[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Kentucky Derby 2017

Kentucky Derby 2017

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

Kentucky Derby 2017

Postby Butterbean » Sat May 06, 2017 5:57 pm

The race used to be a big deal here back in the day. I know next to nothing about the field this year, but I rarely do on any year.

If I were betting, I would pick: Irish War Cry; Longshot pick: Thunder Snow.

Anybody else? Carla?

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Re: Kentucky Derby 2017

Postby okbye » Sun May 07, 2017 2:22 am

I was rooting for Patch, the horse with one eye, for obvious reasons. He didn't win.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Sun May 14, 2017 9:16 pm

I thought about it a month before, but didn't read horse racing news til a day or two before the Derby.

Had picked a favorite, Classic Empire. Also liked Irish War Cry. Always Dreaming, the winner, was not the favorite the day before. Patch was obviously crowd fave! (waves at Okbye) I was even interested in Tapwrit.

Winner is trained by Todd Pletcher, who is always worth betting on, though this is his second win in many tries. News pointed out that he had so many entries because the owners he trains for wanted to run, regardless of their chances.

A rather nondescript field this year. We'll see what happens May 20 at the Preakness.

Thank you, Thunder Snow, for a momentous Derby!
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Sun May 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Butterbean wrote:The race used to be a big deal here back in the day. I know next to nothing about the field this year, but I rarely do on any year.
If I were betting, I would pick: Irish War Cry; Longshot pick: Thunder Snow.
Anybody else? Carla?

Just realized our picks agree!
PF and I were about the only ones who were into it, beyond same day, julep and horse fun. But yes, there was discussion! :-)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Butterbean » Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 pm

carla wrote:PF and I were about the only ones who were into it, beyond same day, julep and horse fun. But yes, there was discussion! :-)

I would say quite a few briners were into it (the Derby); but you & PF were the only ones who knew anything about horse racing. :lol:

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 pm

That's what I tried to say by referring to "same day fun." 8)

Did you or anyone else enjoy Thunder Snow's bucking rampage video?! I still do.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Return to General Chat