[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - kitchenaid attachment - got this one??

kitchenaid attachment - got this one??

General Chat for fans of Good Eats. Nothing is considered off topic (OT) here (but keep it clean, folks).

kitchenaid attachment - got this one??

Postby thatchairlady » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm

bought a "toy" for my KA stand mixer... "spiralizer" attachment. Supposedly, it cuts three different thicknesses of "noodles" and "ribbons", as well as peels... supposedly??

i bought pre-cut beet noodles one time and was thoroughly disappointed. they didbn't taste like beets... i suspect some sort of solution to keep veggies from turning brown?? The cost is crazy... like $7/lb... and i'm frugal. i have a hand-crank model that i found at a yard sale that works fine, except for the fact that i hove one arm that doesn't!?!

bought the attachment from W-mart on-line. it was $70... $30 less than in-store price and had NO shipping charge. Easy enough to assemble, but i can't get it to work?? the spike thingie that holds fruit/veggie in place just chews up that end. when i did get it to noodle a bit of sweet potato there's a chunk about 1.5" long that never gets processed?

if you have one of these, i would love to hear from you! I'll hold onto it a little while to see if i can get it to work, otherwise... just gonna take it back.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: kitchenaid attachment - got this one??

Postby tj » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 am

Do you mean WalMart? My other question is to ask if this is a KitchenAid brand attachment or from another company?

I'm sure both companies would stand behind their product and KitchenAid probably has someone who could help at
http://www.kitchenaid.com/contact-us/

Those attachments can be tricky, but once you get it going it looks like it ought to be a neat gizmo.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:53 am

bought off Walmart's web site but definitely Kitchen-aide attachment. after suggestions, watched a few youtube videos. thing problem might be me being a bit cautious and running at slowest speed. and i think they sent me a "Cadillac"?? that David guy (QVC or is it HSN) does a pitch and his bargain has 2 different slicing blades, 2 different spiralizing blades and a peeling blade... total of 5... $99.99 give or take. my thing has total of 7 blades and was $69.99 online... no shipping.

I've been a bit "disabled" since mid-May with a busted arm. pretty limited in use of hand/elbow/arm but making slow progress thru PT. could probably use veggie peeler on carrots but not potatoes. if i can get that part to work alone will be a very good thing.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-26069 ... NwodoJwGRg
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Ugh, it sucks being down a limb.

I haven't tried that attachment but it sounds like fun. I've tried the little hand held spiralizer thingys and they just suck. You get about 3" of spirals out of a zucchini. And I don;'t really have enough hand strength to make them work right. I might have to look into one of those if it works out.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Just had another brainstorm (watch out.) Try practicing with potatoes. If they don't come out right you can always chunk the results up and boil to make mashed or potato cakes.

Once you get the hang of it you will practically run to the apple orchard because the hard part of making pies is over! If you happen to be good at deep frying you can make neat fries with the potato peels or chop and freeze to use in meatloaf.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:42 am

TJ... you were reading my mind... what's left of it. a 5lb bag of spuds is cheap.

okbye... i looked at those little hand held ones but was obvious to me that there was a flaw in the design?!. and it takes 2 hands... that an't workin' right now. the yard sale, counter-top (suction cups) model works well but takes a little muscle for hard things like potatoes.

WHEN i get this thing figured out, i'll post some pics.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 am

Potatoes is a good idea. They're getting $1.49 for zucchini lately. That's just crazy! The stuff grows like weeds in summer.

With the little hand one I noticed your vegetable had to be perfect - perfect size and shape and no dings or bruises. Well not that many vegetables are perfect, so trouble ensued. It would go along ok for a short time then stop so you ended up with a pile of squishy vegetable remnents.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:02 am

Ew! Squishy vegetable remnants! Sounds like soup to me though and I like soup.

Odd thing in the grocery store ad today: summer squash which were $1.69/lb. in the summer are 99 cents now that November has come. Whoda thunk? Must be growing in South America or somewhere but how they could afford to ship them and have them be so much cheaper is strange.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 pm

They went on sale here this week too. Sprouts has them for .50/lb (which probably the lowest I've ever seen) and the regular grocery is .89/lb. THey were just 1.49 last week.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:46 pm

I also find the attachment extremely expensive. Are spiralized vs sliced or diced veggies that worth it? (shrug)
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:41 pm

What I think it's good for is you can make zucchini act pretty much like spaghetti noodles, if you are on a diet or avoiding carbs. It's also more attractive.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:13 pm

i keep thinking aout the gizmo. Is it a pitch by KitchenAid to get on the bandwagon or is it a reconition by KitchenAir that the spiralizing of food is here to stay and, if so, does it add to the trend's momentum?

Yes, I have been reading too much speculative press today, ut it may give you something to think about other than politics.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:38 pm

did get it to work. problem was being to conservative with speed. now problem is... a part snapped off the peeler part!?! WTH?? you do end up with about an inch of whatever you're peeling/slicing/spiralizing that is sorta "waste"... videos don't show that!
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Squash will never approximate pasta. (says she who just boiled a pot of short egg noodles. Dressed with butter, sauteed ground turkey and tiny Brussel sprouts to accompany/mix in.)

Just do something delicious with the squash without making it noodle-shaped! I vote for a casserole/ using veg for pasta sheets. Or a giant pan of diced sauteed veg with scrambled egg to finish (lived on that & ramen and pasta in college).

Chair Lady, SO good to see ya! :-)
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby thatchairlady » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Carla... haven't been here much lately. wonder if place will perk up after AB returns with some form of Good Eats?

saying spiralized zukes can mimic pasta (in any way other than shape) is like saying plain rice cakes are delicious!?! :wink:
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Well, yes, but can you ry out spiralized zucchini in molds to make pseudo-rice cakes? I like some of the salads I have seen amd thing that you could make great spiral fries and I wonder about spiralized fruits like apples and pears combined in a galette.
tj
Admiral Briner

Return to General Chat