[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Please Rate these Vodka's

Please Rate these Vodka's

Open forum to be used for all liquid comestibles/drinks. Bring us your favorite cocktails, beers, cokes (whatever), waters, or even broths.

Please Rate these Vodka's

Postby JJ » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:34 pm

If I wanted to have one that could be drunk straight up or in mixed drinks, which is best? I know 3 Olive around me is the cheapest.

Grey Goose

Belvedere

3 Olive

Thanks.
JJ
Captain Briner

Postby gwilson » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:55 am

To my tastes, Belvedere is better than Grey Goose. Althought in almost every tasting, Grey Goose gets ranked either. Both are fine for drinking on the rocks. I think in a cocktail, you'd lose the little character that vodka has. But a highball (one liquor with one mixer - like a vodka tonic), would be okay. If you're thinking of mixing it with something stronger, like a Bloody Mary or Screwdriver (though technically a highball), I would buy something much cheaper.

Regardless of all of that, I would put 3 Olives below both of them. Although it would be fine in a cocktail, I might opt for something a bit cheaper than that even. I've never bought it in the store, so I don't know what it costs.

-Greg
gwilson
Captain Briner

Postby Mister Myxlplyx » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Buying an expensive vodka is alot like paying for a pricey hooker. You don't get much better quality, but afterward you think you've got more class...

It's pretty much odorless and tasteless. As long as it doens't have methanol in it, why worry about price.
Mister Myxlplyx

Postby Unknown Foodie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:37 pm

If you keep 'em in the freezer, and use 'em with mixers, it really doesn't make any difference. However, if you do shots of each in a side by side taste test, you will notice a difference.
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Mister Myxlplyx » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Unknown Foodie wrote:However, if you do shots of each in a side by side taste test, you will notice a difference.

If you do shots of vodka side by side you will be accused of being an alcoholic...
Mister Myxlplyx

Re: Please Rate these Vodka's

Postby Kat » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:07 pm

JJ wrote:If I wanted to have one that could be drunk straight up or in mixed drinks, which is best? I know 3 Olive around me is the cheapest.

Grey Goose

Belvedere

3 Olive

Thanks.

Belvedere is the absolute greatest vodka, ever, hands down, without a contest.

End Transmission.
Kat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Grey Goose. Best damn vodka on the market.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Badmojo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 am

Grey Goose is nothing but marketing. Please check out this article; it is a long - but fascinating read. I'm not saying it's bad vodka - it's just...read the article....

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfinance/biz/features/10816/

As you lean back in your golf cart, watching another perfect chip shot bounce up onto the green, you ponder the fact that the premium vodka right now (in 1996) is a brand called Absolut. When it was first introduced, Absolut’s high price was considered outrageous. But it’s had great success (with its iconic, artsy ad campaign), and it now sells for the steep, steep price of about $17 a bottle.

So, to steal away Absolut’s market share, your unborn new vodka should undercut this price, correct?...Why don’t I price my vodka extravagantly higher than Absolut, at wildly more profitable margins . . . and steal Absolut’s market share that way? This was the great insight of Sidney Frank (and not only him: The makers of Ketel One vodka had the same basic idea). Frank could see that there was a product missing from the shelves. Here were all these vodkas, in the $15-to-$17 range, vying to be the premium brand (with Absolut mostly winning). Frank just sidestepped the fray altogether and charged an unheard-of $30 a bottle. The markup amount was pure profit.

Genius!

For my money (that I'm too fond of to pay for Grey Goose's profit margins) I really love Luksusowa or Monopolowa. Both are really excellent potato vodkas, and won't break the bank.

Then for something completely different, there's a guy in Texas that makes a very unique vodka in an old fashioned pot still - Tito's.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/sept2005_titos_vodka.htm

It's one many awards, and is fairly inexpensive. I personally don't care for it, but a lot of my friends do. I'm pretty sure I read that it's made from corn, but I may be wrong on that point.
Badmojo
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby LadyJ » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 am

I prefer Grey Goose. It has a slightly sweet aftertaste that I haven't found with any other vodka.
LadyJ
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby zoomzoom » Wed May 28, 2008 2:57 am

I prefer McCormacks.

The plastic bottle gives it the right aroma, and you can appreciate that sight touch of formaldehyde.
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid.
zoomzoom
Official Board Scrat

Postby General Disarray » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Just came across this thread. My two cents: Shakers is the best vodka, hands down. No question. For sure. Grey Goose is good. Shakers is great.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." - Thomas Jefferson
General Disarray
Ensign Briner

Re:

Postby carla » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Unknown Foodie wrote:If you keep 'em in the freezer, and use 'em with mixers, it really doesn't make any difference. However, if you do shots of each in a side by side taste test, you will notice a difference.

But not after the 2nd, 3rd or 6th shot....
I used to argue with my local bar owner about Jack vs. Jim Beam. 3 shots in? Who knows. Who cares.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Charlene » Fri May 14, 2010 11:40 pm

I prefer Ciroc. It's the smoothest I have tried, and made from grapes.

You can pick it up for $24 at BJ's wholesale.

C
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to The Good Drinks Room