[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Lunch Challenge

Lunch Challenge

The cream of the crop.

Postby new cook » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:17 am

murrayaa wrote:New Cook....I was responding to Holly's note...sorry for the confusion. Put her name in my post's title....but forgot to address her name in the body of my post.

Ahh.... OK, I forget to read the subtitles sometimes, too! :)

By the way, I have learned quite a bit and realize I should wash my hands after eating lunch, as I do often enjoy peanut butter and trail mixes and the like. Until this (hi-jacked) thread, I had no idea that I could possibly be endangering anyone by eating then walking straight out of the office to do a little shopping. It's a busy, tourist attracting street, so there are lots of kids around. Thanks also to the person who answered the question about whether people can also continue to have this allergy once they approach and enter adulthood.

I do still wonder what could be at the root of the explosion of this "epidemic" as it seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. Environtmental toxins maybe? I wonder what studies are being done on it.

Now if you'll excuse me, my husband is calling.... the movie is starting! :D
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Grayson » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:10 am

WOW! :shock: How did I miss out on this thread? At the risk of fanning the flames, oh... what the heck!...allow me to make a neutral observations...

(1) It appeared to me that someone in the (to paraphrase Holly) in the "Let's-make-schools-into-BioDomes" Camp got so incensed that they began recruiting of like-minded folks (perhaps from an issue-centric BBoard) or signing up as a whole bunch of newbie posters themselves to add weight to their side of that debate.

(2) Horror stories and impressive poster credentials (both as parents and as medical professionals) came out of the woodwork to add gravitas to a position not in favor with the majority of long-standing GEFP participants.

(3) I noticed a consistent writing style, and so would suspect a similar hand at work even without the other cues.

Having had my own personal experience with Image , I can offer this as the most likely scenario. My guess is that their work here is done.

And I guess I can speak freely, as I can't imagine any of these folks lasting 15 minutes in the state of Georgia!
I mean... we have peanuts freakin' EVERYWHERE! :shock:
Lifetime Member of The Order of Lord Flashheart, BOSA Enabler, Coolness Maven, Proud Half-witted Peon, Der Fleurer's Minister of Propaganda, co-founder of T.P.C., Keeper of the Safety Word, Ceremonial Holder of the Pointed Stick, unconfirmed GEFP Illuminati, and retired costumed adventurer.
Grayson
Admiral Briner

Postby SK3 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:08 am

This is my first post on this site,Hello everyone

These are a few of the web sites I use for educational purposes.

I have learnedso much from these sites, hope this helps! :D

http://www.foodallergy.org/

http://www.theallergyreport.org/
SK3

Postby Grayson » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:17 am

I'm calling "Shenanigans"! Now, back to the post...

Y'all know what I like for lunch sometimes? Just a melange of various good eats...
(And I use a cold-pack and an insulated lunchbag to keep food safely chilled)

Choices...
- Cheese of your choice (I like swiss or gouda)
- A hunk of 9-grain bread
- a bunch of grapes (or the fruit of the season)
- A nice piece of cold grilled chicken (or maybe some smoked ham)
- A handful or walnuts, pecans, pistachios, or... yes.... even the dreaded peanuts!

Voila!
Lifetime Member of The Order of Lord Flashheart, BOSA Enabler, Coolness Maven, Proud Half-witted Peon, Der Fleurer's Minister of Propaganda, co-founder of T.P.C., Keeper of the Safety Word, Ceremonial Holder of the Pointed Stick, unconfirmed GEFP Illuminati, and retired costumed adventurer.
Grayson
Admiral Briner

Postby islander » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:22 am

sunflowers wrote:Oh my second question is : What is a briner? :oops:

I'm sure that someone can give a better explanation than I can, but, in one of the earliest episodes of Good Eats, Alton showed how to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving. Before you cook it, you put it in a brine solution and let it soak. Here's the recipe. He's since done this several more times, and has discussed the difference between a brine and a marinade...

So a Briner is, literally, one who brines.

Alton also often reminds us to "wash those chickeny hands" or "porky" or even "charcoaly"... (what would turkey be? Turkeyey?), so that's why some members of this board call it the "Good Eats Ship Chickeny Hands"... rather than being sailors on this "ship," some have taken the title "Briner" to heart. This is where our "ranks" come from.

I'm sure one of the longer time posters can correct any fallacies in my post... I've only been here a few months myself.
islander
Commander Briner

Postby Grayson » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:26 am

Another Italian-themed lunch favorite is...
- Some homemade focaccia
- Handful of olives
- a hunk of goat cheese
- a nice green salad with basalmic vinegar
- a handful of dried apricots
Grayson
Admiral Briner

Postby Moose » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:50 am

Jeez, leave a thread alone for a few days, and look what happens.

Great googa-mooga, more trolls than a bridge appreciation convention.

Moose
Ship's Coonhound (and wiener dog) Wrangler

Moose
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby BigCrab » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:00 pm

Grayson wrote:(3) I noticed a consistent writing style, and so would suspect a similar hand at work even without the other cues.

That was my suspicion too, but several of them returned, to apologize... using eerily silmilar wording again; and they admitted that they were an organized assault from another website. The similarity in writing style is the result of them all being brainwashed by the same cult, to believe that they are victims of a cruel society that owes them special treament. I was convinced that there were quite a few different folks involved in what Stixx dubbed the Peanut Inquisition, although there might have been some cases of multiple identity.

They still wouldn't identify themselves except that they or or their children were allergic to peanuts, but at least they aren't nearly as insane as DOE or as creepy as Altonia Blue. Trollish to be sure, but not your garden variety trolls.
BigCrab

Postby islander » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:16 pm

Lee wrote:Actually, Islander, there are two definitions associated with the word briner. You can see where the term originated here. If it's a "Briner" you are, then you have seen each and every episode of the show (and some say have also brined something - preferably a turkey). If you are a "briner" (notice lowercase), then you brine or are a fan of AB and the show Good Eats, and you hang out here or at the Yahoo group.

Thanks.

That's why I said "literally" -- although I didn't know that Briner and briner were different, I wasn't sure how far back I needed to go, so I was telling sunflowers that in the non GE world, a briner is a person who would do a brine, after explaining what a brine is.

However, having read your description I'm still not sure if I'm a Briner or a briner. :D
islander
Commander Briner

Postby carla » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:40 pm

This IS a good thread. In general, it shows a lot of class. I'm glad some PA board people showed up.

I do know about PA and I would accomodate. Exactly how I don't know. I too will never have children, by choice, and will never have these worries. But I do know people with PA kids.

New members, stick around if you like. I don't feel this thread, in general, was poorly handled. And I don't think you're all trolls. Just very passionate. :) It is true that ya'll jumped in with a specific agenda. And this is a Good Eats fan page. And we are good people here!

It's an honor to be entered into Posts We Don't Want to Forget!
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:22 pm

new cook wrote: :D

By the way, I have learned quite a bit and realize I should wash my hands after eating lunch, as I do often enjoy peanut butter and trail mixes and the like. Until this (hi-jacked) thread, I had no idea that I could possibly be endangering anyone by eating then walking straight out of the office to do a little shopping. It's a busy, tourist attracting street, so there are lots of kids around.

Thank you New Cook. I promise to keep this short and sweet. Believe it or not, I've reread these posts again (this time with a much clearer head :wink: !) I realize I had absolutely no business jamming my fears about my child down your throat while you all were trying to talk about lunch ideas. (By the way, I loved alot of the ideas!) I also realized many of you were asking questions trying to understand, and you weren't necessarily getting answers. I could see how you felt attacked as people jumped into your thread with such high emotion.

Oh, also, New Cook, sorry I confused you with Holly in regards to the kids with AIDS.

I really appreciate those of you who saw through the craziness and took the time to learn some more about food allergies. Now, with head hanging low, :oops: I'll sign off.

Postby ihatenuts » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:
new cook wrote: :D

By the way, I have learned quite a bit and realize I should wash my hands after eating lunch, as I do often enjoy peanut butter and trail mixes and the like. Until this (hi-jacked) thread, I had no idea that I could possibly be endangering anyone by eating then walking straight out of the office to do a little shopping. It's a busy, tourist attracting street, so there are lots of kids around.

Thank you New Cook. I promise to keep this short and sweet. Believe it or not, I've reread these posts again (this time with a much clearer head :wink: !) I realize I had absolutely no business jamming my fears about my child down your throat while you all were trying to talk about lunch ideas. (By the way, I loved alot of the ideas!) I also realized many of you were asking questions trying to understand, and you weren't necessarily getting answers. I could see how you felt attacked as people jumped into your thread with such high emotion.

Oh, also, New Cook, sorry I confused you with Holly in regards to the kids with AIDS.

I really appreciate those of you who saw through the craziness and took the time to learn some more about food allergies. Now, with head hanging low, :oops: I'll sign off.

Sorry, this post was from me, Ihate nuts. Not sure why it showed up as guest. By the way, I also now realize how dumb my user name sounds to you all.
ihatenuts

Postby okbye » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:21 pm

Boy did I stop reading this thread at the wrong time. I have, however, discovered what causes peanut allergies in children.

Having insane parents.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby flowerchick » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:48 pm

*covers eyes and laughes OUTLOUD!!!!!*

you.........are to funny.

GEFP Style Maven

"There is a flower, a little flower with a silver crest and golden eye...that welcomes every changing hour and weathers every sky."
flowerchick
Admiral Briner

Postby Itchyfoot » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:08 pm

okbye wrote:Boy did I stop reading this thread at the wrong time. I have, however, discovered what causes peanut allergies in children.

Having insane parents.

WHY would you say this?
My little sister and her spouse are pretty good parents and they are going through this, too. Not the airborne peanut allergy but tree-nuts, wheat, several other foods, and asthma to boot. My nephew had an asthma attack while I was there and it was very scary.

Initially, they discovered the nut allergy after having a pistachio caused his throat to swell shut causing an immediate trip to the ER. The school handles it well; they separate by classroom or table. But the big problem for them was other parents offering the boy cookies or snacks without asking. That might have killed him. He's older now and knows to "question authority" and NOT accept gifts that will hurt him.

But it is a very REAL problem.
Itchyfoot
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Mikemenn » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:25 pm

Question:
If you can't send PB&Js to can you send homemade cashew butter and jelly? Are the allergies the same? Is the risk the same?

Mikemenn
Mikemenn

Postby Butterbean » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:39 pm

Mikemenn wrote:Question:
If you can't send PB&Js to can you send homemade cashew butter and jelly? Are the allergies the same? Is the risk the same?

Mikemenn

Good question. I doubt there are substitutions, though, since peanuts are legumes, yet tree nuts cause problems. But since all of the "doctors" were one-time posters, we may not get a professional answer. One of the real moms could provide an answer. I would also wonder if soy products are harmful. Soy butter is pretty tasty.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:40 pm

Itchyfoot wrote:
okbye wrote:Boy did I stop reading this thread at the wrong time. I have, however, discovered what causes peanut allergies in children.

Having insane parents.

WHY would you say this?

I think it was pretty apparent from the troll replies.
[foghorn voice]It's a joke boy, a joke[/foghorn voice]
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby blackberry_mom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:28 am

Having insane parents.

Hello, I'm a newbie to this board. I quite like the show Good Eats, I didn't even know this board existed until I heard about it over at the peanut allergy board.

Maybe this comment was a joke, but I don't find it funny. I'm a peanut allergic adult. Actually, I ate peanuts right up until about 3 years ago. So even if someone plans to never have kids, and thinks that they will never deal with it, it doesn't matter. You never know when you may go from having no allergies to suddenly having something you've eaten all your life and not being able to breathe. It's no fun, trust me-and more common then you think. So, is being a peanut allergic adult make me a troll too? I hope not, because this looks like a great board.
blackberry_mom

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:38 am

blackberry_mom wrote:

Having insane parents.

Hello, I'm a newbie to this board. I quite like the show Good Eats, I didn't even know this board existed until I heard about it over at the peanut allergy board.

Maybe this comment was a joke, but I don't find it funny. I'm a peanut allergic adult. Actually, I ate peanuts right up until about 3 years ago. So even if someone plans to never have kids, and thinks that they will never deal with it, it doesn't matter. You never know when you may go from having no allergies to suddenly having something you've eaten all your life and not being able to breathe. It's no fun, trust me-and more common then you think. So, is being a peanut allergic adult make me a troll too? I hope not, because this looks like a great board.

And any day you may be in a car accident that puts you in the hospital for a year and leaves you permanently disabled, but that doesnt stop me from joking about it.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby AnnaMarie » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:49 am

Thanks for the answers about keeping food warm. Definitely information worth having.

I just love these questions. :D Hope I don't forget all the ones I want to answer.

First of all Georgia. There are some pa people in Georgia - and I doubt it's very easy for them to live there. Personally, I think I would move out. (Assuming there are as many peanut farms as I imagine there are - I would not be comfortable living there - but that's just me, others DO live there.)

There are a lot of suppositions about why there is such an increase in allergies - not just food, but all allergies. Pollution is one of them (all this garbage we breath, eat, drink is bound to harm some of us), also the fact that our immune systems don't have as much to do as they used to. We have shots to prevent so many illnesses that our immune system decides something innocent (like a peanut) is the enemy and it attacks - only since there is no real enemy there, it attacks us. There are other *guesses* as well. And I believe there is research going on, but I honestly have no hope of a cure in my life-time. This is my life - and I'm just going to enjoy as much of it as I can.

Grayson - you like a handful of peanuts at lunch? Well, then, enjoy them. And next time - have an extra handful for me OK - I really do miss them. :D (They are MY enemy - not yours.)

And soy, etc., is OK for some pa people but not all. I do occasionally eat soynut butter, but I don't like to eat it to often as I'm afraid I will develop a soy allergy. Some people are allergic to all legumes and they can't eat it.

Gotta run.
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby NoNutsForUs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:36 am

Hardy har har on the laughter my user name brought up - never really thought about it :lol:

Seriously though, I am sorry if I offended anyone with the anger in my original post. It is very frustrating for me to be a mother of a young child with a peanut allergy - the barriers and roadblocks I have hit are many and there have been few people to help break them down. The key - as someone said - is to educate, not alienate.

I do not think for one minute that those of us who has posted believe that we have it worse than anyone else - most of us believe we have been blessed with wonderful children who are otherwise healthy and happy. Living with a peanut allergy is not the end, it takes care and attention to detail and lots of pre-planning, but it can be done.

We are not asking society to ban all peanut products (although that would be nice :D ) nor are we asking other parents to take care of our kids - we are merely asking for some help in keeping them safe when they are young and naive. We cannot be there with them all day everyday, and we have no control over what happens to them in the halls at school, or at lunchtime - all we can do is pray that they will come home alive at night.

As parents, we all share in the fear that something will happen to our children (allergic or not) - but I think the parents of allergic children (any type of allergy) just have a stronger, more vivid, nagging and painful fear.

By my means are we trying to suggest that we have it worse than parents with children with cancer or other diseases - nothing could be further from the truth. If anything we feel more for those families because we know what it feels like to live in fear.

Again - truly sorry for upsetting anyone.

Now...back to the intent of this forum :)
NoNutsForUs

Postby cutie » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:18 pm

Y'all are too funny. Yeah. Sorry I jumped in before figuring out that onscreen personae here are often just that. "Just the facts, ma'am." Any hint of argument gets an argumentative and provocative response.

So now I know to come here to look for good food info as it relates to the taste of the food. And when someone talks about defending her right to eat the food to the state's highest court, I'll chuckle and realize she doesn't know me, or my kid, or the millions of other kids & adults who have to deal with this issue all the time. She's just expressing how much she likes a certain food.

And Stewie - you crack me up! I bet you're a big ol' teddy bear!

Happy eating!
cutie
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby stixx23 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:53 pm

cutie wrote:And Stewie - you crack me up! I bet you're a big ol' teddy bear!

I bet you'll lose that bet.
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

peanut allergy

Postby iIlovefood » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:29 pm

Well a lot has been said on this subject, so I'll keep it short. Three main points:

1. I believe protecting children from a possibly lethal exposure is the morally right thing to do.

2. We are talking about CHILDREN. They cannot always be expected to do what is best for them. As they get older, they will learn to deal with their allergy, but when they are children, we as a society have an obligation to protect them. We are not talking about banning all peanuts, but of protecting children in very specific settings

3. Individual rights are not more important that societal rights. That's why smoking is now being banned (not all people who are regularly exposed to smoke will get cancer; conversely all children with a peanut allergy will have a reaction when exposed to peanuts).

4. Compassion and empathy are two of the most important values you can teach your children. They will model your behaviour.
iIlovefood

oops

Postby ilovefood2 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:36 pm

Okay, my previous message was four points not three :D

One more thing. It's been my observation that many people don't develop true compassion until a sickness/illness/challenge strikes them or their family. After that you see the world in a different light. At one time or another we all have to depend on each other...

Just my thoughts
ilovefood2

Re: oops

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm

ilovefood2 wrote:Okay, my previous message was four points not three :D

One more thing. It's been my observation that many people don't develop true compassion until a sickness/illness/challenge strikes them or their family. After that you see the world in a different light. At one time or another we all have to depend on each other...

Just my thoughts

Thats funny, my major injury had the opposite effect. I have had to fight to maintain compassion. I think the main reason is because very, very few people can say they have been through anything nearly as bad as I have and lived. Even a severe peanut reaction. After my accident when someone would say that something terrible happened to them, they broke their leg and it was the worst thing that ever happened to anyone. I would just look at them like "you broke your leg, and thats all? Just your leg? And thats the worst thing that ever happened to you?" I felt sorry for myself I guess.
Oh well, what can you do? Bad things happen to people everyday. The biggest thing I have had to learn is that I am responsible for my own safety. The world doesnt know my physical limitations or that I'm blind on the left. My mom yells at people when we are out and they walk in front of me from the left. I think that is silly, they dont know that they are being rude to someone that cant see on the left, they think they are just being rude to a regular person. :wink: I have to assess situations ahead of time to see if there are potential dangers and take care of them myself. I have to be aware of where bathrooms are and how to get to them. I have to know the places that dont have handicapped stalls and not go to them. I have to check to see if a place has a lot of stairs before I go to it. It is not society's problem to anticipate my needs. If I were a child it would be up to my parents. Unless you put a sign on your child how do you expect society to protect them? You cant see a peanut allergy by looking at them just as you cant see most of my physical problems just by looking at me. I dont have kids. There is a reason for that, I dont want kids. I would never harm a child but I'm not going to go out of may way to watch your kids (unless it is my responsibility to do so). Altering the lives of 1000 children just so one kid doesnt have to eat lunch seperately is stupid. I also stand by the false security statement.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

peanuts

Postby ilovefood3 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:20 pm

I hear what you're saying okbye (I really do) but the bottom line is that parents aren't allowed to hang out with their kids at school. They HAVE to put their trust in other people, and their child and no child is responsible all the time, so why not create as safe an environment as possible? It's not like peanut butter is life sustaining water. 8) And again, this is only for children. I don't know of any peanut free corporations. Anyway, in my opinion it is a very minor thing to ask of other parents. BTW - peanut allergies effect between 1-3% of the population.

In case you're wondering why - I do not have a PA child. But years ago I was a camp counsellor at a peanut free camp. We used to get calls from parents saying they didn't care if it was peanut free, they wanted to send PBJ sandwiches. Meanwhile, when the situation was explained to the 6 year old children, none of them want to eat PB in order to protect their friends.

Kinda of a sad commentary on our "not my problem" society if you ask me.
ilovefood3

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:44 pm

But things like that camp are what I mean about false security. Did you guys check the lunches? Whats to stop one of those parents from sending a peanut something anyway. People can be sickos and I can see someone doing it just do enforce their machoness. I have no problem with peanut free private places, and if you dont want a peanut free kid go to a different camp. Arguing with a private institution over their policies is just pigheaded. A public school is different though. If it were my child (and I'm glad it's not) I wouldnt trust them to make sure that many children didnt bring peanut products to school. I would want my kid away from the lunchroom. Like someone said their kid ate with some friends in the classroom. Whats wrong with that? Much easier to control the situation and the kid isnt segregated. That would be the only way I felt safe.
In reading some of the posted cases that ended badly it seems like there was a lot of shirking of personal responsibility. Like the one kids sent to the nurse who died. Where was their allergy bracelet? Wasnt the school notified of their peanut allergy? Even a fairly young child can tell an adult he is allergic to something when they are sick, they just need to be trained to do so.
I guess basically the point is if you put the responsibility for your childs safety in someone elses hands you are accepting the chance that they may not do a good job. I have been hurt numerous times (especially by nurses when I was still in the hospital) by relying on someone elses expertise. I had to learn to make sure I had control of my situation. It was a hard lesson but you have to learn that despite all their good intentions not everyone cares as much about you as you do or is as knowledgable of your needs.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby AnnaMarie » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:15 pm

okbye wrote: Where was their allergy bracelet? Wasnt the school notified of their peanut allergy? Even a fairly young child can tell an adult he is allergic to something when they are sick, they just need to be trained to do so.

I realize food allergies is something you don't have personal knowledge of. I wear an allergy bracelet. But when I had my absolute worst anaphylactic reaction I was staggering through a mall and people thought I was stoned on drugs. They all just turned away. I didn't look like I was having a reaction.

Fortunately, my husband found me and even he didn't immediately realize it was an allergic reaction, but he knows I don't do drugs and I don't drink. He took me to the hospital. I was given benedryl, a steroid, and epinephrine (that's what is in the epi-pen). I was fading in and out of consciousness AFTER getting the epinephrine. The nurse asked the doctor if she should prep me for a trach. and the doctor said no (my lungs were swollen so there was no place for the air to go).

I am NOT telling you this to get your pity. I really don't need any of it. I'm telling you so that you realize that epinephrine doesn't always work - and kids and adults don't always realize it's a reaction they are suffering from - and when someone dies from an allergic reaction it usually is NOT their fault and it usually is NOT the fault of their parents.

I am fully aware of my allergies. I take all necessary precautions. But, I do have to eat and drink. I die if I don't do that. I once ordered an iced tea. Just a simple cold drink. Suddenly I saw a sesame seed float up to the top of the glass. One silly little sesame seed - and I could have died from drinking it.

Sometimes I do have to put some trust in other people. I phone manufacturers regularly and ask if their products run on lines with my allergens. I have to trust them to be honest. I have to trust them to be careful.

Reactions can come on slowly (like mine did) or they can be instant. Medicine gives us a chance - but it doesn't always work fast enough.

And also, many children had reactions when they were under two years old and have no memory of it. No parent and no doctor can predict what the first signs of a reaction will be in anyone. How can a three or four or even nine year old with no memory of a reaction, how can they be expected to know that hives or itching or redness or heat or swollen tongue or tightness in the chest or diarreah might be an allergic reaction? (mommy what does tightness in the chest feel like????????)

And saying they just need to be trained to tell - (if it were a given that they would know) well, that's what these kids are being trained to do. They are being trained to keep themselves safe - and to get help if they need it. But, it's a long process. Just like teaching a child to walk to school. My son knows the way to school - but I wouldn't let him walk alone. He knows to look both ways before you cross the street, but he's not ready to take on that responsibility himself. He knows, but children don't always pay close attention to their surroundings.

Now, about the false sense of security. If a pa parent believed banning a food allergen made the place (i.e. school) safe for their child - I agree that is a false sense of security. But, what these parents are going for is *safer then it is right now*. At my son's school there is a peanut ban, but the children with pa do not just go and eat anything that someone brings in to school. They eat what they bring from home - because other people are not as careful and an innocent mistake could cost them their lives.

I have a question for you okbye. If you have no children, and don't plan to have any, why do you care if schools are peanut free?
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner

PreviousNext

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget