[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! (squeal!!) ...GEFP Style!!!

IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! (squeal!!) ...GEFP Style!!!

The cream of the crop.

IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! (squeal!!) ...GEFP Style!!!

Postby jsp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:34 pm

:D :D UPS was just here -- left a box I wasn't expecting... I debated about opening it because I was literally on the way out the door when he came... :D

And I'm so glad I did! No kidding - IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!!

I don't care what the date is on the calendar, for me - for here - it... is... Christmas! :D :D (Squeeeel!)

Inside there are a WHOLE lot of packages ...

... and I'm absolutely late for a meeting now so since I see a note that something in here is perishable I'll enjoy getting home tonight and really get into CHRISTMAS!!!! :D :D :D :D :lol: :D :D :D (THANKS in advance Susan!! You wouldn't believe how much self discipline this is taking... )

OK - More later (I gotta run!)

OH WAIT! Before I go though --- MANY thanks to our Andrew for the most adorable ornament that came a little while ago!

He found a common denominator between "mouse" and "good eats" - a S'mores Mouse King - and it's now in a place of honor in my kitchen! (Thanks again Andrew!)

...Yikes! I'm really late now --- but ohhhhhh sooooooo worth it! LOL! Be back soon! I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited about something... LOL! I LOVE GEFP PEOPLE!!!!
Deep Breath. Say it with me, people: "I do NOT need burgundy velvet bows." *exhale*...
- Carolyn Shepard, in Tough Love, Charlotte Taste, Holiday 2005/2006 (emphasis mine)
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous
jsp
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: still trying to figure that out... but I think I like it here!

Postby Susan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Jan, when you open up the packages, and read my letter, you will see a theme of sorts developing and it will explain why I sent your gift a bit early. (I also like to avoid the Christmas rush at the UPS store).
Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!!
As ever, Susan
Officer in Charge of PIE aka Queen of All Things Baked

"It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him"
~ Abraham Lincoln

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain

"Deeds of kindness are equal in weight to all the commandments." Talmud
Susan
Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Ooooh, I have a UPS slip!

With any luck....when I return from work tomorrow night it will be Christmastime!

UPS, please honor the signature on the back (as your directions indicate) and leave me the package.
Please. Please. Please.
:pray:
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:22 pm

Yes! :clap: The package was left on my doorstep!
And, get this.
Apparently, there is some GEFP force that is making things happen in order...
You see JSP just got her gifts from Susan.
And, I just got my gifts...from JSP!

The package weighed a bazillion pounds and I thought I got a brick from Santa. ;)

On the back of an adorable kitty postcard there was a note, in part saying: ...our "local flavor is decidedly Mexican - and authentically so. The exception is the mug - next best thing to being homemade, it's by a dear friend now living in Nova Scotia, Canada. My experience is that the Mexican Hot Cocoa still tastes good in her mugs though!"

"Ooooh, there's a mug", I thought.

There are spices: Hot taco mix, menudo mix, ground California chili, and spices for tamales. And, mexican chocolate. And, those whitish sticks are coconut candies. Off to the side on the wrapped gift (weighing a lot) are two cat toys. And, to the left, wrapped up is something shaped like...yes, a mug!

The really heavy part is...a baby griddle! Just perfect for 1 or 2. And, inside the mug I found the cutest little "Kitchen Angel." (Sorry, not the best pic.)

Lastly, I just want to be able for you to clearly see this wonderful mug. It's decorated both inside and out. And, it's just darling.

So, now I need some help!
Is this chocolate for eating or hot cocoa'ing?
Do I just put a piece in a bowl and pour hot milk over it like for ganache?
(I don't want to pour it straight into the mug for fear of cracking it.)

JSP, thank you, so much.
These are all wonderful items that will be put to good use!
And, I cherish the mug! :)
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:30 pm

I still haven't gotten my secret Santa gift.. unless my secret Santa was the same person who was supposed to get me an ornament.. :? (I'm confused as to how that's supposed to work?)..

I also never got anyone FOR being a secret Santa to.. so.. yeah. I'm .. really confused here.

I did get my ornament a while ago.

I should mention that I might be out of town the 13-15th, because I'm going down and seeing my aunt and uncle if my secret Santa hasn't gotten anything just yet, but if they're going to wait and they wait too long, don't sweat it.. if it arrives AFTER Christmas, I'll just consider it a GE Birthday present as my birthday is January 17th. :)

BTW JSP:

Your welcome hon. I'm glad it arrived in great shape. It looks as great as I'd imagined it would.
Andrew
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Butterbean » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:57 am

Andrew wrote:I still haven't gotten my secret Santa gift.. unless my secret Santa was the same person who was supposed to get me an ornament.. :? (I'm confused as to how that's supposed to work?)..

I also never got anyone FOR being a secret Santa to.. so.. yeah. I'm .. really confused here.

Did you register with Beenie to be a part of the official GEFP exchange?

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Well, well, what do we have here? :think:

Why, it's a package from none other than...

Vickatina! :D :dance:

First was a handwritten note expressing some much appreciated sentiments. ;) Thank you so much. :)

Then there was an assortment of enjoyable goodies, treats, and gadgets:

1. Pennsylvania Dutch Chow-Chow: I love just about anything pickled (including pickled green plums -- yeah, they're awesome) and can't wait to try this. It appears to be a mixture of various beans, corn, peppers, celery, carrots, and cauliflower, in a clear brine. This appears quite different from New Orleans chow-chow, which contains cauliflower, cabbage, bell peppers, onions, green tomatoes, and sweet pickles, all suspended in a mustardy matrix. This chow-chow will likely accompany lunch tomorrow. :)

2. Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Butter: Yes! I love apple butter. It's great on toast, in sandwiches (nice contrast with meat), and in just about anything, including filled pancakes. The ingredient list is awesome: just apples, sugar, apple cider concentrate, and spices, in contrast to the considerably longer list on the jar of commercial stuff I currently have in the fridge. Yay for natural, pronounceable ingredients! :D

3. "Starry Night" Tea: First, kudos for selecting a gift that involves my favorite work of art! This is a "chocolate, truffle, hazelnut, & toffee" tea. Most interesting, indeed. Vickatina wrote on the accompanying note that she's purchased some for herself, so we can try it together. :) I can't wait, and will most likely take this tea with me as a relaxation aid for my upcoming trip overseas (oh, I haven't told you all about that... I will soon). ;)

4. Wegman's Pumpkin Pie Coffee: There were actually two packets in the gift, but alas, one didn't make it to the photograph below, as it suffered a brutal attack in which it was slashed open and then drowned in boiling water. :mrgreen: Delicious stuff -- thanks a bunch! :)

5. Coffee-Time Puzzles (book): In-flight entertainment! Excellent! :D

6. Slate Coasters from Pennsylvania: These are pieces of slate quarried from a site near Vickatina's home. How cool is that? (And thanks for the coasters, which I need badly for my desk, because folded-up sheets of paper just don't cut it.)

7. Wavy Knife: Awesome! My mother has one just like this, and I've always wanted one, but never got around to looking for it. Thank you!

8. Taylor Classic Thermometer: Yes! I've been needing one of these. Please excuse me while I remove it from my wish list... :)

9. "Give Peas a Chance" Magnet: Brilliant! 1,000 points for the pun (the highest form of humor, of course), and another 1,000 for making it Good-Eats-related. :)

10. Homemade Keychain: How special! Not only is it expertly handcrafted by Vicky, but also GE-related. You see, it's a bee. As in, "A.B." So, as Vicky wrote, "now [I] can take 'a bee' with [me] everywhere [I] go." :lol: :lol: :lol: Yay for clever puns!

So, here's a pic of all these terrific gifts:

Thank you so much, Vickatina, for the wonderful gifts and all the thought and effort that went into them. I will cherish them all and send warm thoughts your way every time I use them. :) Merry Christmas!

P.S. To my giftee, your gift is all boxed up and ready for delivery, and has been for several days. I just haven't had a chance to send it out. :oops: I should mail it Monday (Tuesday at the absolute latest), so expect a package later next week. Hope it arrives safely, and you like it! :pray:
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Nolafoodie!

Glad you like everything!

You are very welcome!
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Kathy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I just wanted to say that my Santa-ee's package was sent out today with guesstimated delivery for Monday or Tuesday of next week-right in time for Christmas!

It's fun to see all the gifts already!!!

Merry Christmas everyone...Kathy
Kathy
Ensign Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 pm

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO, CHRISTMAS INDEED!!!

i got home to find not one but TWO boxes on my front porch today!

since the box said "perishable" i assumed that that meant "it's ok to open now, and not wait for your wife to get off work. so, i did.

lo and behold, AJKDVM (we'll call her arlene) was my santa!!!

upon opening the box, i didnt know whether to read then dig in, or vice versa (please, folks, make sure you clue your giftees into this decision). so, i read the card, and learned about the contents:

there was a WAY TOO BIG bottle of homemade vanilla with madagascar beans, and i believe at least one other variety. the rubber cork gives off just enough of a hint of whats inside to entice one to whip up a batch of, um, EVERYTHING, as soon as possible. now, i've bought vanilla beans before, and at wholesale prices, i believe this overall bottle of vanilla is worth more than my entire pepper grinder collection.

moving on, i found two batches of homemade bacon brittle. the larger tin was "original recipe" and quite good. i expected a lil sweeter, though. i've never had the stuff, but i expected the salty and sweet to give a serious one-two punch. this stuff was quite mellow, and will not last long with the help of my Christmas guests. the smaller box had a dash of powdered habanero added in. i ate a nib of the smallest piece i could find, and am pleased to learn that this stuff, when used beyond moderation, will knock one on their ass. WOOHOO! my brother-in-law and i are gonna hve fun with this stuff!

thenn came a small bottle of "minus 8" vinegar. i can only assume the namesake has something to do with the average winter temperature of the town in ontario where it was made. of all the great ideas for use listed on the tag, i'm tempted to horde it to myself and sip away at it in a dark corner of the room. sooooooooo psyched!!!

then, there was box called "kitch." now, how can one go wrong there? the woman clearly knows the way to a mans heart. inside are two cadbury flake bars (i have a weakness for foreign chocolates), a bar of vosges bacon bar (my wife always found a way of talking me out of that one, until the store stopped carrying it), a pirate toast stamp (just happened to have bought some whitewheat last week!), some pirate mints (rum flavored!), some bacon and egg bandaids (complete with toy pig!), bacon toothpicks (to use after the brittle), and cinnamon toothbpicks. also, leave it to a doctor to remember to pack a pair of alligator forceps for the surgical removal of vanilla pods from the liquor. i wonder if i can use em on my operation game?

the other box was as big as the first, but far lighter. also, it's contents were not revealed in the first box's letter. i gots myself A DAMNED MARSHMALLOW CANNON!!! hahaha, the thing shoots large and small! i'll be sure to order up some marshmallows at work, so as to be paid to goof off in such a grand manner!

by God, it's gonna be a good day after all!

i seriously doubt i will get pictures posted (hell, most of you have never seen my wife of 14 months), but i hope my review will suffice.

thanks so, so much for making this exchange for me very special. my wife has yet to open her gift. i will let you know what she says.

(p.s. the only downside of receiving big, is the fear that you may not have given as big)

merry Christmas!

shawn
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby ajkdvm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 am

Shawn, you're absolutely welcome! I had so much fun putting together your stuff - when your directive is "foodie who's a big goofy kid at heart," it's hard to go wrong.
there was a WAY TOO BIG bottle of homemade vanilla with madagascar beans, and i believe at least one other variety. the rubber cork gives off just enough of a hint of whats inside to entice one to whip up a batch of, um, EVERYTHING, as soon as possible. now, i've bought vanilla beans before, and at wholesale prices, i believe this overall bottle of vanilla is worth more than my entire pepper grinder collection.

It's really not that expensive - the last time I bought beans in bulk, they actually threw in a 1-lb package of extract-grade Tahitian beans for free. :shock:
i ate a nib of the smallest piece i could find, and am pleased to learn that this stuff, when used beyond moderation, will knock one on their ass. WOOHOO! my brother-in-law and i are gonna hve fun with this stuff!

I'm serious about putting it into ice cream: whip up the richest vanilla base custard you can think of, then add about a cup of crushed brittle pieces in the last few minutes of churning. Thank me later. :D
thenn came a small bottle of "minus 8" vinegar. i can only assume the namesake has something to do with the average winter temperature of the town in ontario where it was made. of all the great ideas for use listed on the tag, i'm tempted to horde it to myself and sip away at it in a dark corner of the room. sooooooooo psyched!!!

That's pretty much what I do with mine!
then, there was box called "kitch." now, how can one go wrong there? the woman clearly knows the way to a mans heart.

So I've been told... :wink:
(p.s. the only downside of receiving big, is the fear that you may not have given as big)

Nah... enjoy your stuff in the spirit with which it was given, as I'm sure your giftee will. Merry Christmas!

Arlene

P. S. Did the little ornament survive?!?
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby jackiecat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:37 am

And my Secret Santa is Butterbean! Got home last night to a package on my door step. I haven't had a chance to really rip into it yet, but I will tonight.

Thanks Butter!
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 am

jackiecat wrote:And my Secret Santa is Butterbean! Got home last night to a package on my door step. I haven't had a chance to really rip into it yet, but I will tonight.

Thanks Butter!

YAY! It got there. I always hold my breath with the USPS, but they've never let me down - even when I get the zip wrong, like last year. Thanks for the update, J-Cat & hope you likee! :D

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby chefshawn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 am

yes, the ornament!

very cute indeed, a tallish chef with knife and steel and my name on the toque. it immediately went at eye level on the tree. thanks so much!!!

kerri got home, and was too tired to be as excited about the vanilla as i was. however, after a two hour sleepin-in, we woke and saw it again, and just thought "damn, that's gonna be fun."

as for her gift, we're both elated to have a lil trader joe's back in the house. we miss that store so much. we havent yet opened the coffee beans (cuz she doesnt know that she's gettin a kuerig machine with a reusable filter!). the back of the can keeps teasin us, though, cuz the shade of blue is reminiscent of the cans of cheetos one typically finds at the dollar store. cheetos are our ultimate weakness, and the end of the containers create our most frequent arguments. we cant keep em round the house.

thanks again, so much, for everything. now, i'm gonna need your vanilla bean source.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby ajkdvm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:51 pm

*edited to remove inadvertent double-post*
Last edited by ajkdvm on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:52 pm

yes, the ornament!

very cute indeed, a tallish chef with knife and steel and my name on the toque. it immediately went at eye level on the tree. thanks so much!!!

*g* Whew, I was worried that the little dude got smushed or something.

As for vanilla beans, I buy chiefly from The Organic Vanilla Bean Company, Arizona Vanilla Company and Beanilla. Check both their home pages as well as their listings on eBay - often they'll have sales on one but not on the other, and toward the end of the season they'll have all kinds of special deals to get rid of their stock. Excellent product and customer service.
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby jackiecat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:24 pm

I'm digging into my gift from Butterbean RIGHT NOW!

Oooo. Lots of pretty red! It all looks so festive.

Card first - LOL! Granny with a Rudolph nose and antlers, love it! And a lovely note. Thanks, I love being your hippie friend!

And speaking of hippies, what IS that red lollipop on top of an alligator clip. Must be an ornament (Yeah, right!)

I also got,
Cute little mise en place bowls that pinch to funnel ingredients.
Bowl covers that can be used to "cover bowls" or cover my smoke detector when needed (no unitasker here).
A made from corn pen that is totally biodegradable.
A great red Dupont reusable shopping tote bag
Hotel Dupont's famous macaroons (really yummy) along with the recipe.
A wonderful red Christmas towel, which I may use as a festive hanging.
White tea with pomegratate - This smell wonderful even through the packaging. Can't wait to try it.

And for my cheese loving self:
A set of cheese knives (which I DON"T have)
And a wonderful bamboo board - I've been eyeing these and wanting to try them.

Thanks so much Mary, you've made my Christmas very special
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:26 pm

:lol: Cheryl, I am so glad you liked all the "stuff"; it was such fun shopping for you. I love the macaroons, but have never tried making them myself, but then I'm close to the supplier. And the red lollipop? It's a, um um, memo clip! Yeah - that's the ticket! And a multitasker, too. :wink:

You've made my holiday special, too!

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby ajkdvm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:46 pm

So it's the ass-end of a really long day. I drag my sorry carcass home to find a package on my doorstep. And whaddaya know, it's from my Santa, chefshawn! Talk about serendipity, or synchronicity, or whatever you call it. 8)

Inside is an incredibly soft fuzzy throw in a very cheery red, embroidered by Shawn's mother-in-law. My cats have already co-opted it as the warmest, squishiest surface in the place. :) Then there's a basket chock full of all sorts of goodies that I can't wait to try - the apple fritter mix will be put to good use this weekend! The pepper Jack cheese, sausage, mustard and crackers became my dinner - the Boy of the Moment looked on sadly because I wouldn't let him have any. And the little cheese serving plate (complete with matching knife) is so cute and will come in very handy at my open house party.

Thanks so much for everything, Shawn, and Merry Christmas! :D
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby cornchili » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:36 pm

Well, I finally home. I got here last night and pretty much crashed but I was super excited this morning when I found my package waiting for me.

Thanks, Ghenne! You are such an awesome Santa!

In the box:
-Teal message bottle (very pretty)
-Apple butter (delicious!)
-Beatles Keychain (with a mirror! Very cool looking)
-Bean dip kit (looking forward to that)
-Spice Rub (looks like I need to make some ribs)
-Calender with Food Art (too cute!)
-Cozy socks (I love cozy socks!)
-Note pad with a little pen
-A purple and white mug

That was such an awesome gift! Thank you, Ghenne!
cornchili
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Iriae » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:04 pm

After receiving a tantalizing message from Indybear about package arrival, Boxes started showing up on my doorstep. My mom is visiting from Connecticut, and she's feeling sad that she isn't going to get to watch me open presents on Christmas for the first time, so I saved them for when she got here! According to the messages both from Indybear and one of the packages, there is more to come, which will also reveal who my Santa is! Currently, I have 2 books to educate me in my new state of Michigan, one humorous and one not; both equally informative tho. Also included is a local comedy CD, which I think I'll listen to after my mom leaves.

So while I have some great things to look over, I am still deliciously frustrated!
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Salt Dispenser

There are exceptions to every rule, except this one.
Iriae
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby ghenne » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm

cornchili wrote:Well, I finally home. I got here last night and pretty much crashed but I was super excited this morning when I found my package waiting for me.

Thanks, Ghenne! You are such an awesome Santa!

In the box:
-Teal message bottle (very pretty)
-Apple butter (delicious!)
-Beatles Keychain (with a mirror! Very cool looking)
-Bean dip kit (looking forward to that)
-Spice Rub (looks like I need to make some ribs)
-Calender with Food Art (too cute!)
-Cozy socks (I love cozy socks!)
-Note pad with a little pen
-A purple and white mug

That was such an awesome gift! Thank you, Ghenne!

You are very welcome! I'm so glad you liked it all!
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby indybear » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:38 am

I finally came up for air and made it over to my box, to find a box wrapped in tiki tape - yes, you read that right, tiki tape! And it came from Missouri! And it was from repmogirl!

Even before I opened the box (and I did open the box before the note), I could smell the coffee, and it smelled wonderful! The first thing I saw was a bag of White Trash - Dave immediately appropriated it. That's why I haven't told him about the next thing I opened - truffles (drool!) (Did I say drool?)

The wonderful coffee smell came from a bag of Moka Java Blend from Kuhlman's Koffee Roastery and Espresso Bar - they roast their own coffee. There were also cinnamon ornaments - did you make them?

And Carrie had made a trip to the yarn shop, because she got me stitch markers (which are both very pretty and very needed - I can't find any of mine right now) and Knitter's Balm. I can really use the balm because I'm knitting some gifts this year, and the skin on my hands gets really dry. Plus I've been working in the kitchen and the sanitizer we use just destroys my hands.

Thanks, Carrie! Yours was a wonderful locally-sourced non-big box Christmas package!

(And we made some of the coffee this morning - it tastes as good as it smells!)
indybear
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby chefshawn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:52 am

ajkdvm wrote:
Thanks so much for everything, Shawn, and Merry Christmas! :D

sweet!

i'm glad it made it there well, and just in time! we did our best to put together a "kit" for a nice, comfy weekend. i'm glad the kitties enjoyed their share, too, and as for as the boy of the moment goes, i'm sure he'll get his due in good time.

merry Christmas everybody!!!

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby repmogirl » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:33 am

indybear wrote:I finally came up for air and made it over to my box, to find a box wrapped in tiki tape - yes, you read that right, tiki tape! And it came from Missouri! And it was from repmogirl!

Even before I opened the box (and I did open the box before the note), I could smell the coffee, and it smelled wonderful! The first thing I saw was a bag of White Trash - Dave immediately appropriated it. That's why I haven't told him about the next thing I opened - truffles (drool!) (Did I say drool?)

The wonderful coffee smell came from a bag of Moka Java Blend from Kuhlman's Koffee Roastery and Espresso Bar - they roast their own coffee. There were also cinnamon ornaments - did you make them?

And Carrie had made a trip to the yarn shop, because she got me stitch markers (which are both very pretty and very needed - I can't find any of mine right now) and Knitter's Balm. I can really use the balm because I'm knitting some gifts this year, and the skin on my hands gets really dry. Plus I've been working in the kitchen and the sanitizer we use just destroys my hands.

Thanks, Carrie! Yours was a wonderful locally-sourced non-big box Christmas package!

(And we made some of the coffee this morning - it tastes as good as it smells!)

Glad you like it! I was getting a bit antsy because I couldn't find my receipt with the tracking number on it.

I did make the cinnamon ornaments. I used better cinnamon this year than I have before & I don't think they smell as strong.

I also bought Kuhlmann's coffee for us, but I haven't broken in to it yet. I think I'll make some this morning. They came to the Ozarks after they got wiped out by Katrina.
I've been kissed by Pixie!

"Al tavola non s'invecchia mai"
repmogirl
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sockpuppet » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you Wendyj. The gifts are wonderful. My girls LOVE the aprons (I do too) and the jewelry. They immediately put them on and haven’t yet taken them off. :D We are making more fudge today and are excited that we all now have matching aprons to wear while working in the kitchen. They co-opted the candy canes and I am sure when hubby gets home he will be taking the wafer rolls for himself. All except the cappuccino he doesn’t do coffee (yea me I get to have one for myself, lol). The necklace and earrings are lovely. I look forward to wearing them. The beautiful sand dollar ornaments are already on the tree. And as soon as I finish posting this I will be reading through the cookbook.

The girls showing off the new aprons and necklaces

The rest of the goodies except my apron, I was still wearing it when I took the picture.

Sockpuppet
Beware the Sock!
sockpuppet
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby wendyj » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:08 pm

You are so very welcome!!! My daughter and I had great fun making all the gifts for you and the girls (except the cookies)----even down to the mini whisks!! It was a pleasure and seeing their faces made me smile.
Don't cry because it is over. Smile because it happened. --- Dr. Seuss

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. -- Thomas Edison
wendyj
Lieutenant Briner

Postby ghenne » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:24 pm

We had over a foot of snow between last night and this morning, but being the tough New Englanders we are, hubby and I braved it and went out to pick up a few last minute items on my list.

I came home to a big box addressed to me from Sockpuppet!!!

I was so excited I barely took my coat off before tearing into it.

Inside was a beautifully wrapped basket filled with:

A bottle of Vintners Red Wine (sold in Fla only)
Mulling spices (love that)
Key Lime Jelly
Orange Marmalade with Ginger
Blueberry Preserves
Mango Chutney
and a tin of homemade fudge, two kinds!

I'm so excited! Thanks so much sockpuppet. I truly appreciate all the thought and time that went into this gift. You made my day!

Wishing you and your adorable girls (and hubby) a very happy holiday!

Thank you again!
Lisa
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby sockpuppet » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Hooray! I'm glad it made it there safely. I was worried about the glass containers and the cold. Enjoy!

Sockpuppet
Beware the Sock!
sockpuppet
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby vickatina » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:43 am

I got a package from Nolafoodie today!! YEAH!! :D

I found a BUNCH of cool stuff tucked inside. Sorry, I still don't have a digital camera (maybe Santa will bring me one) So, you'll just have to settle for my description:

Lots of yummy Middle Eastern pastries! Ever since I made a few Middle Eastern dishes with my culinary school classmate (she's from the Middle East..) I've been curious about making others. Nolafoodie provided more encouragement!!

2 varieties of a Middle Eastern molded cookie, filled with pistachios and the other with dates. YUM! We tried those right away!

Then, a cookie mold (with a recipe) so I can make my own! FUN!

AND a big box of an assortment of Middle Eastern pastries! OMG! They are GREAT! (Since it doesn't shop well, have to settle on figuring out how to make kunafa myself! :wink: )

And some New Orleans/Louisiana stuff:

Zapp's chips..crawfish boil flavored and Gumbo flavored..sounds de-lish! Actually, we sell Zapps chips at my store, but not those flavors..we only have "generic" flavors, like vinegar, BBQ and stuff like that.

A New Orleans blend of coffee (with chickory)..sounds good.

A New Orleans spice blend called "Tony's Creole Seasoning"..I opened it, dipped a bit on my finger..Hmm..I got ideas for that stuff!!

A kitchen tool I DON'T HAVE! A tool to core zucchini, squash, potatoes, etc. I haven't seen a tool like that before. Think I might use that to make a new side dish for Christmas dinner. Thanks!

The awesome and fun trivia game called "Foodie Fight." My daughters and I opened that and played a quick game right away. They knew quite a bit more than I thought! Some of the questions related to things they saw on GE and were able to answer quickly!! We are gonna play that game A LOT!

And the last gift:

HAHAHAHA! It was the pic of AB and I at his booksigning back in March. Nola made it to look like one of those "inspirational" posters. Underneath the pic is my sig line. "STALKING" Until the papers are signed, it's just following. My sig line came from my time in culinary school.

The rest of my family is gonna love that! My culinary instructor used to introduce me to others as the "resident Alton Brown stalker." When one of my classmates asked me if I ever considered moving to Georgia, my instructor answered "Nah, not yet..she needs something to do when she retires! I was also commonly referred to as my schools own personal Alton Brown.

Don't worry! I like it! My hubby wants to frame it!

Thanks sooooooo much! Everything is well liked! And I look forward to eating/trying everything and experimenting with the seasoning, cookie making/and veggie tool.

Thanks again!

:D :D :D :D
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Next

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget