[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - minibar by josé andrés (Very Pic Heavy)

minibar by josé andrés (Very Pic Heavy)

The cream of the crop.

Re: minibar by josé andrés (Very Pic Heavy)

Postby carla » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:59 am

ajkdvm wrote:Carla, you should be able to find honey powder (which is just dehydrated honey) at any Asian store - it's cheap, and great for sweetening cold tea.

Thanks for the info! Just have to buy a teeny tiny feather duster. :D
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby stixx23 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Add me to the list of those who like these kind of posts.

Slaggy and I are just starting our exploration of fine dining establishments. it's to the point where when we think about going somewhere like Kansas City to see a Yankees game, the first check is the baseball schedule and the second is the list of AAA awards to get an idea of where to eat!
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:21 pm

The interaction with the chefs was one of my favorite parts. As Jules said, we were very clearly the "foodies" in that particular seating and I think the chefs actually enjoyed conversation with people who had some appreciation and understanding of what was going on.

Early on, "Question Man" saw one of the chefs working with a transfer pipet and and asked what it was. They told him and I said something like, "I wonder what Escoffier would've done with those." One of the chefs joked "Probably forcemeat." I looked at Jules and she laughed, "Yes, you did just drop an Escoffier reference." I think we were "in" with the chefs after that. :lol:
An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 pm

okbye wrote:I like the pictures and commentary too but don't usually reply cuz frankly "Looks good" posted a dozen times seems lame. Maybe we need a "like" button like on facebook so we can approve without having to comment. :lol:

QFT!

And also thanks for the info that Julia Child's kitchen is back up at Smithsonian.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Party Flavor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:25 pm

stixx23 wrote:Add me to the list of those who like these kind of posts.

Slaggy and I are just starting our exploration of fine dining establishments. it's to the point where when we think about going somewhere like Kansas City to see a Yankees game, the first check is the baseball schedule and the second is the list of AAA awards to get an idea of where to eat!

Bluestem
An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Party Flavor wrote:

Bluestem

it's already on our list, but it's good to know it's on yours as well!

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:35 pm

stixx23 wrote:
Party Flavor wrote:

Bluestem

Not on my list per se (ha!); I just remember seeing the name in the James Beard nominations. I really don't have any desire to visit Kansas City.

Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby Tena » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

stixx23 wrote:
Party Flavor wrote:

Bluestem

You might look at Michael Smith as well when you are in KC next.
Excellent dining.
When your wrong, your wrong.

Dammit I'm mad is the same if you spell it backwards.
(And you totally just checked.)

Worry is a misuse of the imagination.
~Dan Zadra~
Tena
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Party Flavor wrote:Not on my list per se (ha!); I just remember seeing the name in the James Beard
nominations. I really don't have any desire to visit Kansas City.

I've visited Kansas City twice now. While I doubt that any of the places
Tena has taken me have gotten James Beard nominations, we ate quite
well. :D They do have excellent beef there, and know how to prepare it. :clap:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Party Flavor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Kinsley wrote:
Party Flavor wrote:Not on my list per se (ha!); I just remember seeing the name in the James Beard
nominations. I really don't have any desire to visit Kansas City.

I've visited Kansas City twice now. While I doubt that any of the places
Tena has taken me have gotten James Beard nominations, we ate quite
well. :D They do have excellent beef there, and know how to prepare it. :clap:

I'm sure there's good food to be had almost everywhere these days. If I'm traveling a good distance from home, I'd like the destination to be one I actually want to visit regardless of its food. Kansas City just isn't on my radar. I may never eat at any of the fine Las Vegas restaurants for much the same reason. It's also largely why I haven't checked out anything in NYC yet.

Jules and I discussed this when I said I got a rejection e-mail from el Bulli earlier this year. While the thought of eating at el Bulli is cool, neither of us had much of a desire to visit Spain outside of that. Had I gotten a reservation, it would've been a very tough decision.
Last edited by Party Flavor on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

PF, those photos are absolutely tantalizing, and your descriptions are always so well written that it makes me wonder if you have a sideline being a professional food writer. You really do have a way of taking the reader on a wonderfully vicarious gastronomic adventure.

Your and Jule's trip to minibar reminds me that I've been to Saam at The Bazaar (in Los Angeles), which is another José Andres restaurant within a restaurant. It was quite an experience, though taken down a few notches by some less than enthusiastic dinner mates. I'll have to sneak back sometime.

And for the record, I love these threads. The only reason I rarely post on them is because I'm usually too bedazzled to reply. :)
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm

new cook wrote:Your and Jule's trip to minibar reminds me that I've been to Saam at The Bazaar (in Los Angeles), which is another José Andres restaurant within a restaurant. It was quite an experience, though taken down a few notches by some less than enthusiastic dinner mates. I'll have to sneak back sometime.

That's very cool. He's getting a lot good press for The Bazaar.

Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby lunanoir » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:18 pm

new cook wrote:... It was quite an experience, though taken down a few notches by some less than enthusiastic dinner mates. I'll have to sneak back sometime.

You know, my dinner the other week was the first "major dining experience" (for lack of a better term?) I've ever had dampened by someone who didn't want to be there (and let us all know, in the manner of a petulant 15 year old, unfortunately), and not because of the company but because of the atmosphere and the food.

Sure, I've dined with people who aren't as "foodie" as I am, but usually they can still appreciate the experience, and are usually interested in learning or hearing more about what's going on. It was pretty disappointing to spend quite a lot and have someone put such a negative spin on it, and I was surprised at how much it affected the whole night.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm

lunanoir wrote:
new cook wrote:... It was quite an experience, though taken down a few notches by some less than enthusiastic dinner mates. I'll have to sneak back sometime.

You know, my dinner the other week was the first "major dining experience" (for lack of a better term?) I've ever had dampened by someone who didn't want to be there (and let us all know, in the manner of a petulant 15 year old, unfortunately), and not because of the company but because of the atmosphere and the food.

Sure, I've dined with people who aren't as "foodie" as I am, but usually they can still appreciate the experience, and are usually interested in learning or hearing more about what's going on. It was pretty disappointing to spend quite a lot and have someone put such a negative spin on it, and I was surprised at how much it affected the whole night.

Companions can make all the difference. I've had meals in the same restaurant with different sets of people and the difference couldn't have been more night-and-day.

Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Dining with non-foodies ... or at least "less-foodies" ... can be a gamble on all sides of the table and yeah, it really DOES reflect on the entire evening. Back when I was in a corporate environment, I had two non-foodie work friends who knew that 1 night during each business trip would be us three going someplace where food mattered. I appreciated how open they both were to the various places we visited and I know that they appreciated going somewhere that wouldn't have been on their radar. ("Tru" for instance, became "that place with the incredible asparagus soup". :lol: But hey - at least they liked it!)
I've also dined with folks who presented themselves as food-knowing types, only to realize that our definitions varied greatly ('tho none of them asked what was in a dish named "zucchini, zucchini, zucchini").
Luna - sorry your experience was dampened by the wet blanket. I'd so much rather someone tell me they couldn't go, even at the last minute, than to wreck the evening for everyone else.

As for places to eat, as PF said there are shining stars pretty much everywhere ... we all probably have a foodie-mecca bucket list. (Plus if I get on a plane this year that DOESN'T go to SFO, my folks are gonna start to wonder if PF exists.)
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby honeycomb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Butterbean wrote:
Party Flavor wrote:It was suggested to me via PM last week that threads like this don't usually get a lot of responses because a number of people here are in faltering relationships and/or struggling financially.

:lol: I fall into both categories, but I thoroughly enjoy these threads.

Yup, though I truly hope that despite my own challenges you hear the genuine Oooos and Aaaaahs.

Honey powder! What fun. :D My daughters would love it.
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby JeanC » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Add me as another for liking threads like these. Those pics are great and the food looks delish. I like these threads since there is very little chance of my ever being able to go to places like these, so I like being able to "experience" them vicariously thru others :mrgreen:
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Amazing meal, PF. The quail egg in the parmesan shell made me drool just a little.

I'm not a molecular gastronomy/food as high art fan in general. My tastes simply run in an almost entirely different direction. But the way you shoot those pictures would touch any food aficionados soul.

I'm willing to bet that, with your talent and photographic equipment, you could make a meal at Denny's look appetizing. ;)
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby tj » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:51 pm

The thread is rewarding and fascinating and the parade of comments is wonderful, but Mongo, your Denny's reference brought the house down.

And to all, good night!
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:I'm willing to bet that, with your talent and photographic equipment, you could make a meal at Denny's look appetizing. ;)

Denny's? At least make it a challenge...Waffle House :twisted:
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby doglot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:29 am

Doglot enjoys these posts too.
doglot
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:42 am

Grovite wrote:
Chef Mongo wrote:I'm willing to bet that, with your talent and photographic equipment, you could make a meal at Denny's look appetizing. ;)

Denny's? At least make it a challenge...Waffle House :twisted:

You gotta problem with Waffle House, Junior? What, you want the cook to NOT be smoking while he makes your eggs? Pansy.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby stixx23 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 am

I'm more comfortable at a Waffle House where I can see them cook my meal than a Denny's where I can't.

Double waffle and triple hash browns scattered, smothered, covered and peppered, please.

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby captnhoney » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Those pics are great, I will have to try mini bar next time I am in D.C.. Lat time I was there we tried Oyamel and it was just delicious. My husband was scared becuase he had never had good mexican food before but by the end of theeal he was changed. I had started with tamal verde it was a chiccken tamal with verde sauce. Then I had a couple of tacos, one was a shredded beef taco and the other was a bqq pork and they was very good and I also had pollo mole poblano it was a chicken smothered in mole sauce and it was wonderful. I forgot what my husband had expect he had a few of the same tacos I did and enjoyed them. We had drinks and shared a tres leche cake. There was something interesting on the menu I didn't try they had grasshopper tacos, I am wondering if anyone has tried them or not? I ask because I am curious and I am not sure I could eat grasshoppers lol. The experience there was just amazing and I hope to go back again soon.

Brandi
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby kimberlyjoy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 pm

I love these threads too. It motivates me to go to these types of restaurants someday. Thanks so much for sharing! :D
kimberlyjoy
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Bubbles_Meg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Count me in as another who loves these type of threads. Since work keeps me on the road, almost all of my meals are eaten away from home and since I'm one of our single members, 95% of those meals are eaten solo. While eating out solo doesn't bother me, I have found from experience that "destination" dining is not the most enjoyable experience because it isn't shared. I've had some fabulous destination dining experiences when with others though and really enjoy reading about and seeing pictures from others experiences.
Bubbles_Meg
Ensign Briner

Postby new cook » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:Amazing meal, PF. The quail egg in the parmesan shell made me drool just a little.
Indeed!

Now there's a photo contest that would be fun! 8) But not limited to just Denny's.

(Extra points and big giant screaming buttloads of admiration to anyone who can make Kwanza cake look appetizing.)
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Sun May 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Party Flavor wrote:In our conversation with the chefs at minibar, they also revealed that José is going to be featured on 60 Minutes this week. Apparently Anderson Cooper is very much NOT a foodie, so they found his reactions upon being served some of their creations quite interesting.

*bump* for the 60 minutes segment, which is set to air tonite. :D
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Erin » Sun May 02, 2010 7:41 pm

That was a VERY enjoyable segment! I actually laughed out loud in amusement when he popped open the mojito, uh...globule. :) Pretty innovative stuff going on, there. And heartwarming that he volunteers at the soup kitchen, too. What an interesting man. I am envious of the Silver Fox, that he got to spend so much time with him.

Man...between this and the Conan segment, this is the first time I've been interested to watch 60 Minutes in many years.
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Very nice segment! It definitely caught Andres' exuberance.
Apparently Anderson Cooper is very much NOT a foodie, so they found his reactions upon being served some of their creations quite interesting.

Aw, I wouldn't be too hard on Anderson. Growing up as a son of Gloria Vanderbilt, he probably has a more refined palate than most of us. I don't think being new to molecular gastronomy is grounds for turning in your foodie card

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

PreviousNext

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget