[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Is it really a big deal?

Is it really a big deal?

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

Is it really a big deal?

Postby tj » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:30 pm

I know it is a good deal more complicated than an omelet and a piece of toast, but what is the big deal about doing a Thanksgiving meal? The cooking sites have been in panic mode for the last month over it, You would think that baking a pie is a Cordon Bleu graduate exercise and that mashed potatoes required years of training. Sure, it is a bit more of a production than most Sunday meals but why so much angst? There must be some lesson in the devolution of society in all this fuss.
tj
Admiral Briner

Re: Is it really a big deal?

Postby okbye » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:34 am

I think a lot of people who don't cook much discover themselves in the position of making a full dinner and panic. Roasting a turkey isn't something you do often and it's a big investment to mess up. And you don't want to look like a fool in front of your entire family. And really, turkey isn't very good even when you do it perfectly. It's really bad when you mess it up.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Nitro » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:06 pm

I do know that when you host your first Thanksgiving after moving away from home, it's added stress as you really don't want to screw it up.

In our case, we didn't think to check both ends of the turkey.

Fortunately, that didn't exactly ruin things.
Nitro
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:26 pm

People whose parents didn't cook.
Clickbait.
Real, usable, necessary info. The Butterball Hotline is still in business, bless those ladies! (I wonder if there are any men?)
Bored readers like me who still look, a little, at least at Serious Eats.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Butterbean » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 pm

When you have to cook a BIG meal for more than the usual number of family, yes it is a big deal. Add in memories of great feasts of the past and expectations of others for the meal you're preparing, I'd say there's a basis for anxiety.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:05 am

I see your point, folks.

What I suppose that I am really addressing is the hype. From scanning the web, you would think that setting the table was a lost art and that planning a menu might require months of therapy. I ujust can't buy into that.

Meals on the scale of Thanksgiving were a regular feature of my youth. At least weekly and sometimes more often, the eleven of us in the immediate family woud gather about a roast, a ham, or whatever accompanied by potatoes, at least three vegetables, homemade rolls and homemade cakes or pies. There were various pickles and relish trays, the cranberry sauce was homemade, and the jam was made at home, too. If fried chicken was on the menu it was usually murdered, defeathered, gutted and dismembered right at home. Minus the fresh rolls and the pie, the same thing was daily dinner, just with fewer people. And by the way, the grocery store in that town was about the size of what we now call a corner store. Smaller than the 7-11's we are used to.

I also suppose that I have trouble admitting that the average cook these days just isn't used to regular meals on that scale.

Yep, I'm getting old.
tj
Admiral Briner

Return to General Chat