[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Santa's identity revealed! (Gift Exchange 2009)

Santa's identity revealed! (Gift Exchange 2009)

The cream of the crop.

Santa's identity revealed! (Gift Exchange 2009)

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:18 am

The season started early this year! :D

And I must say that I am one lucky Briner, because I get the best Santas! This year, fortune smiled upon me and gave me Barb (okbye), who truly outdid herself and went far above and beyond the call of Gift Exchange duty... and what I received today was only "Part I."

First off, completely unexpectedly, Barb sent my gift in time for Eid al Adha (Festival of the Sacrifice) coming up on Friday. Because of the timing of the holiday, I did not at all expect my Santa to send me a gift this early, yet Barb did (though you shouldn't have!), and had even researched the history and traditions of Eid al Adha. In honor of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son and God's mercy in replacing Abraham's son with a lamb, this holiday is marked by, among other things, giving gifts of meat (especially lamb). So, meat was the theme of my gift.

Inside the shipping box was a gift bag imprinted with the greeting, "Eid Mubarak" (loosely translated, "have a blessed holiday"). A note explained the package's contents. Inside were beef jerky, dried "beef nuggets," and summer sausage (said Barb, "I can't really give you real meat so I found the next best thing: formed, dried, processed meat. :)"

There was also the most adorable little pink elephant toy for Jenna (said Barb, "I searched everywhere for a baby lamb but failed so the little elephant is standing in. She said she didn't mind and would try her best to learn to baa."). It hangs (e.g., from the carrier handle), and when baby pulls it, it plays music. So cute! And Jenna is just starting to notice and bat at mobiles and other dangling things, so the elephant is perfect!

And then there was the best part: a donation to Heifer International for part of a sheep. Heifer is one of my favorite charities, and a donation in honor of the holiday is a wonderfully meaningful, special gift.

I truly could not have asked for a better present or a better Santa. Thank you so, so much! :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Re: Santa's identity revealed! (Gift Exchange 2009)

Postby nolafoodie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Whaaaaaaaaa?

I just got another ginormous package from Barb, full of awesome goodies. The baby's complaining right now -- how dare something other than her occupy my attention -- but I'll post the details, and hopefully a picture, soon. :)

Thanks, Barb!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 pm

I totally missed this when you first posted it. Sounds like GEFP Briner Santa 2009 is off to a great start! I've stickied the thread, so I give you (or, rather, Nola gives you) the Loot Thread!!

:D
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby okbye » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 am

Dude I said that wasn't the present, it was just the Eid symbolic stuff (which I have since learned is pronounced eeed, not eyed like I was saying). I hope you didn't think your gift was a beef log and some jerky. I would have been pissed if I were you, lol.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 am

okbye wrote:Dude I said that wasn't the present, it was just the Eid symbolic stuff (which I have since learned is pronounced eeed, not eyed like I was saying). I hope you didn't think your gift was a beef log and some jerky. I would have been pissed if I were you, lol.

"Dude"?! :lol:
the rest of your post? LOL!!! Bye, you do Rock!
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:59 am

okbye wrote:Dude I said that wasn't the present, it was just the Eid symbolic stuff (which I have since learned is pronounced eeed, not eyed like I was saying). I hope you didn't think your gift was a beef log and some jerky. I would have been pissed if I were you, lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, there was also a Heifer donation -- that counts for a lot!!!

(BTW, DH loved the beef log -- eats it with eggs for breakfast -- and I polished off the jerky pretty quickly, as protein-rich bite-sized items I can eat to avoid starvation while I tend to a very demanding infant are pretty much exactly what I need at this time.)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby TessB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Was told but UPS that my gift was delivered at 2PM today. I'm hoping my giftee sees this and lets me know she got it.
A day without cannolis is like a day without sunshine- Phil Rizzuto
Why do people park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?- George Carlin
Nobody puts Baby in the corner- Johnny Castle(Patrick Swayze-Dirty Dancing)
TessB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Eye4got rules!! I'll post some pictures and descriptions in a bit, but the dude dropped a fortune on shipping. I'll say this, half the Salami is gone (insert joke here) and I'll leave you with this:

The Grimace.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Rockford 10 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:46 pm

I got a lovely package from ajkdvm last night that was wonderful. More details to follow (apparently I'm supposed to do work right now?)!
Rockford 10
Captain Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Nola rocks! Laissez les bons temps rouler! :dance: :dance:
Details shortly.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby missimessi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Seems my tricky UPS man hid a package inside my gas grill, no kidding, on Wednesday! At the backdoor I never use. Suffice it to say I am over the moon about my very own copy of Bakewise from Bon Bon. I can't wait to dive in and do some reading!!!!
missimessi
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Slamdunkpro wrote:Nola rocks! Laissez les bons temps rouler! :dance: :dance:
Details shortly.

Whew! I'm going to assume it arrived safely -- what a relief! I was worried, what with all the rain today. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby LucyLu » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:58 am

Madalive (and family) hooked me up!!!

I received several cookbooks including a 1946 copy of The Joy of Cooking!!! I also got my very own tool kit so I can fix stuff at my new place and some cat toys for kitty. What a great way to start my holidays!

Thanks again!!!

-L
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby KittyFixer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 am

It's pounding down snow outside, there's 6"+ on the ground, and my Santa absolutely rocks!!!! Thanks Maria (Haleoalau)-- I got 3 quilting books, all based on antique patterns from the Kansas City Star newspaper. Most of them are star-based patterns, which are my all time favorite. Plus I adore antique quilts! So I'm gonna spend the day picking out some fabric and playing with my sewing machine, watching the snow cover everything. The cats will help, no doubt. :P
KittyFixer
Second Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby Madalive » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:41 am

No problem Ms. Lucy, that what we called you as we put the package together. You will always be in our good graces since you introduced us to the Tabbouleh Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FaNzrtu ... _page&hd=1
Ethical concerns cannot overcome the siren’s lure of a triceratops ride.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:27 am

Aw, Rockford 10, hope you and your family enjoy the loot. :D Also really, really hope the jar survived the journey...
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Kathy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:32 am

I just wanted to say that my gift arrived in fine form yesterday afternoon. Charlene was my Santa. I have only opened the card and taken out the cookies-it's ok Charlene...they are wonderful :wink:

I have not looked at anything else. The box is under my tree awaiting Christmas day. I will write more after it's opened.

Thanks so much! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Kathy
Kathy
Ensign Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Madalive wrote:No problem Ms. Lucy, that what we called you as we put the package together. You will always be in our good graces since you introduced us to the Tabbouleh Song.

(minor threadjack)

Remy is awesome! Check out the Hummus Rap. :) And if you're familiar with the DC suburbs, the Arlington Rap is hilarious.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby altnbrwnismyguru » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:11 pm

I got my package the other day and we have eaten all most all the tasty cookies. My santa is Kathy and she sent me a box of goodies. She sent some fudge, divinty, sweet and spicy nuts and buck eyes! I love buck eyes... Also included was some wild rice pancake mix which is going to be used christmas moring and maple syrup and some rye bread mix. and some very tasty peach jam which is home made. As the treats were gobbled up right away I didnt get a chance to take any pics...
Bellboy, I´ve got to get running now
Bellboy, keep my lip buttoned down
Bellboy, carry this baggage out
Bellboy, always running at someones bleedin´ heel
You know how I feel
Always running at someones heel
altnbrwnismyguru
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby haleoalau » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:22 pm

I posted a few days ago that I received a box from Sheboygan Santa - that being Whisk! I pulled out a lovely bag of toffee (and YES, I got some bacon toffee - nyah!) and am saving the wrapped items until Christmas morning. Thus, more details to follow.

An early thank you; it was a lovely surprise early in the week.
Maria
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Madalive » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:13 pm

nolafoodie wrote:
Madalive wrote:No problem Ms. Lucy, that what we called you as we put the package together. You will always be in our good graces since you introduced us to the Tabbouleh Song.

(minor threadjack)

Remy is awesome! Check out the Hummus Rap. :) And if you're familiar with the DC suburbs, the Arlington Rap is hilarious.

I grew up 45 miles Northwest of Detroit so I love the Dearborn MI references
Ethical concerns cannot overcome the siren’s lure of a triceratops ride.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:32 pm

TessB wrote:Was told but UPS that my gift was delivered at 2PM today. I'm hoping my giftee sees this and lets me know she got it.

Package indeed arrived and has been opened today. Pics and details to follow. :D
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Sharona » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:04 am

Thank you thank you Secret Santa!

I have been totally out of it the last couple of weeks with life crisis, dental surgery and stuff. I feel rotten for not having gotten on to give details and my very VERY appreciative thanks! (and my SS is going out this morning on our way to the airport. I'm still not able to drive so hubby's handling it for me)

off to the airport for a vacation (ha) in Vegas that was planned long before December happened. We gleaned a list of restaurants from the reviews and comments here in previous notes. Hubby's totally psyched. So there's more thanks I owe you guys for helping make trip planning easier.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby jsp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Sharona wrote:Thank you thank you Secret Santa!

I have been totally out of it the last couple of weeks with life crisis, dental surgery and stuff. I feel rotten for not having gotten on to give details and my very VERY appreciative thanks! (and my SS is going out this morning on our way to the airport. I'm still not able to drive so hubby's handling it for me)

off to the airport for a vacation (ha) in Vegas that was planned long before December happened. We gleaned a list of restaurants from the reviews and comments here in previous notes. Hubby's totally psyched. So there's more thanks I owe you guys for helping make trip planning easier.

:D Very glad to see this and wishing you Bon Voyage as well as Feel Better Soon! and Merry Christmas - but remember: just because it's said that "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" doesn't necessarily apply here, ya know :wink: ... when you're feeling up to it DO fill us in about your adventures there and what Y'ALL think of the places you went!
Deep Breath. Say it with me, people: "I do NOT need burgundy velvet bows." *exhale*...
- Carolyn Shepard, in Tough Love, Charlotte Taste, Holiday 2005/2006 (emphasis mine)
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous
jsp
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: still trying to figure that out... but I think I like it here!

Postby sockpuppet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Horray! Santa came today. Well Santa Butterbean. THANKS! I got a box full of goodies. A tin of Hotel DuPont Macaroons (yummy!), some really fun Christmas shaped pastas, A Milmour wonder cup (Like ab's 1cup plunger cup), a selection of silicone pinch bowls, a rottie calendar (my youngest claimed that :) , some poultry and steak seasoning that smells wonderful and neat DuPont pens and bag. Yea! I love it all.

Thank you!

sockpuppet
Beware the Sock!
sockpuppet
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby Littlebit » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I got a box in the mail today, from Missimessi! Not opening it until Hegehog gets home though. But wanted to let her know (both here and on FB) that it arrived safely. Thank-you in advance and I'll thank-you again once we open it, LOL!
ImageLittlebitImage

Honorary Oompa Loompa and Official GEFP Maven of Cynicism
Littlebit
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:59 pm

sockpuppet wrote:Horray! Santa came today. Well Santa Butterbean. THANKS! I got a box full of goodies. A tin of Hotel DuPont Macaroons (yummy!), some really fun Christmas shaped pastas, A Milmour wonder cup (Like ab's 1cup plunger cup), a selection of silicone pinch bowls, a rottie calendar (my youngest claimed that :) , some poultry and steak seasoning that smells wonderful and neat DuPont pens and bag. Yea! I love it all.

Thank you!

sockpuppet

So glad it arrived, Sock! I mailed it the day before the snow storm & had some fears about it's arrival. Hope you enjoy!

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:38 pm

As promised, here are the details of my very generous gift from okbye!

First came the meat, Heifer donation, and toy for Jenna. Then came the big box o' goodies. In it were:

- Good Eats: The Early Years
- The Cozy Crochet Kit (both of these came from my Amazon wish list)
- Wilton Cake Release (like Baker's Joy, but non-aerosol. I had no idea this existed, and can't wait to try it!)
- Silicone brush (really nice and sturdy -- thanks!)
- A "Taggy" (plush mini-blanket/lovie with many tags attached in different colors and textures) handmade by Barb's sister (does she have an Etsy page?)
- Homemade cookies: Santa's whiskers (as seen in the cookie cook-off), mint church window cookies, jelly strippers (made with Jules' jam), and "some weird chocolate cookies that have pepper, cinnamon, and chili powder in them" -- these are delicious and I need the recipe!
- Homemade pistachio toffee -- yum!
- Wagon wheel chips: they look like dried pasta, but are corn-based -- you fry them and they puff up like Munchos chips. I'm actually quite familiar with these, as they're very popular in the Middle East and I used to love these as a kid, but haven't had them in... oh, gosh, at least a decade!
- A buttload of candy from Cerreta's, an excellent chocolatier near Barb's home
- A bag of Mexican candies and treats -- yummy, interesting stuff, all of which I want to try at once, but can't because it's intensely sugary :) (What I've tried so far has been pretty yummy, though)
- A bag of British candies and treats (in my best JD voice: "mmmm, Britishy!"). I'm also pretty familiar with most of these, as they're popular in the Middle East as well and have satisfied many a chocolate craving while I was there and didn't want lousy Arabic chocolate. (Hey, Barb, have you ever tried Quality Street?)
- A bunch of other holiday candy
- A lovely letter explaining the package contents, and greetings for every holiday of the season. :)

I think that's everything -- goodness, it was a lot of stuff! See?

And here's Jenna enjoying her Taggy:

Thank you so much, Barb, you've been a wonderfully generous Santa. DH, DD, and I are enjoying your gifts immensely! Merry Christmakwanzukkestivus to you and yours! :D
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby whiskMEaway » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Moonblaze, you ROCK!!!

The package arrived today and I am *so* surprised/happy/grateful/ecstatic about the contents!!!

I pulled out the t-shirt and laughed out loud-literally! I have been wanting that shirt since as long as i can remember... nice. (and it fits perfectly!)

Thank you for all the care and thought you put into everything! I am at a loss for words to explain just how gracious and excited i am! :dance:

For those that want to know, here is what Moonablaze put together for me:
    A homemade "lumpy" hot/cold bag.
    "Frankie Say Relax" t-shirt (that song is going to forever be in my head now-not a bad thing!)
    Pocket Knitting Guide
    California Santa ornament
    SLT Chef ornament
    Cat Toys (The cats thank you)
    Bacon Bandaids!
    California Cookie Cutters - Sun & Palm Tree aka. Cali Christmas Tree
    Apricot-Jalapeno Jam
    Orange-honey almonds
    Pack of "Shut the Hell Up" Gum (for Stewie, LOL)
    Chocolate, Chocolate and MORE CHOCOLATE!
    including: Local-made Bacon Chocolate, local-made cocoa nib dark chocolate bar, Scharffenburger Extra Dark chocolate bar, Dagoba "Eclipse" bar (which i have always wanted to try, but never have), and two big packs of Trader Joe's Dark & Extra Dark chocolate bars.

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by whiskMEaway on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiskMEaway
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby jsp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:30 pm

:D :D :D (Squeel!!!)))) :D :D :D :D THANK YOU Secret Santa Kitty Fixer!! The package arrived today and from all indications the handlers did indeed pay attention to your indications of 'This Side Up" as everything inside appeared to not have been jumbled in the least -- and the package of Crab Chips ("Potato Chips with Chesapeake Bay Crab Seasoning") suffered no excessive squishing (and dang - they're good!! LOL! Thank you!) What a truly lovely letter and intriguing bunch of packages were inside - will get into those soon (seriously doubt I'll be able to hold off till Christmas but will be giving it a try!)

Our two cats LOVED the packing paper of course... Nikki is peaking out of the pile (yes, it includes shipping paper from a couple other packages that arrived today too), and Prin is somewhere deeper in... I can hear her purring too :wink:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your kind thoughtfulness means more than I know how to say - and do stay safe and warm in that snowstorm!! More later - Jan
Deep Breath. Say it with me, people: "I do NOT need burgundy velvet bows." *exhale*...
- Carolyn Shepard, in Tough Love, Charlotte Taste, Holiday 2005/2006 (emphasis mine)
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous
jsp
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: still trying to figure that out... but I think I like it here!

Next

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget