[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - A Renewal in American Pride

A Renewal in American Pride

The cream of the crop.

A Renewal in American Pride

Postby Babylon1023 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:11 pm

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the Earth. I smell it in the air.

I sit here typing this trying to sort out the end result of this year's long emotional rollercoaster ride, yet the more I think about it the start of this ride began on September 11, 2001. So much has happened over those past 7 years, in particular the nature of the feeling we call American Pride.

"Proud to be an American"

I may be just speaking for myself, though I have strong convictions that I am not, my own belief and translation of these words has been through a lot as of late. Seven years ago most Americans, regardless of their political beliefs, were quite in sync in terms of what this statement meant to them and could say it proudly without equivocation. I, like so many others, hoisted the American flag on my car antenna in solidarity with my fellow citizens and remember the outpouring of support from around the world. Since then, and this is where I know I will catch some flak, a good many of us could no longer say this without a certain internal conflict. Starting with the run-up to the Iraq war, I began to notice how certain conservative politicians started using our juiced up sense of patriotism to further along their agendas. I remember how those who questioned the wisdom of the invasion were meant to feel as if they were betraying their country and that if we felt any less enthusiastic about waving our flag in support of this war then we were somehow "unAmerican". Patriotism turned to jingoism, and jingoism turned to outright belligerence. Even simple phrases like "Support the Troops" carried the unspoken connotation "Support the War".

Since then more national embarassments followed. The shunning of our former allies who dared to question our logic in the war. The denial and subsequent justification for torture of POWs, since designated "enemy combatants" so the protections of the Geneva Convention would not apply. The sheer contempt the administration had for diplomacy. The subtle attempt to patent the American Flag as the symbol and property of "real" conservative Americans. The immature notion of "good guys" vs "bad guys" and the open disinterest in the plights of Muslim nations that could have answered the greatest unspoken question of the past seven years, "Why?".

To many conservatives this may just be another "Bush bashing" diatribe, but to many liberals and moderates this is what flashes in our minds whenever we see somebody speaking ill about America or when somebody asks us (in so many ways) if we are proud to be Americans. Despite what many think, the fact that we could not answer that question without feeling those qualifications dragging at our hearts is one of the greatest tragedies of the past decade. We did not cheer when we see people light the American flag on fire, nor did we dismiss them as a bunch of "evildoers" who "hate American freedom". Instead we wept, knowing that the good image of America was sullied, whether it was the fault of our government, our people, or foreign propaganda. This was a terrible feeling, and one that many of us thought would haunt the better part of our days as Americans. We always loved our country, but we were not always proud of it.

Then I woke up on November 5th and saw a sight that has been long lost. Americans all over the country dancing in the streets, waving American flags, and singing the Star Spangled Banner. Foreigners from countries around the globe were doing the same wtih American flags waved once again, not with malice, but with hope and excitement. Leaders from all over phoning their congratulations and support. Then it hit me, that this is our second chance to reclaim our respect and place in the world. This was our chance to make a change for the better, to call upon the better angels of our nature, and we did it. An end to arrogance, an end to ignorance, an end to jingoism, and end to belligerence. I mean this in no disrespect for those here who wanted McCain to win or see themselves as conservatives. I recognize that many of your convictions are centered around a strong love of country, something that I've always shared regardless of how I expressed it. I look forward to the days ahead where I can forget the partisan divides that have defined our country in the past few years and embrace my fellow conservatives as fellow Americans, also hoping that they can forgive me and other liberal Americans for how we expressed our frustrations. I know that just reading this is likely to cause pain and anger in some, but it is something that I feel had to be expressed, and I hope that they can at least understand. Despite my attempts to rationalize these feelings with words, there is no denying the renewed sense of pride I feel when I see the American flag waving in the sun of a new day, feeling as if it once again belongs to us all without equivocation. It is a feeling that was long lost, and it feels so good to rediscover it once again and dream about what could be if we remain true to truth, justice, and the American way. To the future, my friends.

Babylon1023
Captain Briner

Postby fizzviic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:50 pm

I read this post with a deepening sense of emotion. At the end I had tears in my eyes.

I hope those who manage this site will choose to include this post in the section on "Posts we don't want to forget"

Thank you for putting into words that which so many of us feel.

There are those with stones for hearts or ideologies for brains who will disagree, who will attempt to belittle your words. But in so doing, they only belittle themselves.
Please, no poopin' on the poop deck!
No fishin' in snark infested waters, please!
fizzviic
Grand High Poobah Admiral of The Oceans Deep and All the Ships a Sea

Postby sadiedog » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:14 pm

there is no denying the renewed sense of pride I feel when I see the American flag waving in the sun of a new day, feeling as if it once again belongs to us all without equivocation. It is a feeling that was long lost, and it feels so good to rediscover it once again and dream about what could be if we remain true to truth, justice, and the American way.

There are some of us who never lost this sense of pride, even when times are tough and the world is "ashamed". Welcome back on the bandwagon. :D I've loved this Country from day one and have always been proud of her, proud to call myself an American, even if I think the wheels come off sometimes. ;) I'd never live anywhere else in the world.

I believe in us, the American people. *We* are what is needed to affect true change, not any politician. *We* will bring our country around, pull ourselves up, make ourselves better. Hold on to the hopefulness, but don't forget the pain, it makes us pause, maybe not make the same mistakes in the future.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby geimerst » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:44 pm

sadiedog wrote:
there is no denying the renewed sense of pride I feel when I see the American flag waving in the sun of a new day, feeling as if it once again belongs to us all without equivocation. It is a feeling that was long lost, and it feels so good to rediscover it once again and dream about what could be if we remain true to truth, justice, and the American way.

There are some of us who never lost this sense of pride, even when times are tough and the world is "ashamed". Welcome back on the bandwagon. :D I've loved this Country from day one and have always been proud of her, proud to call myself an American, even if I think the wheels come off sometimes. ;) I'd never live anywhere else in the world.

I believe in us, the American people. *We* are what is needed to affect true change, not any politician. *We* will bring our country around, pull ourselves up, make ourselves better. Hold on to the hopefulness, but don't forget the pain, it makes us pause, maybe not make the same mistakes in the future.

:think:

+ 1 & Well said.

And Babs - your flag is at half-mast.
You're not in mourning, you're proud !!
Show it !!

or
geimerst

Re: A Renewal in American Pride

Postby flowerchick » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:03 pm

*ignores nitpicking and condescending one-upmanship*

Babylon1023 wrote:To the future, my friends.

Thank you...
:clap:

*raises glass*

Cheers my friends. To the future!

GEFP Style Maven

"There is a flower, a little flower with a silver crest and golden eye...that welcomes every changing hour and weathers every sky."
flowerchick
Admiral Briner

Postby Susan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm

fizzviic wrote:I read this post with a deepening sense of emotion. At the end I had tears in my eyes.

I hope those who manage this site will choose to include this post in the section on "Posts we don't want to forget"

Thank you for putting into words that which so many of us feel.

There are those with stones for hearts or ideologies for brains who will disagree, who will attempt to belittle your words. But in so doing, they only belittle themselves.

+1 on all accounts
Officer in Charge of PIE aka Queen of All Things Baked

"It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him"
~ Abraham Lincoln

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain

"Deeds of kindness are equal in weight to all the commandments." Talmud
Susan
Admiral Briner

Postby jackiecat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:39 pm

I don't often post to this forum, but I agree to putting this in posts we don't want to forget. Awesome!
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget