[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - GE Demographic Survey (first question)

GE Demographic Survey (first question)

The cream of the crop.

In what type of area do you live?

Urban (large city of more than 1 million)
14%
Urban (medium city of 500,000-1 million)
4%
Urban (small city of 100,000-500,000)
15%
Large Town (50,000-100,000)
21%
Small Town
21%
Suburb (like you folks in Woodstock, etc.)
19%
Rural
5%
I am currently institutionalized (for Zoomy)
1%

Total votes : 100

GE Demographic Survey (first question)

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue May 18, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm curious about our makeup ... who we are, where we live, what we do for a living ... so I'm going to run a series of polls to find out!

This ain't the Census. There will be no tracking of who gives what answer and no penalty for not playing. :)

First up, where do we live?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: GE Demographic Survey (first question)

Postby ghenne » Tue May 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Cool! What a great idea.

I thought maybe I'd be the first "small towner" but I was the 4th.
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Tue May 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Yep, we're technically a small town living within 10 minutes of an urban area with 100,000 to 500,00 people.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Tue May 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Wait a sec -- what would you say is the difference between a suburb and a small town? Wouldn't a small town adjacent to a city be considered a suburb?
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby lunanoir » Tue May 18, 2010 4:47 pm

nolafoodie wrote:Wait a sec -- what would you say is the difference between a suburb and a small town? Wouldn't a small town adjacent to a city be considered a suburb?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing.

I live technically in a chicago suburb -- but it's a town of 50,000+ in its own right.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue May 18, 2010 4:48 pm

A suburb is primarily populated by people who make their living in the adjacent big city.

Gastonia, where I live, doesn't qualify as a suburb (yet) because most of the folks here work here or nearby, not in Charlotte.
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Catherine » Tue May 18, 2010 4:52 pm

I live in Stepford. Wheeee.
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby SingingWillow » Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm

We live in Missouri City.

Missouri City is a city located in the U.S. state of Texas within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area. The city is mostly in Fort Bend County with a small portion within Harris County. As of the 2000 U.S. Census, the city had a total population of 52,913 (though a 2005 estimate placed the population at 63,910).

So, I guess that makes us a Large Town.
Ship's Talespinner & C.R.O.N.E.
Watching Caydence Grow

Rod Stewart wrote:I would have given you all of my heart
But there's someone who's torn it apart
And he's taken just all that I had
But if you want I'll try to love again
Baby I'll try to love again but I know

The first cut is the deepest
SingingWillow
Admiral Briner

Location: I was in your arms Thinking I belonged there ...Thinking I'd be strong there....But I was a fool

Postby aslansavz » Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 pm

What if we're a suburb of a suburb of a suburb of a megatropolis and there's no differentiation between those suburbs..it looks like one gigantic town LOL

I put suburb, even though we're at over 80,000 on our own.
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Tue May 18, 2010 6:17 pm

I selected large town, but Newark's population is 28,547 (according to Wiki). However, when U/DE is in full session, the population definitely swells to close to 50,000. There are a lot of suburbs, not in the city limits where the postal address is Newark; I live within the city limits, pay city taxes, etc. Complicated question, Mongo, but a good one. I think I chose correctly; Newark doesn't fit the definition of a "small town" to me.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby new cook » Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 pm

By this poll's standards I live in a large town, but it's really a small city. And we are mostly bordered by the megalopolis that is the city of Los Angeles. There is no physical division between the two, you simply cross the street where they meet and you're either in one city or the other. For that reason, living here only feels like living in a small city when you're dealing with its government vs L.A.'s.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue May 18, 2010 9:11 pm

i live in a town of 9000ish, but in the knoxville area of just about 200000
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Norm357 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Wed May 19, 2010 12:25 am

I live in what I would call a small town.

Palmerton, PA. Population about 5,250.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Chef Mongo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:41 am

It would also be fair to say that this survey measures perception on some level. Do you think of your hometown as being a small town, or do you consider it a suburb? I'm not going to be checking, fer crissakes! :)
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby calkat » Wed May 19, 2010 12:55 am

ok - that was fun. I didn't know the population of my little suburb, so I looked it up at http://homes.point2.com - found out the average income, the average age, population - quite interesting, never knew that! Then I started looking up places that I used to live... 'twas a good question - learned somethin' on that one.
calkat
Commander Briner

Postby Grovite » Wed May 19, 2010 8:06 am

SingingWillow wrote:We live in Missouri City.

Missouri City is a city located in the U.S. state of Texas within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area. The city is mostly in Fort Bend County with a small portion within Harris County. As of the 2000 U.S. Census, the city had a total population of 52,913 (though a 2005 estimate placed the population at 63,910).

You're in a suburb. Hell, at this point, Victoria is damn near a suburb.

Anyway, I moved from one suburb (Richardson, TX) to another (Leesburg, VA). I know that a lot of people here in Loudoun County can't stand to be lumped in with Fairfax, Arlington, Falls Church, etc., but for the most part, ALL of eastern Loudoun is a suburban nightmare whether they like it or not. We're fairly close to Washington considering the DC Metro area's reach.

US 15 seems to be the dividing line between the sprawl and the farm/horse country, but you see a lot of development moving west, much to the chagrin of the local powers.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby SingingWillow » Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 am

Grovite wrote:
SingingWillow wrote:We live in Missouri City.

You're in a suburb. Hell, at this point, Victoria is damn near a suburb.

I was going to select suburb, but it doesn't really fit.

Missouri City does not have a whole awful lot of people who work in Houston main. We are a large population of retirees.
We don't have bus service. Harris county services, for the most part, do not extend to our area.
We don't feel like a "part" of Houston. There's even a Museum of Natural History in neighboring Sugarland.

I just hope we never get annexed.
Ship's Talespinner & C.R.O.N.E.
Watching Caydence Grow

Rod Stewart wrote:I would have given you all of my heart
But there's someone who's torn it apart
And he's taken just all that I had
But if you want I'll try to love again
Baby I'll try to love again but I know

The first cut is the deepest
SingingWillow
Admiral Briner

Location: I was in your arms Thinking I belonged there ...Thinking I'd be strong there....But I was a fool

Postby nolafoodie » Wed May 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Grovite wrote:Anyway, I moved from one suburb (Richardson, TX) to another (Leesburg, VA). I know that a lot of people here in Loudoun County can't stand to be lumped in with Fairfax, Arlington, Falls Church, etc., but for the most part, ALL of eastern Loudoun is a suburban nightmare whether they like it or not. We're fairly close to Washington considering the DC Metro area's reach.

Did somebody say... Arlington?

(I know, I know, I've posted this before, but it's just so darned funny, and apropos to the discussion at hand.)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 am

I had to look it up. I didn't realize how close we are to being "urban," by Mongo's definition cited in the poll.
We are not a suburb; many commute to our town from both north & south because our housing prices are so outrageously high.
It's a city, but I consider it a "town" because I grew up here.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby nlkdavid » Sat May 22, 2010 1:20 am

I voted Large Town on the feel of my current residents of Sherwood AR, who wiki says has a population of 26k. Suburb of Little Rock may also be appropriate, though I don't know how many suburbs annex neighbors, nor have ordinance fever (just the one's about pets are enough to make your head spin, lol) that surpasses their parent city, quite like this place.

Last month I would have answered Rural Small Town. :?
Choice, so simple, yet so misunderstood...
nlkdavid
Captain Briner

Postby Littlebit » Sat May 22, 2010 10:08 pm

I think "small town" vs "big city" is SO subjective.

When I lived in Staten Island, the population of the Island was roughly 400,000. It was considered "small town or suburb" because Manhattan has millions of people.

Now I live in Orlando, which has over 2,000,000 residents (my area of Hunter's Creek has roughly 25,000 but I consider myself to live in the Hunter's Creek section of ORLANDO - even though I live in unincorporated Orange County, which makes it even MORE confusing, LOL), yet I think i's MUCH more suburban/small town that when I lived in NY.
ImageLittlebitImage

Honorary Oompa Loompa and Official GEFP Maven of Cynicism
Littlebit
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Sun May 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I put large city because I spend most of my year in LA (a city of nearly 12 million). For the summer, I'm in the place I consider my home town. It's a "small town" of 30,000, which is a suburb of a "medium city" of a little over 1 million, which has grown larger than the neighboring, formerly "large city" of San Francisco (population 800,000).

(all numbers are rounded from figures found on wikipedia)
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Sun May 23, 2010 10:18 pm

lunanoir wrote:
nolafoodie wrote:Wait a sec -- what would you say is the difference between a suburb and a small town? Wouldn't a small town adjacent to a city be considered a suburb?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing.

I live technically in a chicago suburb -- but it's a town of 50,000+ in its own right.
This, if you change "Chicago" to "St. Louis".
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby TessB » Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 am

East Northport is considered a small town of 31,250 people
A day without cannolis is like a day without sunshine- Phil Rizzuto
Why do people park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?- George Carlin
Nobody puts Baby in the corner- Johnny Castle(Patrick Swayze-Dirty Dancing)
TessB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby kyle » Wed May 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Littlebit wrote:I think "small town" vs "big city" is SO subjective.

When I lived in Staten Island, the population of the Island was roughly 400,000. It was considered "small town or suburb" because Manhattan has millions of people.

Now I live in Orlando, which has over 2,000,000 residents (my area of Hunter's Creek has roughly 25,000 but I consider myself to live in the Hunter's Creek section of ORLANDO - even though I live in unincorporated Orange County, which makes it even MORE confusing, LOL), yet I think i's MUCH more suburban/small town that when I lived in NY.

I always get a giggle out of the staten islanders who say its the burbs.
kyle
Site Admin

Postby jo31b » Thu May 27, 2010 2:08 am

None of the cities in my home province are more then 90 000 people so I don't know where you get towns that size except for Oakvill On who insist they are a town of around 125 000 or so right next to Toronto.

I guess it varies state to state province to province so sure, <100 000 could be a town.
jo31b
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby koshersalty » Thu May 27, 2010 10:36 pm

In the land of mintpoo.
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Fri May 28, 2010 12:54 am

koshersalty wrote:In the land of mintpoo.

Would somebody please explain this to me? Salty?
Is it a Michigander joke?
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby BikerBobo1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 am

Chef Mongo wrote:This ain't the Census. There will be no tracking of who gives what answer and no penalty for not playing.

Dang, I was looking forward to that Census girl knockin at my door again too. I had forgotten to fill in a few blanks......
I want to retire early enough to work on my own crap.
I want to live long enough to get to ride it.
bobo Bolinski
BikerBobo1
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget