[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Black belt here I come!

Black belt here I come!

Discuss nutrition and fitness, find help with your diets, nutritious recipes, etc.

Moderator: mojopox

Black belt here I come!

Postby Myrealana » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:28 pm

While huffing, puffing and limping my way off the mat at the end of last Saturday's karate tournament, I came to a realization.

I am never going to make black belt with these knees!

I just can't keep up, and I'm only a purple belt. I'm not even half-way through my journey. I've never wanted anything for myself as badly as I want that black belt, and it's quite simply impossible -- unless I make some big changes.

I can't get new knees, but I can take off the extra pounds that make their job so hard, and I can make them work better by strengthening the muscles around them.

Inspired in part by Alton Brown's recently slimmed-down chassis, I've jumped back on the South Beach bandwagon full force. If someone who lvoes food as much as he does can change, then I can too. I started on Monday and so far I've stuck to the plan 100%. I can't say I haven't been tempted. We had a family reunion yesterday with cake and three kinds of homemade ice cream, but somehow, the black belt is more of an inspiration to me than skinny jeans, or lower blood pressure, or even the thought of being around longer for my family. I resisted, and I felt good about it instead of deprived.

The second part of my plan is to make the knees I have work better by strengthening the muscles around them. I already get some killer aerobic exercise three days a week in karate, but that's not helping my muscles grow stronger. To do that, I've added a daily Kettlebell workout. I've got a 15lb weight, and I'm working with it every afternoon. I can feel the muscles in my thighs and back working. I'm only on a basic workout right now, and I can only handle three sets of 6 for each of three basic moves now. That will improve with time, of course.

In my first week, I lost 6 lbs. Obviously, I don't expect that to continue. I'm aiming for an average of 2 lbs a week through the end of 2009.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby aslansavz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm

WOOT! Good for you. My DH and oldest just got their blue belts yesterday! He's definitely started losing weight faster since taking TaeKwonDo than he was before with just his daily workouts because it's a whole different kind of workout. (and he's down 108 lbs now!)

I'm glad for you! Much success!!!
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: Black belt here I come!

Postby todd » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:16 am

Little by little it will all come together for you!
I KNOW you can do it! :clap:
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 am

8 lbs down.

This week, the weight hasn't been melting off as fast as it did last week, but that's to be expected.

I've stuck to the diet plan about 90% this week. I'm almost craving-free, and I've come up with a lot of ways to stick with the plan without turning into a rabbit from eating too many salad. My #1 food rule is NO FAST FOOD, and I've stuck to that one. I've been tracking my daily food intake on www.sparkpeople.com, and I've stayed within my recommended range on calories and fat every day - though I have strayed from the South Beach food list in a couple of minor ways on occasion.

I have NOT been doing my kettlebells and I've got to get on that. I've got a karate practice schedule and I've added my kettlebells as a part of that, instead of a separate exercise. I think that will help keep me on track.

I'm aiming for my blue belt test by the end of September. If I follow my practice schedule, I should get there.

GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 am

I'm rooting for you Myrealana! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm making progress.

My blue belt test is scheduled for the end of October. My kata is strong, but there are 83 techniques cumulative from yellow to blue and I'm still getting some of them confused. There's no fudging at this level. Blue is the official halfway point - after this is green and three degrees of brown before I get to black. At this point in my training, I have to be faster, more precise, and making connections more quickly.

Sparring last night. We had a new black belt come spar with us. He complimented my technique above all the guys in the class. My hands are fast. My kicks are weak, but I'm in there with 3-4 punches in the time it takes most of them to throw one kick or punch. Don't get me wrong, he thoroughly kicked my ass, but I got in some good shots.

12 lbs lost so far. The diet goes well some days, and not so well others. Slow and steady. Slow and steady.

GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:08 pm

I signed up with Slimgenics last week. (Formerly Slim4Life) My Christmas present to myself and my family is a new me.

I have never been able to stick to a diet in my life. Maybe if I've dropped over $1300 on one, I'll find the motivation to keep it up. I'm at my wit's end with the weight loss. My mom did the diet a few years ago, and she lost a steady 3lbs a week. She admitted it was the hardest diet plan she'd ever followed, but the individual attention and constant check-ins kept her on track. She only left the plan when the trip to the center became too much for her. My center is right next to the martial arts studio, so checking in for me is easy.

I've already started unwrapping - 7.2 lbs down.

Christmas was hard on a diet, but I did mostly stick to it, so that's something.

The plan is very strict. No "flex points" or cheat days, or anything. About 1200 calories per day, 3x weekly check-ins, strict food lists. They say that you can eat out on the plan, but I really don't see how - unless you have a plain green salad. Still, it's not forever. The plan is 28-36 weeks of strict adherence to get the weight off, then 4 weeks of transition, and 12 weeks of learning to eat on my own - and then I'm free. Like Weight Watchers - as long as you stay within 10 lbs of your goal weight, you're a lifetime member with free counseling and weigh ins, so I can keep checking in and see if I start to slip.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:22 am

You go girl. I mean Myre. :clap:
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Myrealana » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 am

By the way, I DID earn the blue belt.

I'm officially half-way to black - and it only gets harder from here.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:22 am

Ugh!

Slimgenics is HARD.

I have to talk to my counselor. I was so weak last night, I couldn't keep up in karate. That's not acceptable. The primary reason for losing the weight is karate - I have to be able to keep up in class or losing the weight is pointless.

I'm down 10 lbs, but 0 flexibility from their food list is kind of stifling.

6 months. It's only for 6 months.
The black belt is worth it.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 am

The hardest part of any diet is the point between that initial big loss and the slow, steady weight loss that will go on for the duration.

You know, that point where it's not completely ingrained yet, but it seems like forward progress has stopped? The down-side of the high you get when that first 10 lbs comes off so easily?

Well, that's where I am. I made the mistake of weighing in early last Friday morning, knowing that my morning weight is usually better than my evenings. I had hit the 10 lb mark and I was on a high!

But since then, I've been weighing in the evenings, and I'm still not down to were I was that morning. I have my last weigh-in for the week tomorrow evening, and I fear I'm going to see an overall gain for the week. As of last nights weigh-in I was up .5 lb for the week so far.

I tell myself it's not real weight gain. I know from experience that my weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs during the day as I eat and drink. I drink a LOT of water. A LOT. A pint's a pound the world around.

So intellectually, I can think of the weight from last Friday as really being 205-206, making last night's 203.5 a loss, comparatively. But it feels like a failure. I've been SO good this week, and the numbers aren't showing it.

This is the point where every diet in the past has failed. This is the point I reach, and I look at myself, my scale and what I've given up and I think "It's not worth it. It's too hard."

I HAVE to get myself past this point. If I can get past this trough, I can get back on a sustained high of small, steady losses.

I can't put this off any longer. It has to be NOW.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 am

I take it back. The hardest part isn't that first slow down in weight loss. It's just the hardest part that I've ever actually reached.

The hardest part so far is the first real plateau. 17 lbs lost and then NOTHING for 2 weeks.

But, I broke that on Friday and I'm down a total of 20 as of last Friday.

And I can do 5 push ups. I'm going to have to do 100 for my black belt, so I've still got a long way to go.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 am

I'm getting disillusioned with the whole Slimgenics plan.

On Monday, I was talking to my counselor and I said "Let's be honest, one sample of something I really, really wanted wouldn't hurt anything," and she launched into a spiel about how even one bite could throw off the "formula."

There is no magical, mystical formula to losing weight. The only magic in the Slimgenics program is that they have a carefully designed program that gets 100% of your daily nutrient requirements in while keeping you under 1000 calories most days. No magic - just a high caloric deficit.

They give me conflicting information. One day, a counselor tells me it's OK to have beef on Thursday, cottage cheese on Friday and tuna on Saturday, and then three days later a different counselor tells me I have to have a day between each of those things. I ask about using 96% fat free ground beef and I'm told it's great, and then a couple of weeks later, the new person tells me that the 4 oz of that same beef on Tuesday is why I gained a pound this week.

I already gave up on asking "Why" when they tell me something. They've got 3 canned answers, and they mix and match as seems appropriate, but they don't really know why I can have scallions and dried onions but not actual onions, or why I can have green and red peppers and jalapenos, but poblano peppers are out. :wall:

It's working, but I'm obsessing about food, and hungry a lot of the time. I'm thinking about taking some time off - not to go hog wild with eating everything in sight, but to try and stick to a sensible diet on my own without obsessing about a food list and exact servings etc. Just eat a diet rich in veggies and lean proteins with a few fruits and whole grains thrown in and see where it gets me.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Myrealana wrote:
It's working, but I'm obsessing about food, and hungry a lot of the time. I'm thinking about taking some time off - not to go hog wild with eating everything in sight, but to try and stick to a sensible diet on my own without obsessing about a food list and exact servings etc. Just eat a diet rich in veggies and lean proteins with a few fruits and whole grains thrown in and see where it gets me.

I think that might be a wise decision on your part. My understanding is that you are working out a lot for your training also and it doesn't sound like you are getting enough food to fuel that much training. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Myrealana wrote:I'm getting disillusioned with the whole Slimgenics plan.

On Monday, I was talking to my counselor and I said "Let's be honest, one sample of something I really, really wanted wouldn't hurt anything," and she launched into a spiel about how even one bite could throw off the "formula."

There is no magical, mystical formula to losing weight. The only magic in the Slimgenics program is that they have a carefully designed program that gets 100% of your daily nutrient requirements in while keeping you under 1000 calories most days. No magic - just a high caloric deficit.

They give me conflicting information. One day, a counselor tells me it's OK to have beef on Thursday, cottage cheese on Friday and tuna on Saturday, and then three days later a different counselor tells me I have to have a day between each of those things. I ask about using 96% fat free ground beef and I'm told it's great, and then a couple of weeks later, the new person tells me that the 4 oz of that same beef on Tuesday is why I gained a pound this week.

I already gave up on asking "Why" when they tell me something. They've got 3 canned answers, and they mix and match as seems appropriate, but they don't really know why I can have scallions and dried onions but not actual onions, or why I can have green and red peppers and jalapenos, but poblano peppers are out. :wall:

I have a dear, dear (and actually smart) friend who is addicted to seminars of various types. Granted, it energizes and motivates him, and he makes connections.

But I told him long ago he should be GIVING them not GOING to them... THAT'S where the $$$ is.
(I'm a long-time cynic anyway.)

Keep it up, Myre. You're doing great.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Myrealana » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:22 am

It's been a while since I checked in here.

I fell off the wagon - HARD a couple of weeks ago.

Luckily, there was a bunch of food there to cushion the fall.

For about three days I ate relatively normally, then on Oscar night, I totally pigged out.

And then, it was more or less out of my system. I began Slimgenics again and it's going OK. I treated it completely like starting over. I went through their 3-day prep phase, cleaned out my cabinets, and went shopping for new things. I'm following the plan strictly again, and I've lost all the weight I gained on my binge, plus a couple of lbs.

I'm really doing it this time. Really.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm

My teacher asked me to please start coming early to help teach the kids class. (My adult blue belt is equivalent to a Jr. Black Belt)

It will be a great opportunity for me to get in a bit more activity and to strengthen my lower level techniques and katas while I continue to work on my adult belt progression.

I don't get paid for it, but he will give me and Alaric free sparring and belt tests while I'm teaching, so it saves a few bucks. Mostly I do it because it's so much fun, though.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Sun May 02, 2010 7:05 pm

We have a visiting black belt helping in class for eight weeks.

He's tough. I call him "Sensei Drill Sergent" - well, not to his face...

I'm covered in bruises - but my techniques are stronger than ever, and I'm itching to try another tournament with all I've learned about sparring in the last few months.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby todd » Mon May 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Sounds like you're ready to "KICK SUM ASS!" :wink:
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Wed May 05, 2010 2:37 am

Myrealana wrote:We have a visiting black belt helping in class for eight weeks.

He's tough. I call him "Sensei Drill Sergent" - well, not to his face...

I'm covered in bruises - but my techniques are stronger than ever, and I'm itching to try another tournament with all I've learned about sparring in the last few months.

^5!
Go get 'em, Myre.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Sharona » Mon May 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Myrealana wrote:I'm covered in bruises - but my techniques are stronger than ever, and I'm itching to try another tournament with all I've learned about sparring in the last few months.

How's it going now? Go Go Go! I'd love to hear how the tournament goes.

Fencing classes left me with a pattern of quarter-sized little bruises everywhere until I switch to sabre. Then it left me with striped bruises :)

Worst injury I ever got in TKD class was a massive shiner when working with a newly-promoted student* who had been sparring all of one week. I wanted full plate mail when sparring them, because they had not yet learned control. The big bruises on the shins, no problem, pants would hide those at work ... but half my face deep purple-blue? People at work flipped out..

*My husband. The poor guy was horrified.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Myrealana » Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 am

Some of us finally sat down and had a long heart-to-heart with our teacher about Sensei Drill Sergent (SDS) last night.

About half the students have just stopped coming while he's in town - my son included. They just don't enjoy getting hit that hard, that often.

I mean, we all understand that karate is a contact activity. And we all understand that part of learning to dish it out involves learning to take it. We do get that.

But the fact that we CAN take the hits doesn't mean that we're comfortable with taking them all the time. I went home one evening unable to use my right arm because SDS hit me so hard, so many times in exactly the same spot. My job requires me to use my mouse all day long - I can't be sitting at my desk with my arm cradled against my stomach.

I'm more that a little angry with our head teacher. He says he's "talked about it" and he is supportive of those who want to take a break, but I think he should stand up one way or the other. Either he needs to get in OUR faces and say this is the way it's going to be - or he needs to tell SDS he's not welcome any more. Instead, he lets SDS run his students off, and then complains about him with the rest of us. For someone so physically strong, he can be very weak.

I told Alaric that if he decides to come back to class, he needs to stand up and say something any time he thinks the level of contact is too hard, and if it doesn't get better, come straight to me. I'll stand between him and SDS any time - if he wants to hit someone, let him hit me, not a 100lb 15-year-old kid.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue May 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Can you talk directly to SDS? That sucks he's ruining everyone's enjoyment of the class. Maybe he doesn't realize how strong he is, or maybe he's a big ol' bastard and doesn't need to be in the class anyway. Talk to him and find out which it is.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Wed May 26, 2010 12:29 am

okbye wrote:Can you talk directly to SDS? That sucks he's ruining everyone's enjoyment of the class. Maybe he doesn't realize how strong he is, or maybe he's a big ol' bastard and doesn't need to be in the class anyway. Talk to him and find out which it is.

+1

Holy Moly, Myre, I had NO idea from what you wrote earlier that it was THAT bad. From what little I know, sounds like anti-karate philosophy? (shrug. I'm ignorant of it. But it doesn't sound good.)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Return to Fitness Forum