[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - BinD4 10.17-18-19.08-WI Dells-NOW WITH PICS

BinD4 10.17-18-19.08-WI Dells-NOW WITH PICS

The cream of the crop.

Can you come?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 am

I'll be there with bells on!
57%
My boss might let me have the weekend off.
14%
My heart will be there, but my body's otherwise occupied elsewhere.
29%

Total votes : 21

BinD4 10.17-18-19.08-WI Dells-NOW WITH PICS

Postby Quizmistress » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 am

I'm sorry to have to have to bring this up so early, but the weekends in Oct are filling up fast for me
& this is the ONE event I don't want to miss!

Can we come to an accord on a date?

The other details we have time to discuss later on.

EDIT TO ADD: The majority has spoken! We shall decend upon the unknowing
residents of the Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton area on
October 17/18/19.

May the gods be with them. *bows head*[/b]
Last edited by Quizmistress on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image Image
Quizmistress
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Hopefully where I need to be when I need to be there

Postby lunanoir » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:31 am

Just let me know the weekend so I can plan ahead!
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:39 am

lunanoir wrote:Just let me know the weekend so I can plan ahead!

There was discussion of having it the same weekend as the beer festival, again.
I know it would be more helpful if I knew when that will be, but I'm not even
sure what to search on. Someone must know. Beenie? Quizzy? :?

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby honeycomb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:47 am

oh, I am SO there. (waves at Quizzy)

Wanda or beenie had posted the date of the Dells Beer-tasting event a while back; sorry I don't have that date handy. May I suggest planning that Saturday to fall on our weekend of choice? I think the 5 of us folk who attended the tasting really enjoyed. Many Briners milling around comparing beer sounds fun, goshdarnit.

Yaaaay!
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Quizmistress » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:58 am

Autum Harvest Fest

For accomodations, check out www.wisdells.com
Image Image
Quizmistress
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Hopefully where I need to be when I need to be there

Postby Kristina » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:26 am

I/we hope we can be there. We'll just have to see how things are going then.

K
". . . the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world are the ones who do."

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw.
-Havelock Ellis

When people say "I'm not a prude, but..." what they mean is "I am a prude, and..." -John Cleese
Kristina
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:45 am

I can come!

And I'm going to BinD, too!
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:18 am

Quizmistress wrote:Autum Harvest Fest

For accomodations, check out www.wisdells.com

The actual beer festival, Wisconsin Dells on Tap, is that weekend as well - October 18th and 19th.

Barring anything unusual, of course we'll be there.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby sadiedog » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 am

We will be there. I vote for the weekend of Oct 18-19.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Tena » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:32 am

10/18-10/19 sounds good to me.
I'll be flying into Madison again, so Pari & Beenie, be forwarned.
When your wrong, your wrong.

Dammit I'm mad is the same if you spell it backwards.
(And you totally just checked.)

Worry is a misuse of the imagination.
~Dan Zadra~
Tena
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:07 am

Wanda Woman wrote:I can come!

And I'm going to BinD, too!

:lol:
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby devaldez » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:14 am

Barring custodial changes, I'll be there as that's a weekend the girls are with their mother!
Officer of Shallow Thoughts, G.E.S. Chickeny Hands
"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn." - AB2
I've been kissed by a Pixie!
devaldez
Admiral Briner

Postby altnbrwnismyguru » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 pm

This is one thing I do not like to miss so I will be there with bells and other things on.
Bellboy, I´ve got to get running now
Bellboy, keep my lip buttoned down
Bellboy, carry this baggage out
Bellboy, always running at someones bleedin´ heel
You know how I feel
Always running at someones heel
altnbrwnismyguru
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby volfan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:54 pm

I'll be there as well, good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise. :P
"...government can never be as efficient as the free market because they are inherently not concerned with making a profit, but rather following the rules set by their higher ups, much like (Rachael) Ray is concerned with pleasing Satan."
volfan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Parintachin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:59 pm

There has been some conversation about a format change to the BinD experience this year.

After last year where we saw people shuttling back and forth between two cities, changing hotels and scurrying off to various destinations or events, the vox populi seemed to be that we all needed a vacation from our vacation when we got home.

We spent a great deal of time flying about but derived the most pleasure from sitting around and chatting with fellow Briners. To the extent that even after a day of mad fat activities, we eschewed sleep in the name of squeezing in a few minutes of relaxed conversation in bars, hotel rooms and lobbies.

To that extent, the sentiment was expressed that instead of trying to jam our weekend full of scheduled entertainment, we might simply put all the Briners in the same vicinity (hopefully a very comfortable, well appointed and well staffed vicinity) and let all them set their own agenda. They could choose to pursue elaborate activities or simply to sit around, chat, eat, drink and relax. (I believe there was a suggestion that involved a swimming pool, cocktails, lounge chairs and a long afternoon.)

I have been, in the intervening months, dedicating some thought as to what exactly the correct setting would entail.

It's generally agreed that in the name of tradition, the Wisconsin Dells should remain our base of operations. We would remain in Frank Lloyd Wright territory and allow us to continue our yearly pilgrimage to the Del Bar. We would also have access to the myriad of diversions that only a tourist town could offer.

In this pursuit of the perfect settings, I hearkened back to the words AB2 who once wisely stated, "It's all about the hotel".

In my estimations, the two choices we had, as suggested by fellow Briners, that best served our needs were:

A: A Resort/Hotel
B: Someplace that rented individual cabins.

The cabin idea would be fun and far more affordable than the Resort option. It would offer each of us our own private lodging, separated from the others in a semi-rustic settings. The downside is the lack of amenities. October is not the time to go boating or swimming. In fact, most of the activities available at places that rent cabins involve it being warm enough to want to be outdoors for extended periods. This, combined with the, shall we say "rustic charm" of the local cabins that I found on ye olde internets and the fact that something like 90% of the cabin rentals don't rent into October pretty much put a nail into that coffin.

Our second option is of course, the Resort option. There are a number of VERY well appointed resorts in Wisconsin Dells, many of them offering indoor water parks (swimming pool, check).

Of all of them though, there is one that stands head and shoulders above the rest for style, amenities, comfort and all the other good stuff.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Chula Vista resort in the Wisconsin Dells. My vote for BinD 2008. Feel free to look around. Feel free to compare it with others in the area. If we are looking for a comfortable place to spend a relaxed long weekend in, this... as they say, is our baby.
Last edited by Parintachin on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The World is my country, all man and women are my brothers and sisters, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
Parintachin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Parintachin wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Chula Vista resort in the Wisconsin Dells. My vote for BinD 2008. Feel free to look around. Feel free to compare it with others in the area. If we are looking for a comfortable place to spend a relaxed long weekend in, this... as they say, is our baby.

Pari - will you be reservin' the Pirate's Cabin for yerself and the wench?
(Hugs Beenie.)
Yar!
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby jrzjrz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:37 pm

The last one was only a few weeks after I joined this wonderful forum and had to rush.

This time I will plan ahead. If you don't mind a just learning "CHEF".

If I need to bring a dish I will bring my best dish, which I am just now perfecting. :lol:
Changing the world one pixie at a time.

jrzjrz
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby jackiecat » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 pm

I will be there! And I strongly support being in one place the whole time. I'm open to where that place is.

Edited to add:
Chula Vista looks great! And I can get an AARP discount.
Age does have it's privileges. :lol:
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:21 pm

So it begs the question...

Do people want to share rooms or does everyone want their own? And if some people are willing to share, hence getting a larger room, are the sharers willing to become the party room? If we do Chula Vista, their bars and such close at 11, so we should have a place to congregate.

The sharers could always get the Pirate room and hang a sign on the door "HMS Chickeny Hands." :lol:
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Parintachin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Dana wrote:Pari - will you be reservin' the Pirate's Cabin for yerself and the wench?
(Hugs Beenie.)
Yar!

Tempting... tempting... I could raise ye olde Chickeny Hands from the Briney deep!

YAR!
"The World is my country, all man and women are my brothers and sisters, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
Parintachin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby geimerst » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 pm

I was unable to attend last year due to JamiJo's wedding.

I was looking forward to attending this year,
based on repeat scheduling (2nd weekend of Oct).

By moving the event to the 3rd weekend (10/18-10/19),
I will be again be unable to attend due to my participation in the
Detroit Free Press/Flagstar International Marathon.

I'll be thinking of all y'all as I cross the border.
Last edited by geimerst on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geimerst

Postby honeycomb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Dana wrote:
Parintachin wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Chula Vista resort in the Wisconsin Dells. My vote for BinD 2008. Feel free to look around. Feel free to compare it with others in the area. If we are looking for a comfortable place to spend a relaxed long weekend in, this... as they say, is our baby.

Pari - will you be reservin' the Pirate's Cabin for yerself and the wench?
(Hugs Beenie.)
Yar!

A hearty second to Chula Vista. Mr. Honey and I adjourned there for R & R last August.

The Pirate Suite is great. [insert chicka-bow-wow music here] OK, a little cheesy, but we had fun. Jacuzzi in there makes the place a little damp.

If someone ends up being in that suite, seriously, it's a decent Party Central room. They've got a couch in there and room to hang out, 2 big beds.

including a nice king with a very sturdy headboard. Think how many people we could fit in that bed photo...

There are lots of pools and nooks where we could hang out, I think, even among noisy vacationing families common in the Dells. As beenie suggested, we may still need to hunt for gathering places for night owls.

For recovery from night-time revelry, I also highly recommend the Two of Hearts couple massage with instructional time (and champagne, and chocolate). 8) They've got a nice spa there where the ladies could go do manicures and pampering stuff together.
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Blondie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:14 pm

I might be able to make it this year. I typically go to Door County with my friends the first or second weekend of Oct. but that's the third weekend so it may be ok. I'd like to meet you all, you seem like a cool bunch of people. I will see what I can do. It's a maybe for now.
Blondie
Ensign Briner

Postby sadiedog » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:10 pm

:shock: I approve of the Chula Vista. Ooooooooh. The double queen tower room price isn't much higher than the Hilton AND there is more to do.

I am wanting to do the beer festival again and to visit with the gang!
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby EricE » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:42 pm

beenie wrote: And if some people are willing to share, hence getting a larger room, are the sharers willing to become the party room?

Heck, if we have a group the same size as last year, such a room should be able to be comped or at least give at a discount.

Someone needs to talk to the manager about group rates/deals.
Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.
EricE
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Let me preface this by saying I'll do whatever the general consensus of the group is because the most important thing for me is to hang out with my fellow Briners. Also, I appreciate anyone willing to do some legwork to come up with suggestions for the group (thanks, Pari!).

However, the Chula Vista gets some pretty negative reviews on Tripadvisor (keeping in mind most people only post there if they had a bad experience).
Reviews

I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but is anyone going to be in the Dells long enough to take advantage of pool lounging, massages, water parks, or other resort amenities? Last year, the BrewFest crew came in on Friday, had dinner, and drinks afterward. Saturday, we did the BrewFest, rested a bit, had the big group dinner, and drinks after. Sunday morning was breakfast and everyone left. There wasn't much down time that could have been spent doing resort-type fun.

What we really needed last year was for someone to have had a big arse suite which we could have stocked up with munchies and liquor. We could have used that as our communal gathering place and for pre- and post- meal lounging.

However, I will willingly and happily do whatever the group decides because, as I said, the most important thing for me is to hang out with Briners!
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby volfan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:08 pm

Wanda Woman wrote:What we really needed last year was for someone to have had a big arse suite which we could have stocked up with munchies and liquor. We could have used that as our communal gathering place and for pre- and post- meal lounging.

+1

Last year after the dinner, we had to try and find someplace to go hang out and eventually wound up at some hip hop club where none of us really wanted to be. It would have been much better if we could have gone somewhere quieter, made some drinks and just hung out.

/my .02 worth :P
"...government can never be as efficient as the free market because they are inherently not concerned with making a profit, but rather following the rules set by their higher ups, much like (Rachael) Ray is concerned with pleasing Satan."
volfan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:18 pm

volfan wrote:
Wanda Woman wrote:What we really needed last year was for someone to have had a big arse suite which we could have stocked up with munchies and liquor. We could have used that as our communal gathering place and for pre- and post- meal lounging.

+1

Last year after the dinner, we had to try and find someplace to go hang out and eventually wound up at some hip hop club where none of us really wanted to be. It would have been much better if we could have gone somewhere quieter, made some drinks and just hung out.

/my .02 worth :P

+2
Just hanging, eating munchies, talking, drinking, chilling...works for me. (Sorta like Beenie and Pari's Friday night - but they had a wonderful spread of food laid out.) For me, I'm not sure that I would have time to indulge in the water park or other amenities. (But, it looks like a nice place and if that's where everyone wants to stay, then I'll be there.)
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Parintachin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Wanda Woman wrote:Let me preface this by saying I'll do whatever the general consensus of the group is because the most important thing for me is to hang out with my fellow Briners. Also, I appreciate anyone willing to do some legwork to come up with suggestions for the group (thanks, Pari!).

However, the Chula Vista gets some pretty negative reviews on Tripadvisor (keeping in mind most people only post there if they had a bad experience).
Reviews

I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but is anyone going to be in the Dells long enough to take advantage of pool lounging, massages, water parks, or other resort amenities? Last year, the BrewFest crew came in on Friday, had dinner, and drinks afterward. Saturday, we did the BrewFest, rested a bit, had the big group dinner, and drinks after. Sunday morning was breakfast and everyone left. There wasn't much down time that could have been spent doing resort-type fun.

What we really needed last year was for someone to have had a big arse suite which we could have stocked up with munchies and liquor. We could have used that as our communal gathering place and for pre- and post- meal lounging.

However, I will willingly and happily do whatever the group decides because, as I said, the most important thing for me is to hang out with Briners!

Sometimes I hate review sites. They always make you second guess yourself.

I can't refute the negative reviews myself having never been there but I will say that the hotel has just recently gone through a MAJOR renovation in which it expanded in size by something like 3 times. I can't imagine that they have all the bugs worked out yet. Hopefully, by the time we get there, they'll be fresh out of another summer season in which they will have to hone their skills.

I think the best thing about the resort is that while some people may not need all the options that the place has to offer, they are free to pick what they want. Not to mention the fact that after the trip to the only crappy hippity-hop bar we were forced to go to cause it was the only one open, the idea of having a party room at the hotel that we can feel free to lounge at till the last dog is hung sounds quite appealing.

Besides, a little birdy told me that certain Briner ladies are already planning on hitting the Spa with the zeal of a cult member.
Parintachin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby volfan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:46 pm

Is this place more expensive than last year's place? If so, how much? Is this Spa thing included in the price for the wimmens that want to use it or is that another extra cost? And will there be time to go relax in a Spa?

Just sorta thinking out loud.....
volfan
Vice Admiral Briner

Next

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget