[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - chefshawn's grannie's gingerbread pancakes

chefshawn's grannie's gingerbread pancakes

The cream of the crop.

Postby chefshawn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:41 pm

9 3" pancakes

1c flour
1T sugar
1t baking powder
1t ground dry ginger
.5t salt
.5t baking soda
.5t cinnamon
dash of clove

*stir all the above together in a medium mixin bowl

2T molasses
1T vegetable oil
1c buttermilk
1 beaten egg

*mix these wet items together well in a separate small bowl

*fold wet into dry until well combined. as the batter sits for at least 5 minutes, it gets fluffy. i like to use an ice cream disher to scoop the batter onto the buttered griddle.

*serve with fried apples and sweetened whipped cream

now, when i say grannie, i mean it. this came from my great grandmother, carmen sanders. she's 91 now, and she's plum crazy. lost most of her mind to alzheimer's. she was a lucky one, though, as she was ALWAYS a happy-go-lucky church-goin lil lady. she hasnt lost a touch of that.

it's really fun to visit her, and hear about all the things "they got her doin" in the home. one day she was EXHAUSTED from her early mornin treck up on the mountain's hikin trails, and then havin to come back to the home and feed EVerybody there. um, no, she just sits in her chair talking to her might-as-well-be-sister. they're both equally crazy and goofy, so they can talk nonstop. they never really care what the other's talkin about.

i'm sure i'm gonna lose her someday, but i'll be happy to have known my entire life as such a wonderful lil ol spirit. as lively as she seems, though, she very well could make it to greatgreatness. (my niece is 9)
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby okbye » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:16 am

Mmmm, that sounds good. I have some candied ginger, I assume I could use a larger amount of that and reduce the sugar.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Pixietoes » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:18 am

Gingerbread pancakes?

Darn.

I knew I should have locked you up in the guest room when I had the chance. :wink:

With the babysitter headed off to college and no personal chef on staff... I'm thinking I have an opening here that you'd be perfect for! We already know Kay would be thrilled to have you around!
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Madalive » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:22 am

They look great. We will have to try them this weekend.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby Grovite » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks again for this recipe Shawn. Our menu is coming together nicely and these pancakes are going to be the centerpiece (See, Waxahachie is called the "Gingerbread City", so it works out great!).
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Re: chefshawn's grannie's gingerbread pancakes

Postby Champagne Charlie » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:36 am

God bless her! And these flapjacks look fantastic. They are on tomorrow morning's menu! :D
Champagne Charlie
Commander Briner

Postby Myrealana » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:28 am

This looks almost exactly like my ginegerbread pancakes recipe. I absolutely LOVE these. I got the recipe out of a kid's favorite recipes cookbook. Whenever my son has a friend stay over, he asks me to make gingerbread pancakes in the morning. We serve them with apple sauce and whipped cream, and we never have leftovers.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:12 pm

Pixietoes wrote:Gingerbread pancakes?

Darn.

I knew I should have locked you up in the guest room when I had the chance. :wink:

With the babysitter headed off to college and no personal chef on staff... I'm thinking I have an opening here that you'd be perfect for! We already know Kay would be thrilled to have you around!

well, with room n board taken care of, i'm not really THAT expensive.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby fictiongoddess » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:16 pm

Shawn, those pancakes sound fabulous, and so does your Granny! Thanks for the recipe and the story!
I'm not cute or handsome. I'm an omnivore! - Ian
fictiongoddess
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:41 pm

chefshawn wrote:

Darn.

I'm sure it won't come to this, but if you find yourself homeless at the end of the month, give me a call. :D
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby chefshawn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Pixietoes wrote:
chefshawn wrote:

Darn.

hehehe...i'll put you on the waiting list.

I'm sure it won't come to this, but if you find yourself homeless at the end of the month, give me a call. :D

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Madalive » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks Shawn

The two year old ate 2 and half of them.
Ethical concerns cannot overcome the siren’s lure of a triceratops ride.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby BikerBobo1 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:42 pm

Those sound good!
I’m not a pancake or waffle kind-a guy but Diz loves the stuff!
I’m gonna have to try and score some brownie points and make um for her!
Thanks for sharing the recipe and the history behind it Shawn!
That was cool!
I want to retire early enough to work on my own crap.
I want to live long enough to get to ride it.
bobo Bolinski
BikerBobo1
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm

I'm glad someone bumped this up, I forgot to make them! :shock:
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby BikerBobo1 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:50 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I’m still good for something!
LOL!

Oh, let me know when they are done. I may hafta taste one.........
I want to retire early enough to work on my own crap.
I want to live long enough to get to ride it.
bobo Bolinski
BikerBobo1
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:59 am

i'm bumpin up this recipe to make sure of a few things. i asked mongo to archive it, as this is my favorite place to search for recipes. also, my grannie is gone now, since at least a year and a half ago.

also, this is a great recipe for the colder months. i hope you all can dig in and enjoy some, soon.

cheers,

shawn

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby repmogirl » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:00 pm

These sound yummy! I'll be making them this weekend!
I've been kissed by Pixie!

"Al tavola non s'invecchia mai"
repmogirl
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby LinC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear your Grannie has gone to her reward, but I'm happy that you bumped this recipe up. We will remember her in gingerbread pancakes.
"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress.... and watch out for diabolical masterminds."
Emma Peel
LinC
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget