[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Judith Jones, RIP

Judith Jones, RIP

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

Judith Jones, RIP

Postby carla » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Judith Jones, the editor who discovered Julia Child and advanced a generation of culinary writers that revolutionized cooking and tastes in American homes, and who for a half-century edited John Updike, Anne Tyler, John Hersey and other literary lions, died on Wednesday at her summer home in Walden, Vt. She was 93.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/j ... 22370&te=1

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/dini ... pe=article
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Re: Judith Jones, RIP

Postby Butterbean » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:44 pm

I saw that last week. :cry: Her cookbook, The Pleasures of Cooking for One, is lovely.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 pm

Simply to be remembered as the person who encouraged the publication of The Diary of Anne Frank in the US is a memorial fit for a heroine, but there is so much else. A truly remarkable person.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 am

^
:clap: YES!

I never knew until Jones' obituary, though I read the diary when I was a child.
Just think of it: Anne Frank's diary in a slush pile. She found, read and insisted it be published. She certainly had what it took to be a great editor. And she had taste, literally and figuratively; great intelligence and lots of guts/huevos.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Return to General Chat