[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Questions for the gym rats

Questions for the gym rats

Discuss nutrition and fitness, find help with your diets, nutritious recipes, etc.

Moderator: mojopox

Questions for the gym rats

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 am

How often do you go to the gym?

Do you do the same routine every visit?

How often do you change your routine?
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am

I go 5-6 times a week: weight training MWF, high-intensity cardio intervals on TR, and a longer cardio session on the weekend if I have the time and inclination. I'm lucky because my gym is a five-minute walk from my office, so I go on my lunch hour; I don't know how I'd fit it in otherwise. I'll change the weight program when I start to get tired of a particular routine, about every 6-8 weeks or so. Cardio doesn't really change, although I do try to vary the activities between treadmill, bike, elliptical, and erg. I'd really like to swim more, but my skill level is slightly above 'drowning guy', so I get worn out too soon; I may invest in some remedial lessons at some point.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby LucyLu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:16 pm

I go to the gym three days a week, Mon., Wed., Fri., in the mornings. I do the same routine every visit, but change up that routine every month or so. I add more time to my cardio (I am almost at my goal of 40mins.) and increase the weight on all of my resistance training. I can't say I vary the exercises themselves much, as I try to cover a bit of everything in my workout, but I do try and make everything more challenging each consecutive month.

Why ask? You starting a up?

-L
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 am

LucyLu wrote:Why ask? You starting a up?

Just curious.

I go 5 days a week then 2 off. Every workout starts with 35 minutes of cardio. I alternate weight days between a lighter day of single set circut weight training and a "heavy" day of 3 set free weight exercises.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby calkat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:30 am

I try to go 2-3 times a week. Same thing every time - either swimming or treadmill. My doc told me I should lift weights, so I guess I should add that in. I also take dance classes every so often (e.g lyrical, tap, hip hop) which is great exercise. No one will ever see me dance - but that is a good thing.
calkat
Commander Briner

Re: Questions for the gym rats

Postby Lovestolaugh » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:44 pm

I've been going faithfully to the gym for 12 years.
I go 4 times a week for about an hour-hour and a half each time.
I try to skip a day in between here and there to let my muscles rest.
I have 4 different workouts that I rotate.
I alternate lower body day, upper body day, lower body day, upper body day.
The following workout is great for women such as I, or men, it doesn't matter.

day one: 3 sets of 10 of each of these: barbell squats, split barbell squats, standing squat machine, leg extension machine,hamstring curl machine {laying down}, of calf raise machine.

Day two: 3 sets of 10 of each of these: bench press with barbell, chest press with dumbbells, tricep extension, dumbbell flys, dumbbell curls standing.

Day three: 3 sets of 10 of each of these: Bicep curl machine, tricep push down machine, lateral pull down machine, chest press machine, shoulder raise machine {I'm not sure the correct name of that one}.

Day four: 3 sets of 10 of each of these: glute machine, smith machine, hack squat machine, standing squat machine,leg extension machine, laying down hamstring curl machine.

**** on every one of these workout days I always do Abs/stomach: I do 100 crunches, and two sets of 50 =100 total, laying on back-head on the floor- hands under but low leg raises {raise legs only a couple inches off the floor.}

*Stick to this routine and you will be in great shape. It takes about 6 months if you stay with it to start to see some major changes. You will see changes before that, but 6 months is when I really noticed more changes.
*Having a workout that changes from day to day will give you more results than one that doesn't. Your muscles have 'memory' and if you do the same thing all the time your muscles will remember what your doing and they wont improve they will stay where they are. However if you change it up, your muscles don't know what is coming and they adapt to the change in workout by growing stronger. Not to mention a change in routine makes it more interesting for the person working out so you don't get board. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Last edited by Lovestolaugh on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Lovestolaugh
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby aslansavz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:04 pm

I got 3-4 times per week with 30 min treadmill walking and 15 min freeweight and crunch/stretch. I'm a beginner, and am still having to adjust routines so I can make it to the next workout, though I am on a 2.5 week break with a tendon injury (go figure - just when I was starting to enjoy working out, I get messed up LOL).
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Jikuu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:47 pm

When my husband and I were going to the gym, we were advised to do 10-15 minutes of warm up on the elliptical followed by about 30 minutes of weightlifting on various muscles groups. Every third day was running on the elliptical for about 45 minutes. Generally, the gym advisor we had told us not to work out more than an hour or else cortisol (I think that's the item) builds up in the body and starts storing fat.
We were going three times a week, but we've gotten to the point where we don't have time to go (literally, school and work from 8 AM to 9 PM some nights). We had stayed on the routine that we were told to do and hadn't deviated, but I admit I was starting to get bored with it all. I generally preferred learning something like martial arts when working on physical fitness.
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. ~Leo Buscaglia
Jikuu
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby aarenlainey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:28 am

Hi all, I have been training for the past 6 years and got no where. I have been going to the gym but no results. So i have decided to get some kit for home. Im 6ft weight about 95kilo. Got nice shape but there is some fat. I have bought 2x 10kilo plates 2x 5kilo plates a standard 7ft barbell (could not afford the olympic) pull up bar and some press up bars. I intend with my next pay cheque to double up on the weight plates. My questions are:

1. What is the maximum weight i can use on my standard barbell, i know its gonna be ok for arm curls but what about deadlits where the weight is higher dont want to bend the bar

2. Where can i get a decent bench that folds away and will support me and 50kilo dumbells

3. Does training at home work ???
aarenlainey

Postby Myrealana » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 am

When I used to go to the gym, I alternated days between cardio and strength. Three days a week, I did the elliptical and running, followed by a quick swim and steam. The other three days, I used the weight machines. I would do 2 sets of 20 reps on a difficult but not painful weight, then move the weight up one step and do as many reps as I could.

It was the strength training recommended in a fitness book my cousin the chiropractor gave me. 2 sets to build endurance, and then lift until failure to build new muscle.

For the last six months, I've been doing all my strength at home - kettlebells and Wii Fit. I've seen better results, probably more because it's easier to be consistent week after week when I don't have to leave the house.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby bradj » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:53 am

If your new to it go 3 times a week and try to vary it so you don't ge bored. The most important thing in the first 3 weeks is don't go all out you will put yourself off. After 6 weeks you should have some fitness back and I would then get a session with a personal trainer.
bradj

Return to Fitness Forum