[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Lunch Challenge

Lunch Challenge

The cream of the crop.

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:02 pm

AnnaMarie wrote:I have a question for you okbye. If you have no children, and don't plan to have any, why do you care if schools are peanut free?


I dont. I just think it's a very small and not very effective precaution to have to disrupt that many lives. If a kid eating peanut butter for breakfast can cause a reaction in another child why bother with lunch? Shoot, I had peanut butter for lunch today. What if I ran into an allergic child at the store this afternoon? Peanuts are everywhere, as I'm sure you are well aware. Telling people not to send it for their kids lunches isnt going to make a whole lot of difference.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
User avatar
okbye
Crazy Aunt
 
Posts: 14521
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: phoenix, az

Postby blackberry_mom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm

"And any day you may be in a car accident that puts you in the hospital for a year and leaves you permanently disabled, but that doesnt stop me from joking about it."

Well, I guess you have your right to your opinion.

However-my 2 year old nephew WAS hit by a car, WAS in a hospital for over a year, and IS permenantly disabled. If you think that's funny, fine. I just hope you never have to sit by the bedside of a child dying in a coma, have doctors tell you to think about organ donation, and then have someone joke about it. He HAS been through as much as you, I'm sure, and lived.

It's only funny until it happens to you. And from reading your posts, you have had something like that happen to you...so I would think that you would have a little more compassion. I can see your points on the PA thing, but this comment was a bit much. Just because someone's "pain" isn't to the same level as yours doesn't mean that they don't deserve some compassion. As far as I'm concerned, it's not funny either.
Last edited by blackberry_mom on Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blackberry_mom
 

Postby blackberry_mom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:39 pm

You will note that I edited my post once I saw that.
blackberry_mom
 

Postby Mikemenn » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:39 pm

I've never seen so many new folks over here for the PA thing. What's
going on? (think Joe Schmo). Where are the coming from? Why are they
here? AAAAAAAAAAaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Mikemenn
Mikemenn
 

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:46 pm

Lee wrote:
blackberry_mom wrote:It's only funny until it happens to you.


Not that she needs anyone to speak for her, but it did happen to her. It's not a real good idea to jump to conclusions, you know.....


Thanks Lee. BTW, I was in a coma for 2 months. Talk to my mom about what it felt like for the doctor to tell her she should "pull the plug" cuz if I did live I would be vegetized, and the bill was over 400k at that time. He actually said that to her like it was a money thing. Well. I lived, I'm not a vegetable, (although there are those who would argue that) and the bill ended up to be well over a mil. And it will continue to grow for the rest of my life. We all joke about it cuz thats the only way to not go crazy. If you take your self or your predicaments so seriously they will consume you. When my eye fell out in a restraunt and landed in my moms soup we nearly died laughing. We had a field day over my last rectal surgery. (Who the heck would choose to be a butt doctor?) That seems to be a pretty uniform thing with you new peanut guys. Lighten up a little bit.

The fact that bad things happen isnt funny. You need to find the humor in life or it gets to really be a bummer.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
User avatar
okbye
Crazy Aunt
 
Posts: 14521
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: phoenix, az

Postby blackberry_mom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:47 pm

I came because I like the show Good Eats, and I saw that there was a forum for it. I just happen to be PA too.

And really, I'm not going to debate the PA thing. That's been done. I just couldn't let the comment about laughing about being in a car accident and winding up with a permenant disability slide. I'm sorry, but almost losing a two year old was not a laughing matter.

Maybe this isn't such a great board after all.
blackberry_mom
 

Postby AnnaMarie » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:53 pm

Thanks for answering.

I'm not actually a strong supporter of peanut bans. That doesn't mean I oppose them - I don't oppose them. I just don't understand how anyone can honestly say it's a major problem to skip peanuts for one meal, five days a week.

*************

Now, I have another peanut based question.

What are boiled peanuts like? I really did love peanuts (in my other life), especially by the bag full. I never heard of boiled peanuts until after developing my allergies. They don't really sound appealing. Boiling makes things soft. Do people eat soft, mushy peanuts? Do they taste different?

I keep switching between feeling revolted that anyone would even think to boil a peanut, and jealous that I'll never get to try one. <stamping foot childishly>
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

Postby blackberry_mom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:57 pm

Okay, want to hear about my nephew then?

He ran across a street away from his Mom-hit by a car going 50 km/hr. His head took the full impact, and he flew 40 feet. Was also in a coma for 2 months. The doctors preformed two surgeries to remove part of his skull because the swelling was crushing his brain stem. He almost died numerous times in the ICU. He had severe brain damage to his cerebellum. We were told that if he lived, he would be deaf, blind, use a ventilator, in a wheelchair, and like you said, severely physically and mentally handicapped. We were told he likely would not live.

He's now 6, but it's taken the last four years for him to get back his speech, mobility, etc. He spent the first year after the accident fighting to learn how to walk, eat, talk, etc all over again. Here in Canada we don't have the medical system you do, so fortunately medicare and the insurance company paid for all of it. I don't envy you there. I am happy to report that you'd never know he was in an accident of any kind, with the exception of his weak fine motor skills.

I understand what you mean about how you have to see the lighter side, or you'll go crazy. We do as well. (by the way, the glass eye thing IS hilarious-I can just imagine). Don't assume that just because I'm from PA.com that I'm a troll and treat me accordingly. I just didn't find your comment about joking about it funny-I mean, if my sister did, that's different. A total stranger telling me that they think my nephew almost dying is funny...well, not so much. Yes, you can find the lighter side of those situations. But it doesn't change the fact that sitting in that ICU was one of the worst things our whole family has ever been through. Certainly not something I want to repeat.
blackberry_mom
 

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:12 pm

I dont recall ever saying that your nephew getting hit by a car was funny. But now maybe you can see why everyone was so upset about a bunch of strangers coming to our board and stirring up so much trouble.

I've been the exact same place he was, but it is easier for a child to recover. The first time I stood after the accident was 6 months later. They had to pull me up and the 10 seconds they made me stand there were complete and total agony. It was over 5 years before I could get a part time job. It has been nearly 10 years now. You cant tell by looking at me either, except for a limp. All my problems are internal and the scars (except for the trach) are in clothed places. I was working at the time so luckily workmans comp covered everything. If I hadnt been I dont know what would have happened. I definately envy your medical system.

I also dont recall ever eating boiled peanuts. I agree it sounds bad. :x
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
User avatar
okbye
Crazy Aunt
 
Posts: 14521
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: phoenix, az

Postby Nidia » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:40 pm

Lee wrote:But to be perfectly honest we didn't invite any of you people over here to harange us. ... I was thinking today about it.... it sorta reminds me of a bunch of carnivores getting together in the living room for a nice carnivore discussion when, lo and behold, a whole flock of PETA members break into their house and start harassing them.


That's funny, Lee, I was thinking similar thoughts today. I feel like someone broke into my home and started telling me how I should think and feel about their issue.

I've read some good information, and seen some links to get more info if I wanted to. Now I just wish the Peanut Inquisition was over.
@>--,--'----Nidia
User avatar
Nidia
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:03 pm
Location: Daytona Beach, FL

Postby islander » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:18 am

AnnaMarie wrote:Now, I have another peanut based question.

What are boiled peanuts like? I really did love peanuts (in my other life), especially by the bag full. I never heard of boiled peanuts until after developing my allergies. They don't really sound appealing. Boiling makes things soft. Do people eat soft, mushy peanuts? Do they taste different?

I keep switching between feeling revolted that anyone would even think to boil a peanut, and jealous that I'll never get to try one. <stamping foot childishly>


How do I explain them.....

Yes, they're mushy, and wonderful. I grew up on them (as I'm sure a lot of south Georgians do). My mom being from Milwaukee, never ate one in my recollection, but I can remember my dad having tons of them...

They don't taste like roasted peanuts or peanut butter to me at all... they have a unique taste, and the salt affects it as well... The closest thing I can think of is sometimes when you get a potato that you haven't quite cooked all the way through, and has that "green" taste to it? That's about what they taste like.

Sometimes they can be cooked so thoroughly that you don't even need to shell them... just eat the whole thing. But usually, you shell them after they've been cooked and pop the 2 or 3 (or 4 if you're lucky!) peanuts in your mouth.

I have a very good friend who I finally convinced to try one... she spit it out and said all she could think of was a cockroach while she was eating it... to each his own... I love boiled peanuts, myself, but I really think you either love em or you hate em.... there's not much room in between.
islander
Commander Briner
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:12 pm

Postby Mikemenn » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:24 am

blackberry_mom wrote:... Maybe this isn't such a great board after all.

Maybe it's not. We never claimed to be. You get out of it what you put into it.

But I like what Lee said. Thanks.

Mikemenn
Mikemenn
 

Postby stixx23 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:44 am

AnnaMarie wrote: I have a question for you okbye. If you have no children, and don't plan to have any, why do you care if schools are peanut free?

as another person who is childless by choice and intends to stay that way, I can answer that for me, it's because I like to have a say in the way my tax dollars are spent. Just because I don't have a child in the school system means they get my money with no complaints? I don't think so.

I still haven't seen a logical, scientifically-based argument for the following questions:

1. It has been said 'it only affects five meals a week.' But I argue that it affects at least ten meals a week (out of 21 total meals) because children can't have peanuts for breakfast and come to school without someone near death.

2. If washing of hands and brushing of teeth is effective, then why wouldn't segregation of the PA child (with a few friends whose parents know not to send PBJ's if they wish) combined with supervised mandatory hand-washing and teeth-brushing be just as, if not more, effective than banning PBJ's? As a taxpayer I would strongly support the hand-washing and brushing of teeth as it not only makes for a better environment for the PA child, but also cuts down on sick days (which determines how much money a school gets) and tooth decay (which would make for lower insurance premiums, theoretically).

3. How do you explain to a child like I was who hated meat sandwiches as a child and ate PBJ's almost every day for 13 years of school that I have to gag something down (my mom can tell you of a certain 'ham sandwich incident' in a car trip to Boston) because little Timmy or Susie won't go eat in the classroom with a couple friends?
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
User avatar
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner
 
Posts: 6580
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: Norman, OK

Postby sunflowers » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:17 am

Mikemenn you asked a good question earlier. I have never heard of cashew butter. Well in our case my ds is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. So he could not be around cashew butter. But for someone who is just pa I dont know. Thats a good question.

AM wow never had a boiled peanut.. I have not had them in years bc of ds but they are yummy. I ate them by the potful as a child.
sunflowers
 

Postby AnnaMarie » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:49 am

Lee wrote:Well, I'm going to defend our board even though I feel I shouldn't have to. We are a great board. Maybe we aren't as focused on one issue as you are used to over at the PA board. Sorry about that.


No need to apologize Lee. I think people here are pretty open minded to discussion. Obviously we don't all agree on everything - but that's what life is about, right?

Lee wrote: But to be perfectly honest we didn't invite any of you people over here to harange us.


Well, I wasn't invited :oops: but I'm enjoying this coffee anyway. :D

Lee wrote: So then, as stixx described, the Peanut Inquisition started.


Ummm! Excuse me, but I'm not part of the Peanut Inquisition. I'm part of the Peanut Police. lol (sunflower I know you're laughing at me for saying that ;) )
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

Postby AnnaMarie » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:25 am

stixx23 wrote:1. It has been said 'it only affects five meals a week.' But I argue that it affects at least ten meals a week (out of 21 total meals) because children can't have peanuts for breakfast and come to school without someone near death.

2. If washing of hands and brushing of teeth is effective, then why wouldn't segregation of the PA child (with a few friends whose parents know not to send PBJ's if they wish) combined with supervised mandatory hand-washing and teeth-brushing be just as, if not more, effective than banning PBJ's? As a taxpayer I would strongly support the hand-washing and brushing of teeth as it not only makes for a better environment for the PA child, but also cuts down on sick days (which determines how much money a school gets) and tooth decay (which would make for lower insurance premiums, theoretically).

3. How do you explain to a child like I was who hated meat sandwiches as a child and ate PBJ's almost every day for 13 years of school that I have to gag something down (my mom can tell you of a certain 'ham sandwich incident' in a car trip to Boston) because little Timmy or Susie won't go eat in the classroom with a couple friends?


1. I'd like to argue this point with you. But, honestly, some parents do want to stop kids from eating pb for breakfast as well. So, I'm going to let this one go.

2. I agree as a tax payer you have the right (or at least should have the right) to some discussion on how education dollars are spent. However, I worked in a lunch room program for years - the cleaning left a lot to be desired. :roll: Often a schools answer to the hand-washing is to bring a bucket of soapy water in to the lunch room and everyone dips their hands in it - disgusting in my opinion - and dangerous to people with other allergies, also just the germs going in that water - imagine being the 100th person washing their hands in it - gross.

3. My son lived on pb sandwiches. I simply explained that even though pb is good and good for you - it would make mommy really really sick. There are lots of choices other then meat. cheese, veggies, cold pizza. Picky eater vs. anaphylactic allergy.

Also IMO this stuff is only required in younger grades. Honestly, by high school I think a child is much better prepared to keep themselves safe.

And I do have to say this had me laughing:

I still haven't seen a logical, scientifically-based argument for the following questions

When I first developed my allergy to sesame seeds an allergist told me it wasn't possible as sesame seeds are hypo-allergenic. I was told by an allergist that the reason I wasn't getting *better* was because of my bad attitude. When it comes to allergies, I've learned to accept that nothing is logical or scientifically-based. It's just life or death. ;)

btw, my bad attitude. That's kind of funny. I went in to his office asking for some help figuring out what food runs with sesame seeds (you know trace amounts on packaging - it wasn't written there then). I said I had to either learn how to live with these allergies or I was going to die from them. He responded "How do you expect to get better with a bad attitude like that". ROFL I guess he personally has a cure for allergies or something - but he's not willing to share it.

**********

Anyway, Stixx23, thanks for answering my question.

I do understand jokes and sarcasm, and I usually don't get offended by them. But, getting some serious answers is good too. Food for thought, if nothing else.

*************

Oh Ya! I really do have to add this. What you suggested - that is exactly what some parents request and feel is needed for their food allergic child. And for some of them it works. Often, there is a *peanut-free* table set up in the lunch room, so the child isn't completely segregated - just a little off to the side, usually with a few friends. Yet, some parents think that's to much to ask. (Why should little Timmy be squished at a crowded table when that pa kid has a whole big table just for him and his friends. It's not fair, waa waa waa.)

Now, I'm supposed to be doing some work. I'm going to hunt up a few recipes for when I return. :D
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

Well, this has been interesting...

Postby darenberg » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:24 pm

I came back to defend my honor, and to offer an olive branch...First of all, let me offer a truce on the PA thing. I have been lebelled as a part of the peanut inquisition, and some have even suggested that I am one of several identities that one person used to bombard you all with PA propaganda.

I don't know how to identify myself to the poster(s) who has repeatedly said "...and they didn't even identify themselves", but if verification is important, here is a try (complete with a picture of my beautiful, but nut-allergic son)

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~darenber

or here...

http://www.med.umich.edu/intmed/pulmonary/faculty/index.html

I just have a couple points to make. I have been berated by a couple of folks for what I posted here. I came here becasue a post on the nut allergy disscussion board (which I read about once a week) had a link to your discussion. Some posters had asked genuine questions about nut allergies, and my original post was only intentded to give a flavor of what it was like to live with this as a parent.

I did not accuse anybody of insensitivity, or murderous behavior. Nor have I said that nut allergies are mankinds most pressing problem. I just shared my own perspective. I stated clearly that I didn't think a nut free school was a reasonable goal.

If I did so in a way that was preachy or offensive, then please accept my apology.

Many here have had thoughtful comments and insightful debates on this issue, but some posts have been a little mean-spirited, and I suspect that the annonymity of the internet tends to promote that sort of exchange. I have nothing to hide, and have tried to be civil in my contributions to his board, and to others where I occasionally post. Please correct me if I have not.

I am a big fan of the Good Eats show, and my wife & I enjoy Alton Brown's books. Clearly there is a culture in every internet dioscussion board's community, and if I have disturbed the equilibrium here, I apologize. I actually waste most of my time on a board dedicated to my alma mater's basketball team, not on the nut allergy board, but every board has its lurkers and "outsiders" that show up.

For the poster who kept refering to me as "DOCTOR" :roll: , yes, in fact I have en excellent recipe for barbeque sauce. I'd be glad to share it with you if I thought you were sincere. But you can call me Doug.
darenberg
 

Postby okbye » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:42 pm

AnnaMarie wrote:

btw, my bad attitude. That's kind of funny. I went in to his office asking for some help figuring out what food runs with sesame seeds (you know trace amounts on packaging - it wasn't written there then). I said I had to either learn how to live with these allergies or I was going to die from them. He responded "How do you expect to get better with a bad attitude like that". ROFL I guess he personally has a cure for allergies or something - but he's not willing to share it.


Nothing makes you feel more helpless than running into a bad doctor. I hope you went to a different one. This is my favorite point to make - Just cuz someone made it through medical school it doesnt mean they are a good doctor! Question your doctors advice and if they wont answer questions find a different one. Doctors are not gods, they are humans doing a job and not all of them should have that job. I am a little bitter cuz I learned that the hard way. It wasnt the accident that almost killed me, it was a crappy doctor. A week after the accident I went into septic shock from internal injuries that they ignored in the hospital (Yes, I won the lawsuit-that was a whole nuther level of hell). I dont take anything a doc says til I research it for myself.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
User avatar
okbye
Crazy Aunt
 
Posts: 14521
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: phoenix, az

Postby AnnaMarie » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:07 pm

Excellent advice okbye.

I did actually go to a few allergists. Now, I'm quite happy just seeing my gp. He is comfortable treating me, and he prescribes the medicines I need. He at least was willing to talk - to help me figure out where I was constantly getting in contact with my allergens. He did help. :)

He also was much more open minded. One of the problems was that I was having reactions when my husband ate peanuts or sesame seeds. At that time there was no research in that area, and the allergists wouldn't even consider the possibility. When he stopped eating peanuts and stopped eating chinese food - I stopped having middle of the night reactions to nothing. (What goes in, must come out. The protein was coming out in his sweat.)

Now, when hubby goes away on business he has an affair. With a bag of mixed nuts. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear all you went through, and I hope most is not ongoing/forever problems, although I understand some are.

Thanks for the discussions. We may not agree - and maybe we never will, but I think I have a bit more of an understanding of your point of view. I hope one day you might be able to understand mine a bit more - but if not, I can live with that too.
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

Just wanted to comment

Postby ElleMo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:07 am

Hello:

The topic has been dead for a while so perhaps it is a bad idea for me to post now. But well, I am going to anyway. 8)

I too was guided here by the so-called 'peanut inquisition' & hope you don't mind if I stay a while. I've browsed through some of the recipes & will probably try a few that I have seen today.

I've actually been on a mission for more recipes of easy things to make as my DD (who has PA) is a picky three year old. So I do thank the inquisition for leading me here. ;-) Lately, I have wished I could just feed her a simple PBJ sandwich once in a while. Tonight I was late for work and had to run out of the house with just a buttered roll -- two years ago I would have put some PB on the roll.

The day-to-day stress of a little one with a life-threaten allergy can be a huge burdern & I think people tend to go a little overboard sometimes with their reactions.

For the record, I don't believe in peanut bans since I don't think they would work -- and there are seven other common food allergens, what would you do if you had several children in the same school with allergies to peanuts, milk, eggs, etc.? I am more concerned in passing legislation regarding training of teachers & nurses; allowing older children to carry their own medications with them; and, for younger child, have the teacher or some other support staff who is near the child responsible for the medication rather than have it locked up in office somewhere.

Any-hoo, my mission now is to find some healthy recipes that a 3-year-old would like. Right now her diet consists of dairy, pasta, french fries, & whatever sweet stuff is around (usually fruit, but she is even picky about what fruit she will eat.) Today she ate cheese, cheerios, & grapes. She likes banana bread & I am tempted to try an apple bread/zuchhini bread recipe that I saw posted recently. If anyone would care to direct to any particular recipes/topic conversations I would greatly appreciate it! And at some point I hope to even look for recipes that my hubby & I could enjoy!

So perhaps the inquisition has not been a total bad influence. ;-) :wink:

Ellen

(PS -- Oh, & I would love to know where you all got your avatars from. I am searching for the 'perfect' one for me.)
ElleMo
 

Re: Just wanted to comment

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:08 am

ElleMo wrote:(PS -- Oh, & I would love to know where you all got your avatars from. I am searching for the 'perfect' one for me.)


hee hee. I got mine from one of the guys at this site. It was originally a joke about *hot* topics on the board, but I asked if I could use it.
Guest
 

Postby AnnaMarie » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:10 am

OK - blew that one. The above post about avatars by *guest* was by me.

I forgot to sign in. :oops:
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

avatar

Postby ElleMo » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:57 am

Ok, I get the Peanut butter & the gun, but why an apple? :?: [/img]
ElleMo
 

Re: avatar

Postby lunanoir » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:28 am

ElleMo wrote:Ok, I get the Peanut butter & the gun, but why an apple? :?:


To prop up the gun, silly.

- jen
User avatar
lunanoir
Admiral Briner
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:32 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Postby AnnaMarie » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:38 am

Yup, the apple is to hold the gun.

There's also a swordfish in the background. I have no idea what is *hot* about a swordfish. But, I do like swords. :wink: so it still works for me.
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

Postby LemonZest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:34 am

Holy Cheese.

I read the whole thread, and I've got to say...

No, I don't. I'll walk away now.

<blink> headshake <blink> Parents can get CRAZY.
Kerry
User avatar
LemonZest
Captain Briner
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:05 pm
Location: Kansas City/Boston

Postby mojopox » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:02 pm

LemonZest wrote:Holy Cheese.

I read the whole thread, and I've got to say...

No, I don't. I'll walk away now.

<blink> headshake <blink> Parents can get CRAZY.


LOL looks like we are the late commers lemonzest. i was just pointed this way today. i read the thread when it first started and thought all the good suggestions for lunch items were already suggested so never clicked on it again.


i just have one question if there are still any people leftover from the PA board still around that might be checking in on this thread.

when i was a kid i either ate in the cafeteria or was supplied by my dear mom with a lunch in my marvel comics lunch pale. in my lunch pale was usually either hot soup in a thermos, some crackers and a nutter butter bar, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bag of chips and a nutter butter bar. on those days when i was lucky enough i might even get some spaghetti O's in the thermos. now hot soup and spaghetti O's are not as easy and practical a thing to supply your kid with as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is made the day before.

my question is what exactly are busy parents suppossed to supply there kids with for lunch if peanut butter is not available? i can think of a few things but nothing is as easy, cheap and realistic as peanut butter. lunch meat is an option but that would mean exposing my own kid to a potential food born illness if the lunch is not kept cold. it's also more expensive not to mention what if you are raising your kid as a vegetarian. (which i would never do, im just asking what if)

im not asking this to start an argument. im asking this because this thread made me curious. im not against making a school a peanut free environment i would have no problem supplying my kid with peanut free food for school if i knew he had a classmate that would be harmed by it. raising kids is a community thing. whether we like it or not parents do need the help of the neighborhood to keep an eye on there kids whether it be from eating the wrong foods when we are not there or to keep strangers from kidnapping them while playing with a friend down the street. parents cant be there 24/7 thats unrealistic.

so anyway about my question. what would a parent who's kid goes to a peanut free school pack in there kids lunch anyway?--dave
User avatar
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby mojopox » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:35 pm

Lee wrote:
mojopox wrote:so anyway about my question. what would a parent who's kid goes to a peanut free school pack in there kids lunch anyway?--dave


I'll throw out an alternative, Dave. Pimento cheese. That's what my mom always made for me. I don't do peanut butter sandwiches, though I do love me some peanut butter.

Pimento cheese.... it's what I had for lunch today! Really.


oh i forgot about pimento cheese. i had that alot as a kid too. cant stand the stuff now but everynow and then i get a taste for it.
User avatar
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:42 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby AnnaMarie » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:51 pm

Hi mojopox, I'm still hanging around.

Your mom made your pb&j the night before? Didn't it get soggy? gross.

Anyway, I have a peanut allergy, my son does not. However, due to several other students, his school bans all peanuts and peanut butter. It's a school of about 350 students, and it really doesn't seem to be a big deal. (Obviously, it's not for me. :roll: )

Wait a sec.....didn't you have a question? Oh ya! What to send instead of pb.....

Cheese in it's many forms is an easy alternative. There is also the choice of cold salads (potato, macaroni, stuff like that). And there are pb alternatives - soynut butter and peabutter and pumpkin seed butter. I tried the pumpkin seed butter and I liked it. It didn't mix well with molasses though. (I never did like jam - always molasses.) Anyway, I gave a spoonful to one of my older kids (he used to keep a jar of pb at a friends house, lol, he loves the stuff) and he did not like pumpkin seed butter. Soynut butter tastes better, has a better texture (closer to the real thing). I have not tried the peabutter yet, but I've heard it's even better.

These things are more for people with adult onset pa (like me) or family of pa kids - or classmates. It can be extremely confusing for a child with pa who can't tell the difference between peanutbutter and soynut butter.

However, these alternatives are not as cheap. (I'm craving some peanutbutter cookies - and I really can't justify the cost of making them with the alternatives, and they might or might not turn out.)

My son's school also offers hot lunches once a week. I'm not sure how expensive it is, my son is only going in to grade one, so I guess I'll be getting all the paper work in September (spend spend spend...)

I'm kind of on the fence about peanut bans anyway. I definitely feel they are doable - but I don't always think they are necessary.

Now, a nutter butter bar is a chocolate bar with either peanuts or pb? (I never heard of them until recently, they may not be available in Canada) Well, there are lots of candy bars without nuts. And, actually, there are even some without chocolate. :wink:

***********

There's something else I've been wanting to say and I didn't know where to say it - so here's probably the best place.

Thanks to whoever decided to move this thread to this forum. I honestly think there is a lot of really good information in it regarding allergies. And also regarding lunches. :) I hope none of you (who don't already) ever need to know this information on a personal level.
User avatar
AnnaMarie
Chief Petty Officer Briner
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Canada

Postby okbye » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:02 pm

Nutter Butters are pb sandwich cookies. I might take up that challenge of non-peanut peanut butter cookies. Where does one get soynut butter? It shouldnt be too hard to come up with something edible. I assume cashew butter and hazelnut meal are ok?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
User avatar
okbye
Crazy Aunt
 
Posts: 14521
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: phoenix, az

PreviousNext

Return to Posts We Don't Want To Forget

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest