[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - GE 10th anniversary Show - Briner meet info

GE 10th anniversary Show - Briner meet info

The cream of the crop.

Re: GE 10th anniversary Show - Briner meet info

Postby Sharona » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 pm

So far, I'm free all day Saturday to hang out with the GEFC crowd. I'll be meeting up with my husband for the 2pm show, then ditching him afterwards to go back to hanging out with you guys.

PM me if you want my cell number to get in touch on Saturday.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Norm357 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Sams Mother is supposed to get out of the hospital tomorrow and she will be staying with us. I don't know now if we will be able to meet up at Ted's.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby gwilson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Food tour tentative info:

Right now, I think meeting at the Sheraton between 10:00 and 10:30 is fairly set. Some people are getting in Saturday morning, so depending on Atlanta (air) traffic, hopefully we'll leave around 10:30 to set out on the tour.
First stop will probably be lunch (I'm thinking either Asian food court or barbecue - any preferences?), then a stop at a store or two.
We'll be back around 1:30 in order for people to get to the 2:00 show. Then we'll head back out and do more stuff. People are welcome to join the tour at this point if they want.
And we'll be back from the second part between 5:00 and 6:00. I'm not setting an exact time, but it will be plenty of time to get to the show by 7:00 and/or meet up with people at Ted's before the show.

Any questions/suggestions, post here or pm me.

-Greg
But with food, I'm like the reckless son of James and Paula Dean. -Ben Grabow
gwilson
Captain Briner

Postby EricE » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:02 am

Change in plans for me. I'm now flying in on Saturday - I have to work tomorrow/Friday (er, today in 6 minutes as I type this - sigh)

I'll be arriving at 10:40AM Saturday morning in Atlanta. I may just rent a car unless someone else is going to be near the airport at that time.

For the show:

Good Eats 10th Anniversary Special with Alton Brown
Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, ATLANTA, GA
Sat, Aug 29, 2009 07:00 PM
Seat location: section C-ORCH, row EEE, seat 10

I didn't pay attention to the row - it's my initials :)

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

I fly out Sunday afternoon at 4:15 PM which means I'll have to head for the airport probably around 1:30 or so - pretty much after lunch on Sunday.
Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.
EricE
Admiral Briner

Postby allaboutduncan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 am

We'll be arriving much later than originally planned.

We're in the middle of ball season and we had a makeup game scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning. Since I'm the coach, I've got to be there.

So, we'll (my son and I) be leaving after the game around 1 p.m. - which will put us arriving around 6 p.m. in Atlanta. Just enough time to grab some dinner before the show.
Phillip
www.allaboutduncan.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Oh, they have the Internet on computers now."
-------------------------------------------------------
allaboutduncan
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby Sharona » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:58 am

I will be at the Montana Grill get-together. Probably earlier than 5pm unless I end up hauling folks around somewhere.

Everyone who's said they are coming, and even Norm who can't (*hugs* to Sam's Mom), should have my cell # in a PM by now.

Eric, I can pick you up at the airport Saturday morning. But I can't commit to dropping you off on Sunday, don't know my schedule then. Sorry, hon. Let me know if you want the pickup, tho.

I posted my tickets to Craigslist. If they don't sell, I'll go to the 7pm myself and have a second good time :)
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby geimerst » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:01 am

EricE wrote:Change in plans for me. I'm now flying in on Saturday - I have to work tomorrow/Friday (er, today in 6 minutes as I type this - sigh)

I'll be arriving at 10:40AM Saturday morning in Atlanta. I may just rent a car unless someone else is going to be near the airport at that time.

I'll be at the airport at that time - check your PM
geimerst

Postby EricE » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am

Sharona wrote:.Eric, I can pick you up at the airport Saturday morning. But I can't commit to dropping you off on Sunday, don't know my schedule then. Sorry, hon. Let me know if you want the pickup, tho.

thanks for the offer. Since we see to be so fragmented I hink i'm just going to get a car - looks like I can get one for $70. I can get Dan or any other fellow latecomers.

If I knew more about when and where I was going to be I would just use the train/shuttle. I'm too much of a control freak to go carless with this many unknowns :)
Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.
EricE
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 pm

ok, gang. i just found some time away from the other 9 of the trip with the family, and have read again through all 4 pages of this thread to catch up.

my lady and i will be driving in from hilton head island on saturday, and will likely arrive in the atlanta area around late lunch time. the flipburger place sounds like my new home! i hope to seek it out before i leave in the morning. if not, maybe doc greens still exists, and i can begin to catch up on my roughage shortage here on the island (never order vegetables on an island). pix, do you know if they are still open?

anyway, i believe we can make it to ted's before the evening show. slam, i think that'd be a good place for me to get my tickets from you. are we sitting in a group?

for a one-sentence summary of my update:

chefshawn and kerri - free for late lunch - no tour - teds at 5 - evening show - free afterwards - room at holiday inn X - leaving after lunch sunday towards knoxville

maybe someone would be kind enough to sort out the member/tickets/rooms setup?

shawn

also, my cell number is up for grabs to anyone that needs it. just pm me, and i will likely get back online at least once more this evening.

my lady and i are great with faces, and terrible with names. please, no matter how many times we've met, dont be upset if we cant remember who you are. thanks.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby beldenmusic » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Hey everyone, I hope you are looking forward to the show, it's going to be great! Here at the last minute I have two very good tickets left for the 7:00 show, these are NOT comp tickets I'm trying to sell, I paid for these because we had some friends coming into town that had to cancel at the last minute. The seats are Orchestra Center row R seats 123/124, they are on the front row of that section, and are on the very end by the aisle. If any of you are interested in these, let me know. I paid I think $35 a piece plus the ticketmaster b.s. charges that came out to $95 bucks, but I'm not really looking to recoup all of the money, I just don't want these seats to go to waste. So if any of you have the $10 dollar tickets and want to 'upgrade' , you could do it without spending another $100 or so. I'm not going to set a price, but I'm definitely negotiable. Because I have a call time of 7:30am tomorrow and have very limited time for dealing with this I'm going to have to do this on the honor system. I'll print the tickets out tonight and if you're interested give me a call at 404.281.9718 and leave a message, and I'll call you back after the first show and leave them at will call for you. We can worry about payment at a later date, you are good bunch of folks here so I trust you :)

Thanks!

Patrick
beldenmusic
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Norm357 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Good news! Sams Mother is in rehab center for the next week so we will be able to make it to Teds!

Sams Mother is doing great BTW! Up walking around and everything.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 pm

We get into Atlanta at 10:46 AM Saturday. We make our way north and will be at Ted's for the beginnings of the festivities.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby gwilson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:48 am

Latest new & improved food tour info:

I'm still planning on getting to the Sheraton about 10:30, and leaving shortly after that. The first stop will probably be Buford Highway Farmer's Market to look around a bit. Then we will head to lunch at Fox Bros. for barbecue or maybe the food court of Hong Kong Supermarket, depending on what the group is in the mood for. Below are directions to both places, if anyone wants to join us for lunch. Text or call me, and I'll let you know where we are.

After eating, it will probably be time to head back to drop off the 2:00 show people. If you want to meet up with us at this point, call or text me sometime in the morning so I know who to look for. After regrouping at the hotel, we'll head back out. My plan is to be back at the hotel around 5:30, to give people time to get ready for the second show and/or meet people at Ted's.

Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q is located at 1238 DeKalb Avenue NE Atlanta, GA 30307.

From the airport, follow the signs to get onto I-85 North. Take I-85 North about nine miles and take exit 248b, Edgewood Avenue. Go about 4 blocks and turn right onto Boulevard (Yes, Boulevard is the name of the street, er, boulevard.) Staying to the far right, go a couple of blocks and turn left onto Decatur Street. This will turn into DeKalb Avenue, and Fox Bros. will be on your left about a mile and a half down.

From the Sheraton, take I-75 South to exit 248c, Freedom Parkway. Go about 3 blocks and turn right onto Boulevard (Yes, Boulevard is the name of the street, er, boulevard.) Staying to the far right, go about seven blocks and turn left onto Decatur Street. This will turn into DeKalb Avenue, and Fox Bros. will be on your left about a mile and a half down.

Hong Kong Supermarket is at 5495 Jimmy Carter BlvdNorcross, GA 30093.

From the airport, follow the signs to get onto I-85 North. Take I-85 North about thirty miles and take exit #140, Jimmy Carter Boulevard. Turn right onto Jimmy Carter Boulevard, go to the first light and turn left or make a u-turn. The market is in the large shopping center on the corner.

From the Sheraton, take I-285 East to I-85. Take I-85 North about three miles and take exit #140, Jimmy Carter Boulevard. Turn right onto Jimmy Carter Boulevard, go to the first light and turn left or make a u-turn. The market is in the large shopping center on the corner.

And sorry about the late update. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

-Greg
gwilson
Captain Briner

Postby chefshawn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:13 am

8am here on the eastest coast, and we're up and movin about. we'll likely be outta here in the next 90 minutes or so, and on our way to atlanta. this will be my last post before leaving, so if anyone needs anything from me (i cant imagine what), just gimme a call on my cell.

lookin forward to seein you all!

shawn
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Pixietoes » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 am

chefshawn wrote:my lady and i will be driving in from hilton head island on saturday, and will likely arrive in the atlanta area around late lunch time. the flipburger place sounds like my new home! i hope to seek it out before i leave in the morning. if not, maybe doc greens still exists, and i can begin to catch up on my roughage shortage here on the

Doc Greens still exists in the city, although the suburban location we visited is gone.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Pixietoes » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 am

I've been thinking about where to go for good eats and hanging out after the show if people are interested. Here are some suggestions:

Lola's - Tapas style dining, might be perfect for the group since we'll a variety of tastes and some might be hungrier than others based on their choices at Ted's or even lunch.

Holeman and Finch Public House - When chefs in Atlanta go out to dinner, this is where they go.

These are both at Peachtree and Piedmont, which isn't walking distance to the hotel, but seem like good places to bring a crowd.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby gwilson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:52 am

Pixietoes wrote:I've been thinking about where to go for good eats and hanging out after the show if people are interested. Here are some suggestions:

Lola's - Tapas style dining, might be perfect for the group since we'll a variety of tastes and some might be hungrier than others based on their choices at Ted's or even lunch.

Holeman and Finch Public House - When chefs in Atlanta go out to dinner, this is where they go.

These are both at Peachtree and Piedmont, which isn't walking distance to the hotel, but seem like good places to bring a crowd.

I heartily second Holeman & Finch, although it will be crowded there. (Except it's not at Piedmont - it's further down Peachtree, a block past Peachtree Battle.) If you go, get the burger. Mmmmmmmm.

If you don't want to go far for some reason, there's not much close to the hotel. Probably the best thing that would be open later (with a kitchen) would be Charlie Mopp's. Although not my first choice, it's a decent place.

Another tapas place would be [http://www.puravida.com]Pura Vida[/url], although I've heard that they're extra busy now with Chef Santiago's exposure on Top Chef.

And the main reason I'm posting is to let people know that I'm on my way to the Sheraton. My outfit is brown, and I have the facial hair growth of someone who has been too lazy to shave for a couple of days. Just so you can recognize me.

-Greg
gwilson
Captain Briner

Postby gwilson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:57 am

Oh, forgot! The cocktails at Holeman & Finch are amazing - their main bartender/part owner, Greg Best, is aptly named.

-Greg
gwilson
Captain Briner

Postby Sharona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 am

Heading out in a bit myself, after I clean out 1,500 miles of debris from the car so there's room for a passenger or three.

If I can't meet up with people who don't go on gwilson's tour, then I'll likely drive to meet the tour.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Rockford 10 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:25 am

Cool! Holly Rose and I are ready for the day!
Rockford 10
Captain Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:06 pm

We just got in and are heading for Pixie's :dance:
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby EricE » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Slamdunkpro wrote:We just got in and are heading for Pixie's :dance:

huh

we are at fox bros BBQ
EricE
Admiral Briner

Postby Phobos » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:48 pm

After taking in the 2pm show I have to say you guys going to the evening show are in for a treat. AB is so thin now, but at least his hair is fixed. There was an ample pile of props on the stage with which to spot your favorite. I found mine--the lemon meringue pie slice. Looks like I'll have to live for another day to meet AB or my fellow briners, but the show was fantastic. Hope everyone has a great day.
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing."
Phobos
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Sharona » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:01 pm

oh yeah, the show was a blast. My first Good Eats show, now I can see why the rest of you rave over him. Almost three hours of fun.

We had almost 20 Briners at Ted's between shows. As I write this, the gang is at the 7pm show and hopefully having as much fun as we did.

We're meeting up at Holeman and Finch around 10:30 - come on by !
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby mattscrivo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:53 am

Hey All,

Thank you for taking me in! I had a great time tonight and I really felt at home with all the briner's.

I wish we could have made it to Holeman and Finch, the signing just took to long.

Thanks again, I hope to see you all again soon!

matt
mattscrivo
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby Rockford 10 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 am

(waving) Hi Matt! The shows were great - as was the company. If there was anyone else I would like to stand in line with for 2 hours with it's you guys!

When Matt, Geimerst, HollyRose, JJ, GWilson and I left the meet-n-greet it was about 12:30 and all the lights were out. Nothing would dampen the enthusiasm. I've got some pictures from the signing and a good one of the beef ribs (!) that I'll post later. This morning I need to get home!
Rockford 10
Captain Briner

Postby Sharona » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Much fun, and good company. Holeman & Finch is nice, but waaaay too noisy. And they have communal tables as part of the whole "public house" deal, but our table partners were a quartet of shrieking, tipsy young women. It was like sitting next to an aviary of budgerigars miked through an amp set to '11' -- went right through your skull! The 'decor' of open warehouse innards with walls of metal and glass -- nothing at all to soften or absorb sound -- made it worse.

Slamdunkpro is a saint for taking point and interposing his body between us and them (after we'd moved tables to get a little space) so that some of the sound was blocked. He can add 'sound barrier' to his resume along with 'killer bbq'.

Sorry we missed you guys. You were breaking out of the meet-and-greet as we were getting our checks and heading out. EricE showed up moments before we left, and shared some photos.

I'm going to miss the lunch today, fooey ... just too tired! Plus, husband hits the road in a couple of hours, and he'd like to see me a bit before he zooms out of town and back to work.

Hugs, everyone.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby honeycomb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 pm

When you're sufficiently recovered, please share details, gang! Living vicariously through your fun.

(For the hundredth time, wishing Atlanta were closer; just don't have the budget to see all the lovely southern Briners and His Briny Braininess himself, ya lucky duckies. :D )
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby JJ » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:15 pm

JJ
Captain Briner

Postby DanC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:36 pm

OK, this was probably one of the most awesome days I've ever had...
I didn't get many quality shots, but here's mine...

The gang at Teds

the swag...

Patrick, Me and AB

I have one more cute one but I need to get the future Mrs. C's mom's permission, first.

Thank you geimerst for the ride, and Sharona, and chefshawn and his Lady, and Eric...
Sorry we didn't make the after show party, we were beat and I really needed that 3 hours of sleep.

and, I got to meet MikeMenn!
I wish I had gotten to say hi to Mr. Belden, and man, this Texan Rocks!
We sat next to one of the game show contestants, so should definitely be on TV.

[edit]
permission granted.
DanC
Admiral Briner

PreviousNext

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget