[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Midwest* Briner Meet - Sunday, May 25th

Midwest* Briner Meet - Sunday, May 25th

The cream of the crop.

Postby Kinsley » Thu May 29, 2008 8:59 pm

BonBon wrote:Come on Ladies... do tell about the Spa day. Any other narrative stories
would make those of us who stayed home feel like we were there? sorta

All I can say about the spa is that they sure were in there for a loooong
time. :lol: I passed up the pedicure in favor of a medium rare 12 oz Kansas City
Strip Steak. 8)

I had a few cameras with me, but never got the urge to collect images.
This weekend was about people and food. I met 4 more Briners:
Geoffwaller, Repmogirl, Radscientist and Mysticindiancelt. I've now
shared 121 meals with 73 different Briners and about that many of their
friends and relatives in 15 different states and the District of Columbia.

The BBQ at Tena's really should count as 2 or 3 meals. I was still eating
ribs and chicken and potato salad and fruit salad and pie on Monday.
Mmmmm PIE! You heard about the Mexican meal on Friday. I had an
excellent burrito made with roasted chuck. Erin might remember what we
all ate there.

The meat at Jack Stack * click *was to die for. I've eaten there twice now
and would travel pretty far out of my way to do it again. But, I must say,
the side dishes weren't on a par with those at 12 Bones in Asheville. I have
to eat there again. It's only 500 miles each way. :lol: Itchyfoot regularly
drives 2 or 3 times that far to join Briners for a meal. 8)

Saturday night, dinner was popcorn and Indiana Jones.

Everyone else had to head home on Monday, but I couldn't get a direct flight
until Tuesday, so I was still around at dinner time. Tena, Mysticindiancelt
(and her dad) joined
Charles, his daughter Michelle and me at Cinzetti's Italian
Market Restaurant * click *. I've never been in another restaurant quite
like it. It's a buffet, but a really good one. Tena took me there when I was
in KC last time. I'd almost forgotten how much I like fried veggies.

Over the weekend, we watched Fry Hard II, The Chicken and several other
Good Eats episodes, as well as much of the Firefly series.

When I got home and opened my bag I discovered that somebody had
ripped the linings out of my fedoras. :roll:
Last edited by Kinsley on Fri May 30, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby repmogirl » Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Erin & I had Barbacoa Tacos... they were very good

I don't remember what G had
I've been kissed by Pixie!

"Al tavola non s'invecchia mai"
repmogirl
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 am

repmogirl wrote:Erin & I had Barbacoa Tacos... they were very good

Mine was a Barbacoa burrito. According to Wiki, Barbacoa is
Barbeque (d'uh) and can be almost any meat, but according to the
menu at this place, it was Chuck. Not really hot, but very spicy.
Definitely cooked low and slow. :wink:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby GeofWaller » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 am

I had a pork chimi - also very good. I really enjoyed that restaurant, it seems all the mexican restaurants here in Springpatch all have the the same menus & recipes. It was nice to get something different.

G
GeofWaller
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sat May 31, 2008 12:56 am

Thanks for the great pics, Geof!!
And the tales, from Kinsley & all. I hope to read more.

Thanks for hosting, Tena. I, and I'm sure ALL, vicariously enjoyed.
And Rad, loved your first pictures. Post more, please.

Yee Haw!!!!!!
(SUCH a pity that the "spa therapists" weren't good-looking young hunky men. THAT I might pay for. :twisted:)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Itchyfoot » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:59 pm

Kinsley wrote: The BBQ at Tena's really should count as 2 or 3 meals. I was still eating ribs and chicken and potato salad and fruit salad and pie on Monday.

I was too full of appetizers to eat pie before Monday breakfast. :D Hey, it's an important food group early in the day.

Kinsley wrote: The meat at Jack Stack * click *was to die for. I've eaten there twice now and would travel pretty far out of my way to do it again. But, I must say, the side dishes weren't on a par with those at 12 Bones in Asheville. I have to eat there again. It's only 500 miles each way. :lol: Itchyfoot regularly drives 2 or 3 times that far to join Briners for a meal. 8)

Hey, mi amigo, I multitask. I go to see all my spread out relatives as well as stuff my face. But no more, they and y'all are going to have to come see me. $4/gallon just hurts too much. I am trying to put together $ to get back to Alaska.

I was grateful to all the briners there for making Radscientist feel so much a part of things. Erin spoke sign language and everyone else also seemed to communicate very easily with him. And it was nice to have someone to ride along. He was my legs and helped me with my walker. It made the trip easy. When I got him home to the Springs, he and a roommate cooked me a wonderful dinner. It was a delightful evening and I learned a lot watching three adults signing, a new experience for me.

The not unexpected shock when I got home though was gas was still $3.96 Tuesday morning as I left for Steamboat to take a friend to the doctors, then was $4.19 as we pulled back into town a few hours later.
Ouch.

Okay, you Californians and big city folk have been paying over 4 for a while but it was scary to me.

Overall, a very worthwhile trip. Met many new people, saw Dr Jones, ate way too much. So Lunanoir didn't feel unloved, I encouraged Kinz to toss the popcorn at her. Hehehe.

Sorry!
:D
Itchyfoot
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:55 am

Itchyfoot wrote:The not unexpected shock when I got home though was gas was still $3.96 Tuesday morning as I left for Steamboat to take a friend to the doctors, then was $4.19 as we pulled back into town a few hours later.
Ouch.

We finally hit $4.00 in Madison - the station closest to us is still at $3.93 (I paid $3.95 at the same station on my way out of town last weekend), but the ones closer to downtown were $4.03 yesterday.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Erin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 am

beenie wrote:
Itchyfoot wrote:The not unexpected shock when I got home though was gas was still $3.96 Tuesday morning as I left for Steamboat to take a friend to the doctors, then was $4.19 as we pulled back into town a few hours later.
Ouch.

We finally hit $4.00 in Madison - the station closest to us is still at $3.93 (I paid $3.95 at the same station on my way out of town last weekend), but the ones closer to downtown were $4.03 yesterday.

The weekend of the gathering, it was $4.29 in my neighborhood. :( When I filled up yesterday, it was $4.49. Ouch. :? Had the place I was going been any closer to Metra/Amtrak, I would have just done that but it was not...

Thing is - slight threadjack, here - I would totally bike more places if I weren't in fear for my life. Something like 29 bicyclists have been killed this season in Chicago. :shock:
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Radscientist » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

Erin wrote:Thing is - slight threadjack, here - I would totally bike more places if I weren't in fear for my life. Something like 29 bicyclists have been killed this season in Chicago. :shock:

umm, how many peoples have been killed in a car crashes in the same amount of time? less than 29? How many of those cyclist been killed without a motorized vehicle being involved?

Sorry, I'm just a bit tired of peoples being afraid to bike cause of similar info when they would be in more danger driving a car. In fact, if you take a cyclist safety course and learn about the safety of the road, you would actually be safer health-wise and financial-wise since you would be in better shape and not have to pay for as much hospital bills and whatnot over the long term. you can actually save money on your insurance if you commute to work cause some insurance co offers a reduced bills for commuting peoples simply because you would not be driving your vehicles as much (in many case your vehicle use could be cut down by more than 50%).

If more peoples just ride bikes and only use vehicles for the necessary things like grocery shopping, the road would be safer if only because more peoples would be more aware of the cyclist and how to drive safer. Either way, I still feel safer cycling than riding a vehicles despite pissing off more than a few impatient peoples on the road. Peoples just need to learn the rules of the road and learn to respect the fact that their time is not more imortant than other's safety.

Sorry for furthering the threadjack. One of my pet peeves is the fact that peoples don't want to cycle cause of safety sake when they are usually at a much higher risk just riding most motorized vehicles.
Radscientist
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Erin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 am

No disrespect intended, Rad. I fully agree that biking is probably overall better for you - financially, health-wise, etc. - than driving. It's just that the climate here is really bad between motorists and bikers. Some motorists will actually go out of their way to intimidate bicyclists here. :( And some bikers have so flagrantly disobeyed the rules of the road to the extent that some seem not to believe there ARE any rules, other than to avoid being on the losing end of car vs. bike (because we know who always wins that one).

Having not been on a bike in a long time and not being familiar with the bike laws here and knowing the congestion of traffic and the general animosity held by both groups (the bikers who hate drivers and the drivers who hate bikers), it's a little intimidating to start it up. Possible? Of course. But it's scary to me. Hence, my hesitation.
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Radscientist » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am

Erin wrote:No disrespect intended, Rad. I fully agree that biking is probably overall better for you - financially, health-wise, etc. - than driving. It's just that the climate here is really bad between motorists and bikers. Some motorists will actually go out of their way to intimidate bicyclists here. :( And some bikers have so flagrantly disobeyed the rules of the road to the extent that some seem not to believe there ARE any rules, other than to avoid being on the losing end of car vs. bike (because we know who always wins that one).

Having not been on a bike in a long time and not being familiar with the bike laws here and knowing the congestion of traffic and the general animosity held by both groups (the bikers who hate drivers and the drivers who hate bikers), it's a little intimidating to start it up. Possible? Of course. But it's scary to me. Hence, my hesitation.

Oh I understand that hesitation now. I would feel the same way if Colorado Springs had the same problems. I'm glad to have started cycling in Colorado Springs rather than Newport News or any other places as bad as Chicago cause now it is a lifestyle for me :) from now on, if I move anywhere, I would make sure that the place is good for cyclists.
Radscientist

Postby Radscientist » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Quick update:

I had to move my online pictures around to organize so here is the new links,
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... st%20Meet/

my apology to those of you who have linked my pictures to this thread, those links will now be broken and will need to be updated with new links.
Radscientist

Previous

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget