[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Lunch Challenge

Lunch Challenge

The cream of the crop.

Postby cfrench » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:04 pm

There are peanut and tree nut bans in both of my children's schools. It's not so bad at my daughter's school because A. she likes food and B. her school is small and the staff is able to heat up leftovers. My son, however, is a challenge to feed. (He always has been.) Since I can't afford hot lunch every day for the child -- and I don't like what the school serves -- and he doesn't like cold cheese sandwiches, any luncheon meats, or any soups, I found myself frequently sending him with jelly sandwiches (he doesn't like cream cheese, either.) It wasn't an ideal solution, but it was the best I could come up with. I'd love suggestions. I had visited this thread when it first started in hopes of getting some ideas.

C.
Official keeper of all things vinyl
cfrench
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

suggestions for lunch

Postby ElleMo » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:40 pm

i just have one question if there are still any people leftover from the PA board still around that might be checking in on this thread.

my question is what exactly are busy parents suppossed to supply there kids with for lunch if peanut butter is not available?

Good question, which is in a few threads on the PA board actually. My DD is only 3 so I have not needed to do any of this yet, but I do always take 'safe' food with us whenever we go to a friend or relative for dinner.

Some suggestions are pasta salad, various cheese & meet sandwiches, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, leftover chicken (if you like it cold), cheese and crackers; chicken salad, tuna salad, vegetarian children can have cheese (if they eat milk products) or bean salad. Others have already mentioned other nut & seed butters that are available.

A small freezer pack in a thermal bag can keep things cool & take away any worry of food going bad. I use them all the time as I always bring 'safe' food for any gathering that we go to. Many are kid-friendly; I have a Disney Princess one and have seen many others cartoon character, TV shows, etc. for kids
ElleMo

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:04 am

okbye wrote:Nutter Butters are pb sandwich cookies. I might take up that challenge of non-peanut peanut butter cookies. Where does one get soynut butter? It shouldnt be too hard to come up with something edible. I assume cashew butter and hazelnut meal are ok?

soynut butters are available in regular grocery stores where I live. Sometimes they are near the regular peanutbutters, but more often they are in health food area. They are also sold in health food stores. You could probably get them cheaper in places that sell bulk food. That's not an option for me because of cross-contamination, but a lot of people buy it because they want to not because they have to. :lol: As for cashew and hazelnut, I chose to avoid all nuts. Not everyone with pa does - but because it is so common to be allergic to both peanuts and some tree nuts, I just don't feel it's worth the risk. DH and I joked around about sitting in the hospital emergency room feeding me nuts just to see what would happen. But, I'd still always be afraid of developing nut allergies later on. After all, I lived on pb most of my life.

Also, regarding getting lunches ready the night before -- things like tuna salad, egg salad, can be made up and put in to little plastic dishes in the fridge. The bread can be buttered and wrapped, and with the treats put into the lunch box. Then, in the morning put the salad and a cold drink in.

Postby AnnaMarie » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:06 am

:oops: I did it again! Forgot to sign in. :oops:

The above post was by me.
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby mojopox » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:15 pm

ok to clear up confusion there are actually two kinds of nutter butters. first there is the cookie that is shaped like a peanut. this is two peanut butter cookies sandwiched around a thin layer of peanut butter. the second kind is the little debbie snack that is like a wafer cookie with peanut butter on the inside and chocolate dipped around the outside. the later of the two is what i always had. i suppose that a little debbie oatmeal sandwich cookie would have been a fine supstitute in a peanut free school.

Ellemo, those are fine lunch options for sure. but i still think that you would get alot of parents irrate that they are having to spend to much time and money on there kids lunch because they are not allowed peanut butter. of course my kid is going to be taking fish taco's or something good to lunch anyway if i have anything to say about it. so i dont know why im asking.--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby AnnaMarie » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:54 pm

A few more sandwich ideas:

Heinz Sandwich Spread. (Personally the sight of the stuff makes me gag, but dh and ds love it.)

Cinnamon Spread. (Wouldn't want it everyday, but it is good on occasion.)

Honey.
AnnaMarie

Postby carla » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:22 pm

What are these things? Is the Heinz stuff potted meat? Like Underwood canned deviled meats? :shock: (My pride won't let me buy stuff like that anymore, but I have eaten it several times in my childhood. I do buy canned corned beef hash about once a year. Heck, if Vienna sausages won't kill ya, neither will potted meat. Or hot dogs, for that matter. ;-))

More importantly, what is cinnamon spread? Sounds like something I'd swoon over!

AnnaMarie wrote:A few more sandwich ideas:
Heinz Sandwich Spread. (Personally the sight of the stuff makes me gag, but dh and ds love it.)
Cinnamon Spread. (Wouldn't want it everyday, but it is good on occasion.)
Honey.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby AnnaMarie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:19 am

Carla, the cinnamon spread is delicious. Do you like sprinkling cinn & sugar on toast? This stuff is probably all artificial (except of course the sugar ;) ) and comes in tubs a bit smaller then margarine. It's creamy and good on toast or bread - and according to my son it's also good on pancakes and waffles.

The Heinz sandwich spread - no not meat. It comes in jars, found on shelves in the grocery store, but needs to be refridgerated after opening. It looks kind of like mayonnaise and relish mixed together. That is NOT what it is, but that's what it looks like to me. I don't have any in the house right now. When we went shopping dh decided he's buying some on our vacation, because if he buys it now our son will eat the entire bottle himself. (Son is 21 and not coming with us.)
AnnaMarie

Postby Myrealana » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:04 am

mojopox wrote:so anyway about my question. what would a parent who's kid goes to a peanut free school pack in there kids lunch anyway?--dave

My son does go to a peanut free school. It's no big deal. At the beginning of the year they send home a note telling parents that there are children who might die if exposed to nuts or nut oils, and informing us that any nut products found in backpacks, lunch boxes or desks will be confiscated. The school never give us names, so the only way we know if someone has an allergy is if we find out from the kid or his parents.

The school doesn't make a big deal about it. It's just handled in a matter-of-fact way. Just like you don't bring a pocket knife to school, even if you're Cub Scout certified to be able to use it, you don't bring nuts.

My son usually eats the school lunches. We as parents have put a lot of work into getting them as healthy as possible in our district. When he doesn't, he takes an insulated lunch bag with a ham or turkey sandwich, or a chef salad, cold chicken, or a cheese sandwich. The kid eats better than I do, most days.

When he gets to middle school, the nut ban is lifted. The assumption is that a 6th grader can handle his own allergy - a 6-year-old can't do as well.

People make way too much out of nut bans and how it's infringing their "right" to peanut butter. I've never heard one parent complain in our school. I don't know what the vegetarian parents send with their kids, but they obviously find something.

Kids with life-threatening allergies have just as much right to education as anyone else.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby fictiongoddess » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:57 pm

Myrealana, thanks for related your experience with a non-allergic child in a school with a peanut ban. I've been curious about how it is viewed from folks in your shoes, but haven't encountered any myself to ask.

My PA child starts preschool in September, and one of the factors that led to choosing this particular school is that they do not allow nuts. That doesn't mean that we can stop being vigilant, especially since parents take turns bringing snacks for the class, but it does mean an increased level of safety for Ian beyond what we might have had otherwise. We'll still bring his safe snack--I don't want that burden to rest on the shoulders of other parents--and will bring snacks ourselves in the snack rotation. It just makes the overall environment safer for him, and for any other kids with this allergy.

When I spoke with the preschool director before we got on the waiting list, she said that they'd made the decision to go nut-free because there has been such a tremendous increase in the number of allergic kids in this age group. They didn't feel it was worth the risk to allow nut products anymore. It is a little different in that it is only half-day preschool instead of full-day public school. Lunch isn't an issue like it will be the following year when Ian enters kindergarten. Until then, we'll just take it one day at a time, be as prepared and creative as possible, and teach him to take charge of his situation in ways that are age-appropriate.
I'm not cute or handsome. I'm an omnivore! - Ian
fictiongoddess
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

I hate children

Postby quasibovine » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:00 am

If you had a child with a messed up immune system, it's up to you to handle it. I'm not going to curtail my or my child's life for you. Americans with Disabilities Act be damned. This entire thread makes me want to wander the halls of schools dropping peanut shells from my pockets. Grow up people.
quasibovine

Postby cutie » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:34 pm

Quasibovine,

Your subject line says it all...

P.S. I'm really glad I came to this site - I've been enjoying it immensely these last few months!
cutie
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby Grovite » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Bump :twisted: :twisted:
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby EricE » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Grovite wrote:Bump :twisted: :twisted:

That was evil - I forgot about this thread. What the heck justified this bump?
Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.
EricE
Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:46 pm

EricE wrote:
Grovite wrote:Bump :twisted: :twisted:

That was evil - I forgot about this thread. What the heck justified this bump?

technically, I brought it up in the Jon Kitna Rant thread.
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Previous

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget