[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - vodka, limoncello and citrus

vodka, limoncello and citrus

Open forum to be used for all liquid comestibles/drinks. Bring us your favorite cocktails, beers, cokes (whatever), waters, or even broths.

vodka, limoncello and citrus

Postby stixx23 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:14 pm

What a combination!

I'll post this in the Good Drinks forum as well...

slaggy and I went to a local restaurant a couple weeks ago and she decided to try some new drinks. One they called a Sticky Wicket, although I've yet to find a drink by that name in any of the mixology websites I've looked at.

The ingredients given by the waitress was muddled ornage and lemon with vodka, limoncello and simple syrup.

I made a pretty close approximation at the house and then decided to refine it a bit to make it less pulpy. here's the recipe:

Ingredients
4 oz. vodka
4 oz. limoncello
2 oz. simple syrup
juice and zest from one lemon and one orange

Makes two good sized drinks.

Using a coarse microplane grater, zest one orange and one lemon. Put the zest in a one-cup measuring cup and pour equal amounts of vodka and limoncello to the one cup line.

Slice the orange and lemon in half. Position a mesh strainer over a measuring cup and, using a wooden reamer, juice the fruit completely. You should get about 3/4 cup of juice.

In a cocktail shaker, put five or six ice cubes, the citrus juice, the liquor strained of the zest and two ounces of simple syrup.

Shake and pour into chilled cocktail glasses.

So does this sound at all familiar to any of the bartenders out there? It's kind of involved, but the taste is definitely worth it!
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 am

Looks tasty. How long do you let the zest hang out in the alcohol before straining it off?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby stixx23 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:21 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:Looks tasty. How long do you let the zest hang out in the alcohol before straining it off?

I'd say it's probably 15-minutes or so. I zest the fruit and then stick the zest in the alcohol. Then I ream the fruit and put the glasses and shaker in the freezer to chill which takes 10-15 minutes.

May have to make more this weekend to try different marinating times. ;)

I found a link on Wikipedia's entry for limoncello about making your own and may be doing that at some point as well.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby grrlscout » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm

stixx23 wrote:I found a link on Wikipedia's entry for limoncello about making your own and may be doing that at some point as well.

There are a few discussions in here on the topic as well. :wink:
Get Your Foodie Booty Here!
grrlscout
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby stixx23 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 pm

grrlscout wrote:
stixx23 wrote:I found a link on Wikipedia's entry for limoncello about making your own and may be doing that at some point as well.

There are a few discussions in here on the topic as well. :wink:

I think making some will be this weekend's project.

Our liquor store has everclear in 1.75L bottles for $27. that's about the same price as a .75L bottle of Limoncello, so it's got that working for it!

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Return to The Good Drinks Room