[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - $50.00 budget.

$50.00 budget.

Open forum to be used for all liquid comestibles/drinks. Bring us your favorite cocktails, beers, cokes (whatever), waters, or even broths.

$50.00 budget.

Postby todd » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm very grateful to the wonderful surgeon, who fixed my bad shoulder.
I was told he loves red wine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Todd.
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby drodenbo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:48 pm

On a $50 budget, the sky's practically the limit. You can get a lot of really great red wines for $50 or less.

If your doctor's in to red wines, chances are he loves those Pinot Noirs. They are very nice, but since you want to special it up, I would recommend trying to find a Pinot Meunier. It's an offshoot, usually used in champagne, but absolutely an awesome red. Very hard to find as a red wine, and therefore that much more special. The only Pinot Meunier I've ever had came from a friend's private collection, so I can't really vouch for any of the ones out there that are commercially available. However, Domaine Chandon makes a spectacular sparkling wine from this grape, and it looks like they offer it as a red as well:

http://tinyurl.com/6po8k4

Chandon knows Pinot Meunier. At $27 a bottle, it's a really good deal. I would give this one a tumble.
Dave Rodenborn

When life gives you lemons, make Sazeracs.

drodenbo
Lieutenant Junior Grade Briner

Postby todd » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:39 am

VERY helpful!
Thanks. 8)
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby whiskMEaway » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:10 pm

I know I am late to the party, but I would stick to Napa Cabernet or maybe some bubbly that will come in handy in less than a month as New Year's approaches, unless you know your Doc is into trying new things. Chandon's Pinot Meunier has a good amount of tannin and pencil lead-like aromas...i just added it by-the-glass at my place and people don't know how to approach it. Though, i really like it.

(quick little wine geek lesson- real Champagne, from France, is made from any combination of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier grapes. Some places use all three, some will use just one or two. Each grape offers different aromas, mouthfeel, and acidity so when combined they can really round out the sparkling wine)

Like drodenbo said, for $50 you can do a lot. Eponymous, Turnbull, Stag's Leap Winery, Madrigal, or Atalon all make great Cabernets that wont completely break the bank.

For Champagne/Sparkling wine try Nicolas Feulliatte, Moet & Chandon, Domaine Chandon (Moet's US sister winery), Domaine Carneros, or Juve y Camps.
whiskMEaway
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 pm

whiskMEaway wrote: Moet & Chandon, Domaine Chandon (Moet's US sister winery),

Not to be Grinchey; but I'm really curious why fine knowledgeable sophisticates like yourself (true compliment) tend to reach for (or recommend) Moet (The Budweiser of champagne) or Domaine Chandon (the Keystone of sparking wine calling itself champagne) so quickly, especially on a $50 budget when there are champagnes like Montaudon , Piper-Heidsieck or even Veuve-clicquot (although Veuve's quality has diminished a bit IMHO).

Just curious

signed
Champagne fiend
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby whiskMEaway » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Slamdunkpro wrote:
whiskMEaway wrote: Moet & Chandon, Domaine Chandon (Moet's US sister winery),

Not to be Grinchey; but I'm really curious why fine knowledgeable sophisticates like yourself (true compliment) tend to reach for (or recommend) Moet (The Budweiser of champagne) or Domaine Chandon (the Keystone of sparking wine calling itself champagne) so quickly, especially on a $50 budget when there are champagnes like Montaudon , Piper-Heidsieck or even Veuve-clicquot (although Veuve's quality has diminished a bit IMHO).

Just curious

signed
Champagne fiend

Couple of reasons:
1. It is easy to find and people recognize it so I don't have to try to explain how to go about hunting it down. If I had said "try Varnier Fanniere or Pierre Gimonnet Champagne" chances are there would be no way to find it unless you went online.
2. I really like the extra dry taste that Moet's White Star delivers and I feel that Domaine Chandon produces a good Blanc de Noirs.

and i also think that Veuve Yellow Label has gone seriously downhill and that their "good stuff" is overpriced.
whiskMEaway
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to The Good Drinks Room