[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - One hundred push-ups program

One hundred push-ups program

Discuss nutrition and fitness, find help with your diets, nutritious recipes, etc.

Moderator: mojopox

Postby chefshawn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 pm

tomorrow, i'm tryin day 2, which i believe is a total of 50 pushups between the 5 sets.

one major difference i notice, though, between this program and the perfect pushup plan, is the fact that these sets are but a minute or more apart, while the pp plan lets you spread the short burst through the day.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby holliebrooke726 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 pm

chefshawn wrote:so, how'd it go, you two?

i only just now checked into this forum for the first time in forever. i noticed this thread, then noticed how, like far too many fitness goal-oriented threads, it just...stopped.

did either of you finish?

anyone wanna try again, versus me? i'll be surprised if i can pull off more than 10 regular pushups.

upstairs, i have a set of "prefect pushups" that i used for a few weeks, and felt like i got nowhere. i did alternative pushups on my knees, with a thin pillow under my kneesto keep the carpet from rubbing them off. i think i'ld like to try the 100-way without the perfect pushup devices. i think they may actually make it harder, but i have not tested this theory.

shawn

(i'll p.m. you two if i dont hear from you in a couple of days.)

Nope, I never finished. It's a VERY aggressive program and in order to keep up I actually had to do extra push-ups. It was nice seeing some definition in my arms and shoulders though so I'd be willing to try it again!
holliebrooke726
Lieutenant Junior Grade Briner

Postby chefshawn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:54 am

so, yesterday morning, i just BARELY eeked out the end of the workout. the last set of 13, even after the two minute rest, took everything i had.

one thing this workout lacks, is suggestions for building up core muscles, maybe on off days, to help the arms support the body's weight on pushup days. if you're only doing pushups, you're not goona go far. at least, that's what i think.

i'll keep you all posted on week two.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 am

week 2, day 1

i was very surprised to finish today's pushups as easily as i did. it helps, i suppose, to have my good friend "the general" cheer me on through the second set. retired 3 star general bob tiebout is a family friend of the foxes. he's pushin 70, and is at the gym before dawn i believe 4-5 days a week for his military-style workout.

anyway, the minimum today was 63, and i JUUUUST eeked out 2 more at the end for a total of 65 pushups.

wednesday, i'm due for 71.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Sun May 03, 2009 9:28 am

at the end of week 2, i just did my "progress test." i scored a 22, if you wanna count the weak final one. according to the chart, that puts me in the middle of the three tiers of pushup fitness, and i should be expected to knock out 72 pushups on monday, which is down, actually from what i did on friday, which was 83.

i'm glad it's having me bring it down a notch.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 pm

today was week 4, day 1.

after just three weeks, i've more than doubled my pushups, but i'm skeptical at the very least that i should be able to do 100 pushups by the time i'm done. the last of the five sets today yielded me 27 pushups, and my wife says that my form is good enough (i cant see my form on my own, and i wonder if i'm going low enough). so, today's total was 99 pushups in about 15 minutes.

there are three weeks left in this six week program, and i have a "progress test" to take at the end of this weekend, where i hope to perform at least 36 good form pushups in a row, nonstop.

wish me luck, or please, play along with me at hundredpushups.com.

and, just for the hell of it, i'm gonna try to start the two hundred situps program next week. why not?

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Wed May 13, 2009 7:49 am

week 4, workout 2:

after 30 minutes on the tread mill, i was ready to try my pushups today. i knew i had at least 113 to do, divided into sets of 20,25,20,20 and 28+.

the fourth set i fell during. i made it to 16 of the 20 before my body gave in, then i got another 2, then another two to complete the set. i decided to wait as long as possible to do the final set, which is always "to exhaustion."

after 4 minutes of the 90 "ideal" rest period, i knocked out all 28, with the last 3 being a SERIOUS effort. i may have hurried through some of them, and i'm not sure my form was good on every one, but i'm content.

i have no idea how i'm gonna get thru friday's workout. i can envision having to repeat this week.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 am

attempt two at week 4, workout 3.

this is the second time i've attempted week 4, and it's a BEAST. i will have to try again next week. i was supposed to be able to do 29,33,29,29,and36 pushups, each set separated by a 2 minute rest. i didnt even get close. i managed 29,16,20,13,13 for a grand total of 91 pushups in around 12 minutes. granted, that aint bad!

i can feel a little more definition in my shoulders and chest. i need to find some good ways to stretch my back out.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby geimerst » Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 pm

chefshawn wrote: i need to find some good ways to stretch my back out.

May I suggest... the rack ?

:P :wink:
geimerst

Postby chefshawn » Fri May 29, 2009 11:15 am

week 4, attempt 3, workout 3

holy crap, i just did 144 pushups in about 20 minutes!!! no, i didnt do them all at once, which is the final goal of this workout plan, but i DID pull off three of the 5 sets i was supposed to be able to muster. it involved resting for double the 2 minute recommendation between sets, but i feel good about it.

i had to repeat week 4 (or as i recall it, weak 4) twice, which puts me at 6 weeks into this program already, with what should only be two more weeks to go.

my upper arms actually have a little definition in them. it's nice to know that i really do have muscle under all that cheeseburger and barbecue.

i have tallied 1,634 pushups in the past six weeks. tomorrow, i finish week one of the 200 situps program. i'm looking forward to that, as well as later getting into the 200 squats program. and, to go one step further, i have looked up various resources and techniques for doing pullups. i cannot do one as it stands, and have found some an interesting program on menshealth.com for guys that need to start from zero. i copied the information onto a pocketmod guide that i designed, and am looking forward to my first set of ten pushups, maybe by the end of summer.

who knows, i may even be willing to take my shirt off this year at the beach...cuz you gotta have goals.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 am

week 5, workout 2

i never fully completed week 4's goals, but i had to move on, nonetheless. i decided to simply take another progress test on saturday, and try week 5 this week. i really dont care if i'm on week 5 for a month, cuz i'm still enjoying the pushups.

today, i was supposed to knock out sets of 18,18,20,20,16,16,14, and at least 40. each set was to be separated by 45 seconds of rest.

i got damn close. i knocked out every set with right at 60 seconds between each. i did wait at least 3 minutes before the final set, but managed 27 of the ideal 40. it was damn hard, but i got it all done in 13 minutes, which is a new record for me!

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:52 pm

ok, so i've come to a conclusion, after doing pushups on this program for 12 weeks, now. 100 consecutive pushups cannot be done. flat out fact, right there, and anyone that says any different is lying. i have yet to see a youtube video of any average joe doing 100 pushups in a row.

there, i feel better.

i got stuck just above the 40 pushup mark, and have since even fallen back into the high 30's on weekly progress tests. i'll check it again on sunday.

along the same lines, i've been doing squats and situps (crunches, actually). theoretically, i should be able to wok up to 200 of each, CONSECUTIVELY. again, cant be done.

i've tallied so far:

4000+ pushups in 12 weeks
2700+ situps in 7 weeks
and 1300+ squats in 2.5 weeks

so, there.

not to say i'm giving up these regular workouts, but i may be "adjusting" them to something a little closer to reality for me.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Re: One hundred push-ups program

Postby Abfreak91 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm glad I found this I'm gonna give it a go!
Abfreak91
Seaman Recruit Briner

Re: One hundred push-ups program

Postby chefshawn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:39 pm

so, how'd it go so far?

drop me a p.m. clearly, i dont make it to this forum much anymore.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Previous

Return to Fitness Forum