[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Heifer International Donation

Heifer International Donation

The cream of the crop.

Heifer International Donation

Postby beenie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Merry Christmas, everyone!! We're slowly closing in on the end of the exchange. Of the 39 participants this year, we have already heard from 28. In the Jilted Briner/Heifer International coffers, we currently have $138.10, graciously donated by 8 folks. Thank you! If you remember, we had a total of $560 last year (not including the two amazing matching gifts). I realize that money is tight for most this year (myself most certainly included), but I would love to see us be able to at least come close to last year's donation, if not surpass it.

If you can even spare $5.00 or $10.00 this holiday season, every little bit counts toward making someone else's life a little brighter. Much love to you all.

I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Re: Heifer International Donation

Postby nolafoodie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am

Just chiming in to remind everyone that when you make your PayPal donation, you should make sure the money gets sent as a personal transaction rather than a purchase. The default is to treat it as a purchase, and when that happens, PayPal docks "seller fees" from the amount that Beenie receives. No fees are taken out for personal transactions. So, when making your donation, right underneath the amount box, please click on the "Personal" tab and click on "gift," "payment owed," or whatever.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby BonBon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55 am

Beenie,
Any update in the jilted briner/Heifer Int fund? Where there any jilts? How much to the fund so far? Let's get this fund going. We know we can do it, only $5.oo each would help. Such a rewarding accomplishment for us a community.
Bonnie
Q: What was the most positive result of
the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the
Obama bumper stickers off the road.
--David Letterman
BonBon
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby beenie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:15 pm

It appears as though I may have ruffled a few feathers. If that's the case, I apologize. So, I will simply say this:

Please donate if a) you are able and b) you feel that Heifer International is a worthy cause. Remember, every little bit helps Heifer International bring a better, more hopeful life to impoverished communities all over the world.
beenie
Big Sister

Postby lunanoir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm not sure that trying to shame people into donating is the best way to go about it.

People will donate to their worthy causes as they are able.

I might view the thread, but I have my own causes I contribute to.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:30 pm

No shame, just the facts.
beenie
Big Sister

Postby lunanoir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 pm

But.. these two data are completely unrelated. You're trying to force them into a correlation. Just because someone might click on a thread (on multiple IP addresses possibly -- I access the board from at least four different IP addresses on a regular basis) does not in any way relate to how many people are available to donate.

I say take what you have and be grateful without putting numbers up or trying to make people who may read the thread feel bad. If only a few people donate, next year arrange a private donation.

I know you're trying to do a good thing, but I know you're getting frustrated at the lack of donations. Just step back and stop worrying about how many people might be reading something.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:11 pm

Check your PM.
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Erin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Well...*gingerly clears throat* If I may...this is a noble and honorable donation to make if one can. It is good that we have the opportunity to donate on the board, and that it is monitored by one who deeply cares about this charity. We are fortunate.

I myself have clicked on this thread a number of times. I'm usually at work (as I am now) and prefer to donate from home. I click on this thread to re-read it, as a way to remind myself to check my balances to see if I am able. Today, I clicked on this thread again. And then I went to reconcile my balances in my register and...I cannot donate until payday. I'm saying right now, I will likely click on this thread a number of times again until then for the same reasons as I have before. But donating at this very moment - when I'm actually IN the thread - would put me under, which I cannot do. Kinda ironic... ;)

Also, it's worth a mention that many of our Briners live leanly, and some are looking for work. Add to that, with the holiday season having just passed, many people are a little tapped from gift-giving...and donating to worthy causes.

So, I think the link between views and donations maybe isn't terribly clear. Sorta like clicking on any thread on the board; someone may have 100s of views, but maybe 8 responses. Probably a number of reasons why...God knows if I commented on every thread I click on in Poli-Fry, I would have a much different relationship with many people on the board. ;)

I think the thrust of this thread - and forgive me please, if this is putting unwanted words in your mouth, Kat - is to please give if you are able, and give generously. We're a pretty decent bunch of folks and this is a good charity. Thank you for reading this thread.
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:31 am

nolafoodie wrote:Just chiming in to remind everyone that when you make your PayPal donation, you should
make sure the money gets sent as a personal transaction rather than a purchase. The default
is to treat it as a purchase, and when that happens, PayPal docks "seller fees" from the
amount that Beenie receives. No fees are taken out for personal transactions. So, when
making your donation, right underneath the amount box, please click on the "Personal" tab
and click on "gift," "payment owed," or whatever.

I don't see a "Personal" tab. The box under the amount says: "Update total". :?
Is there another way to tell Pay Pal not to deduct "seller fees"?

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby nolafoodie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:04 pm

OK, I think I know what the deal is with the "Personal" tab. If you are donating by clicking Beenie's link (the button that says "Donate"), then you don't have to specify anything, because it's already going through as a donation, and no fees are deducted. It's only when you donate "the long way," as it were, by logging into your PayPal account, clicking "send money," and entering gefp (dot) gift (dot) exchange (at) gmail (dot) com as the recipient. It's just another way of doing the same thing, useful if you already happen to be in your PayPal account when you decide to donate. Sorry for the confusion.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby nlkdavid » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:06 am

I stay out of squabbles, but seriously, this thread - a status message about our other holiday tradition, ruffled feathers? :|
Turn your offend-o-meters down, nobody's forcing nor shaming anyone to participant. If you can & want to, do so... If you can't or don't want to, don't...
Choice, so simple, yet so misunderstood...
nlkdavid
Captain Briner

Postby beenie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:45 pm

In a repeat of last year, donations are open through the weekend after the Super Bowl (to allow those of you who are big winners to donate some of your winnings ;) ).

Thanks!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby missimessi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:29 pm

I tried awhile back, and couldn't get in to do it. I'm glad for the reminder, since it worked for me today! :D
missimessi
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby altonfaninmd » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Without knowing what the organization is about, I saw this post and thought to myself "wow, they are taking up donations for Rachael Ray to get liposuction".... wrong heifer fund I guess.
altonfaninmd

Postby geimerst » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 pm

altonfaninmd wrote:Without knowing what the organization is about...

Fair enough, for the benefit of the newbies:

http://www.heifer.org is one of AB's favorite charities.
For the past several years, this group has made a donation to
Heifer of left-over holiday funds and other contributions.

Heifer’s mission is to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth.

By giving families a hand-up, not just a hand-out, we empower them to turn lives of hunger and poverty into self-reliance and hope.

With gifts of livestock and training, we help families improve their nutrition and generate income in sustainable ways. We refer to the animals as “living loans” because in exchange for their livestock and training, families agree to give one of its animal’s offspring to another family in need. It’s called Passing on the Gift – a cornerstone of our mission that creates an ever-expanding network of hope and peace.

Alton's video message on the Heifer web site

ref page:http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.201470/
geimerst

Postby altonfaninmd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:02 pm

I've seen that on TV!
altonfaninmd

Postby BonBon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 am

I love this charity. It gives you so much fun thinking about a family receiving a heifer, water buffalo or llama. It is hard to fathom what this means to the family. Like winning the lottery. Lifechanging for that family and perhaps even generational.
I sure hope we can send some money, even by part of a heifer. ( I vote for the tenderloin. :wink: )

Bonnie
Q: What was the most positive result of
the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the
Obama bumper stickers off the road.
--David Letterman
BonBon
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby missimessi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:42 am

I don't know about the site, but if you get their catalog in the mail, it goes into great detail about how each of these animals you can purchase can change the lives of the recipients. Rabbits, ducks and so forth may not seem like a big deal, but to them it sure is.

I wish my lifes troubles could be changed with a bunny. That makes me so optimistic, I love Heifer.
missimessi
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Is there a final tally of what's been donated? I'm glad we do this too!
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Erin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 pm

beenie wrote:In a repeat of last year, donations are open through the weekend after the Super Bowl (to allow those of you who are big winners to donate some of your winnings ;) ).

Thanks!

So! As the Superbowl was on Feb. 7th and Valentine's Day is now over, along with Candlemas, President's Day, National Gum Drop Day, Hoodie-Hoo Day, International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day, If Pets Had Thumbs Day, Employee Appreciation Day, Dentist's Day, International Working Women's Day - and today is Girls Scouts Day! - when will we make our undoubtedly massive donation? :)
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm

I apologize for the lack of movement on this - as several of you know, my life has been a mess lately, so I turned it over to Mongo's capable hands. I'm sure there will be an update soon.
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Erin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:10 pm

So, okay...

I know that Heifer International ain't going anywhere, but this drive has been going since Christmas with the intended donation to have been in mid-February. Come Thursday we're in April. With respect: the donation should be made now. After the big push to donate, the money's just been sitting there for months. It would be cool if it were earning interest, but something tells me it isn't. Pretty sure everyone who was going to donate has; goodness knows there's been plenty of opportunity.

As I and others have said, it is awesome that we as a community come together and make this donation every year. Obviously, life can get in the way of anyone and some delays are to be expected. However, there needs to be some resolution to this. We can collect and collect until we're blue in the face and it won't make a darned bit of difference to anyone in need if we don't actually make the donation. Let's shore this up.
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby anonymous_donor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm waiting for the donation to be announced (or at least a total) in order to process my matching donation
Can this please be resolved by the time the Men's NCAA Basketball champion is cutting down the net (Monday, April 5)?

Otherwise I will repeat my donation from last year, rounded up to the nearest $100.

Thank You.
anonymous_donor

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 pm

This is completely my fault, guys. Beenie asked me to take things over, and I dropped the ball. Tomorrow, I will look at the account and see how much we've got and get the donation in process. It WILL be done by the time Duke claims the NCAA title!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Chef Mongo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 am

As of this morning, we have $421.11 in the Heifer account. Great work, y'all!

Unless I hear a dissenting voice, I'm going to use our funds to donate:

1 pig for $120
1 goat for $120
1 sheep for $120
1 flock each of chicks, ducks and geese for $60 total

Total: $420. We'll leave the other $1.11 in the account toward next year's jilted Briners fund!

I'll give y'all the weekend to discuss then, as promised, make the donation on Monday!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Marz Epan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for following up on this.

Your suggested distribution sounds fine to me.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:32 pm

awesome work, gang!

ok, i think we can let this thread down, now.

i will be moving it to the unforgotten realm.

shawn
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget