[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Bordeaux?

Bordeaux?

Open forum to be used for all liquid comestibles/drinks. Bring us your favorite cocktails, beers, cokes (whatever), waters, or even broths.

Bordeaux?

Postby todd » Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Whisk, or anyone else, any good deals on Bordeaux?
I thought with the weak dollar and all, there may be some great buys.
$25-30?
Thanks, Todd.
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby James Norton » Wed May 28, 2008 3:24 am

With the weak dollar, in fact Bordeaux prices are going up. 2005 is being toted as a great vintage, and while the wines are still young they are showing great potential.

Good vintage + Crap Dollar = Higher European wine prices

Some of the petite chateau Bordeaux's are some of the best values on the market for wine. My favorite right now is Chateau Lyonatt. What I recomend is finding a local wine shop that does tastings. Find a few wines you like, then find out who imports them. Then buy other properties from that importer. There are a ton of Bordeaux producers, and the importers (well...at least the good ones) find out great wines.

I like the wines that Patrick Will of ExCellars represents. He doesn't sell the HUGE names (Rothschiled..et al) but all those wines are horrifically overpriced anyways.

James,
Drinking Tempranillo right now
James Norton
Commander Briner

Postby zoomzoom » Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 am

With the dollar being so weak, stick to the old faithfuls.

I would recommend a nice Mogan David 20/20 or a 2008 Thunderbird.

""Whats the word!
THUNDERBIRD!
Whats the price..50 twice!!!
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid.
zoomzoom
Official Board Scrat

Postby whiskMEaway » Fri May 30, 2008 10:55 am

If you want great bang-for-your-buck Bordeaux, try the 2005 Chateaux St. Jean Bordeaux Superieur. It is usually right around $10 a bottle when you can find it and ready to drink now.

If you are looking for an '05 to age a year or just drink slowly, try Chateau Plaisance from St. Emilion. It usually is in the $15-20 range and opens up nicely as it sits in your glass, but can definitely hold up to around 5 years of napping in your basement.

In general, you can usually find some pretty good values on things labeled 'Medoc' or 'Haut-Medoc' since it is usually a blend of the grapes that werent deemed worthy to go in the big-boy Bordeauxs...but it isnt such a lower quality that it is just labeled 'Bordeaux'
whiskMEaway
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby todd » Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 pm

Thank you all! :)
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby zoomzoom » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:51 am

What...are you serious???
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid.
zoomzoom
Official Board Scrat

Postby Kinsley » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:28 am

zoomzoom wrote:What...are you serious???

I'm afraid they are.
Don't worry about them. Folks have different tastes and priorities. :?

I had some Richards Wild Irish Rose on Preakness Day.
It was very fresh.
Riunite Lambrusco is still a bargain at $13 for 3L. :wink:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby gwilson » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm on Premiere Cru's mailing list - http://www.premiercru.net. Being poor, I haven't ordered from them, but their prices seem pretty good. At least you can use them for comparison to other places. And they also have frequent weekend sales.

-Greg
gwilson
Captain Briner

Return to The Good Drinks Room