it. I have like 4000 books that "looked interesting" on my computer.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 pm

btw, i'm fine, physically. my heart hurts badly, emotionally.

destruction is only 8-9 miles from me, it's just another neighborhood in town, rather than a city. (it isn't defined as a city either, it's unincorporated. i'm rambling)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Butterbean » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Now the mudslides. Hope you're not in harm's way, Carla.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:49 pm

I was referring to mudslides. It happened early this a.m.
Death toll up to 13. Many homes not yet searched. I had my first good cry.

this cannot be comprehended, even by locals, without aerial video. I'm heart sick. helicopters still going overhead, but it's close to sunset.

the news will only get worse
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Oh wow. Don't they know these things are coming?
Are you still on fire? Next your going to have flaming mud sliding everywhere.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 am

Since all this rain has just happened drought is a little hard to claim, though technically true. The followup to all of this in the California tradition is an earthquake, which I wish on no one. Sending prayers, vibes and even considering drumbeats. The area has just had too much tragedy! What will happen to the area economy is ominous and, as Carla says, the death count is not looking good. Very, very sad.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Well not too many vibes!

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Return to General Chat