[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Saturday Supper Serendipirty

Saturday Supper Serendipirty

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

Saturday Supper Serendipirty

Postby Butterbean » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Maybe not serendipity, but better than expected. Picked up some Atlantic salmon fillets at Food Lion (1" wide X 1" thick, cryovac'd). Had some leftover (2 tbs) Old Bay Hollandaise, 3 canned dolmas (rice stuffed grape leaves) from Trader Joe's, plus a salad. The salmon turned out to be skin-on (a plus for me). Best home supper I've had in a while.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Re: Saturday Supper Serendipirty

Postby Butterbean » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm

This weekend, I found in the megamart "spiced lamb meatballs" made by a local sausage company. The price could not be beat & they were fresh (not frozen). Not sure of this purchase, I paired it with a Knorr 4-cheese risotto packet, adding some past-its-prime asparagus. I had to sub light cream for milk in the risotto, which was a plus, and overall, it was a very nice supper.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 am

Admiring your talents for pulling this and that together. The asparagus was a great idea.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Had a low quality/standard grocery store NY strip steak the other night, at least I cooked it rare. And a full bunch of asparagus minus 1 or 2 spears I just couldn't finish. :lol:

A month or so ago, I bought lamb loin chops at the same store, second lamb purchase there in a year or more. I thought they'd change... Ha ha. Tasted like cardboard; couldn't tell it was lamb; it just tasted like meat/protein. My brother in OR had the same experience. I'm done with grocery stores; will only deal with farms and stores/butcher shops that sell for them.

The store I hate is Vons (Safeway). Used to shop at Ralph's (Kroger); they shut that store and the other one in town is more expensive, but I must commit to going there, as it's better.
Last time I got 4 cans of straw mushrooms for less than a buck each. Love those. And several other strange deals. Guess I shoulda bought the close-out can of Spotted Dick, dammit.

I have more asparagus, intend to have it with pasta, when it cools here.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 am

Butterbean wrote:canned dolmas (rice stuffed grape leaves) from Trader Joe's

How are those? Standard, I assume. In childhood, mom made lamb dolmas. So good. And rice.

(my Greek philosophy professor was my mentor in jr. college; I brought him some, with mom's intention and blessing. What a joy.)

I like rice too, but they are dull. I have not yet bought them at TJ's. Should I?
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Butterbean » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:50 pm

carla wrote:
Butterbean wrote:canned dolmas (rice stuffed grape leaves) from Trader Joe's

How are those? Standard, I assume.

Yes, standard. I like them, but I've had much better. I haven't had lamb dolmas in years :( . A local Greek restaurant used to make them with avgolemono (?) sauce.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 am

I did salmon yesterday, Sprouts had it on sale for $4.99/lb. I baked it with some chicken broth, garlic, butter, and herbes de Provence. It went over very well.

It was skin on whole filets but the grill isn't working and I will only eat the skin if it's crispy. Squishy fish skin is nasty.

We have Safeway here and I like the store a lot, they have good quality fresh food. BUT it's more expensive so you have to stick to buying what's on sale. Albertson's is the same people too and we have those also. Albertson's is even more expensive but they do massive sales, especially with meat. They frequently do buy one get 3 free with sirloin and rack ribs. We get the St Loius style ribs for $8.99/4 pounds.
We go to a different store for staple items, not as much selection but much cheaper.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Butterbean » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Albertson's is Acme up here. Expensive by comparison to other megamarts & not better by a long shot. Right now, they have a lock on my town, following the Pathmmark/SuperFresh bankruptcy, but that is slowly changing. Years ago, their meat was superior, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Return to General Chat