[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - SlimCado

SlimCado

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

SlimCado

Postby tj » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Anyone have any experience of this variety of avocado? Bought one for curiosity. It is presently hard as a rock. I am wondering if it has a thick skin or is simply unripe.
tj
Admiral Briner

Re: SlimCado

Postby Butterbean » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:19 am

I'd never heard of it before, but upon googling, it seems to be a Florida avocado (as opposed to a Haas). You probably just have an unripe one. It's been years, but I found them watery & stringy.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Interesting. Trying to find the cultivar or sub-species. I've had similar, thin-skinned avocados. They are watery to me. This pandering name is trademarked by grower Brooks Tropicals.

Sounds like a Choquette avo. Quiet simply, it's FL avo versus CA avo. :-)
If it tastes good, eat it. If it's edible and you're hungry, eat it.

These types do naturally have half the fat of Hass avos.

Types of Avocado
W - West Indian type avocados produce enormous, smooth round, glossy green fruits that are low in oil and weigh up to 2 pounds. They are summer- or fall-ripening. They have leathery, pliable, non-granular skin. Grown in Florida, West Indies, Bahamas, Bermuda, and the tropics of the Old World. Not grown in California.
https://toptropicals.com/html/toptropic ... vocado.htm

"Florida's small industry is focused on varieties like Choquette, Hall and Lulu — large, smooth-skinned fruits with juicy, sweet flesh popular among populations of Caribbean immigrants. One company, Brooks Tropicals, is even marketing these low-oil varieties as "SlimCados."

Yeah, Cooking Light wouldn't even eat them. There's good info in the comments. It's a matter of taste and fruit quality.
http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2 ... -slimcado/
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:14 am

Brooks Tropicals it is per the label. Butterbean and Carla, your comments match exactly with what I have heard. I am expecting the worst, if indeed it ever softens. Avocados of any sort are chancy in these parts. I'm not supposed to be eating them at all, but science must be servbed. Will let you know if it is as bad as it sounds. If so, by the way, the rest will donated to the Trump McDonald's.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:53 pm

I know I'm being a nerd, and beating an avocado, but stringiness has to do with growth conditions not the cultivar.
It's due to the age of the tree. I wonder if growing conditions affect it, my oranges go through drought changes. I know how disappointing browning and strings are when you cut one open! Avocado popularity leads to more growers and trees, and immature trees seem to be the cause of the stringiness. They won't ripen on the tree, but they also won't ripen if picked too early.
It was cool to work at a place that had a basket picker and trees on the property! Had one once at home, but not now.

tj, don't pay attention to its color, just its yielding to pressure. I'd have it with a bit of vinaigrette. (or mayo, but I love mayo.)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:46 am

I'm the Slim Shady, yes the real Slim Shady...oh, wait, no.

Never heard of it. We are so close to Mexico and California though that's what we get.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Well, I tried the marvellously large thing and it was not bad.I just was not the avocado taste I am used to Gorgeous yellow color with green just under the skin. Texture not as rough as I had be led to expect. Flavor pretty bland. I tried it plain and then with some pomegranate viaigrette from Chez Wendy's. It needed the dressing. I could see it with fresh black pepper and lemon or lime. It had a slight banana aroma.

This would be handy in some salsas or as a strretcher for a large batch of guacamole. The yellow color was really beautiful and would make an interesting garnish.

Since this great big avocado was about twice the size of a Hass and about ten cents cheaper, I, being cheap, would try it again.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:11 pm

tj wrote:Well, I tried the marvellously large thing and it was not bad.I just was not the avocado taste I am used to Gorgeous yellow color with green just under the skin.

Good to hear. Different styles of our favorite fruits and veggies are good to explore. Most of our allegiance, in this case, seems to be what we first taste -- the Ur Food. One reason snobs still indulge in commercial pizza. :)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:16 am

hWell, that is interesting. My first experience of pizza was Chef Boyardee from the box. Then later on we moved and the guy downstairs [Hank] made pizza while hanging out and drinking beer. I came home to a note from Mom once that said to call a phone number. The guy on the other end answered "City Morgue" and freaked me out. It was Hank. Pizza ensued.
tj
Admiral Briner

Return to General Chat