[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Why do they call is losing weight...

Why do they call is losing weight...

Discuss nutrition and fitness, find help with your diets, nutritious recipes, etc.

Moderator: mojopox

Why do they call is losing weight...

Postby Myrealana » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

...when you get it back without having to look for it.

Such an imprecise use of language. When I lose my keys, they don't just show up on my hips a few weeks later. But "lose" a few pounds and vif you're not careful, before long, they're right back where they came from - and more often than not, they bring friends.

Three years ago, I lost 40 lbs. I did karate 2 hours a day 3 days a week, and worked out on the Wii Fit every day. I paid a couple thousand bucks to Slimgenics to have their diet counselors give me their BS reasons why I could have green onions but not red, yellow or white, and basdger me if I went 3 days without losing a pound. I didn't even manage to lose all the weight I wanted, but I did go from "obese" to "overweight" and went from a size 18 to a size 12.

Only here it is and I'm straining the seams of my size 16 jeans. I know I really should move up, but I can't bring myself to do it.

So, I'm back on the nutrition and exercise wagon. I've got 14 weeks before we leave for London. I aim to lose 25 lbs by then. And when I say lose, I mean LOSE. Really lose. like my kids lose homework lost - sent into a void from which there is no return. Really, truly LOST.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Re: Why do they call is losing weight...

Postby carla » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Kick ass, woman!

your analysis of the language was quite well said. :D
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 am

I can't tell you about the terminology but I can tell you why you gain it back. When you diet to lose it you eventually stop the diet and go back to the same eating that made you fat in the first place. Diets don't work. You have to find a way of eating that is healthy and won't make you gain weight and stick to it, for the rest of your life. When you exercise on top of that you will lose weight, but as long as you keep your healthy eating plan you won't gain the weight back if you quit exercising. You have to learn to like veggies, and to limit your bad foods. Eliminating bad foods or only eating a certain kind of food or anything else that is extreme enough that you can't do it forever won't work. It never, ever does, even if you lose weight for awhile. You will always gain it back unless you make permanent, livable changes. It's not as simple as going on a diet, you have to change your life.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Myrealana » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm going cold turkey on fast food. That's one weakness I know I have to combat.

I wish those places didn't take credit cards. But, since they do, I took my cards out of my wallet. I'll just have to make sure I plan ahead for filling my gas tank and no more stopping by the store on the way home. I'll have to make a special trip out of it. Considering I'm usually hungry when I hit the store, that's probably a good thing.

I'm using a modified version of the Slimgenics program that worked so well for me before.

Daily minimums (more of any allowed to feel satisfied):
5 servings of vegetables
4 servings of fruit
3 servings lean protein
64 oz plain water
3 cups unsweetened green tea
30 minutes exercise

Daily maximums:
2 servings whole grain starch

Plus:
1 multi-vitamin
1 TB heart-healthy oils
3 servings low fat dairy

Weekly maximums:
1 dessert
1 glass of wine/beer (I don't drink much anymore anyway.)
1 serving "white" starch like pasta, tortilla, etc.
2 servings coffee.
2 serving higher fat protein (bacon, fatty beef, lamb, etc.)

And most importantly - Track! Track! Track! Accountablity is what kept me in line before.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Different things work for different people, if it works for you that's great. Keeping track of my food doesn't work for me, and a lot of people find it makes them focus on food so intently that it turns into an obsession and makes them want to eat more. I'm assuming though that someone who works intently with numbers and calculations is probably more suited to a more precise accountability method. Makes sense, accountability is part of your life so it should work in your diet plan. I don't have the discipline for that, and I forget too easily.

I don't know if this will help you or not but one of the biggest helps for me has been small food. Like those tiny candy bars they sell in bags at the holidays, they're about half the size of halloween fun size. They make them for Easter so they should be out now, in fact Easter packaging is what I started on. Last year at this time I got 2 bags of candy, Snickers and Milky Ways. 4 pieces have 90 calories, but it only takes one or two if you're having a big chocolate or sugar craving. So you can pop a couple of those for not very many calories and not be bothered by the craving, which in my experience doesn't go away if it isn't taken care of. It keeps gnawing at you until you break and jam a whole candy bar in your face. Denial doesn't work. Those bags lasted over 6 months, for me the cravings don't happen as often when I don't try to ignore them. I haven't been a fast food person for a long time, mainly because the high fat content gives me a stomach ache. But you know how it is, evry once in awhile you have to have something bad. I'll get a burger maybe every 6 months and eat half at a time. I don't limit fruits or vegetables and I've found that if I plate up my veggies first and eat those then wait a few minutes before going after the other foods I eat a lot less of them. Kind of the same concept as having a salad first but I don't eat salads.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Return to Fitness Forum