[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - The Great Limoncello Experiment

The Great Limoncello Experiment

Open forum to be used for all liquid comestibles/drinks. Bring us your favorite cocktails, beers, cokes (whatever), waters, or even broths.

The Great Limoncello Experiment

Postby stixx23 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 pm

I've said for awhile I was going to make my own limoncello. I even bought the Everclear for it a month or so ago. I finally bought the lemons and put it all together. Well, not all. As you'll see, it's a process that takes time.

Instead of AB's recipe, I used this one from The Washington Post published a couple years back. The only difference is that I used a liter of Everclear instead of 1.5 liters, so the rest of the recipe will be reduced accordingly.

I took a couple pictures of the process so far and will continue to do so.

First, here's the set up after the peeling.

And in case you're wondering how much the lemon peel (without pith) weighs...

Even just a few minutes after combining the peel with the alcohol, it's taken on a yellow tint.

You have to shake the bottles once a day at this point. On Day 2, the alcohol is noticeably darker in color.

Just a few more notes on the experiment. The recipe calls for putting it into a Mason jar. I just used the Everclear bottle plus an empty bottle from some limoncello we had purchased last year. Looking on it now, it would probably be better to use something with a wider mouth because I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get the peel out. Luckily, I have other empty bottles that I can put the finished liquid into.

That's it for now. The next post will be in around two weeks when the alcohol is mixed with the simple syrup! Stay tuned!
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Re: The Great Limoncello Experiment

Postby okbye » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 pm

stixx23 wrote:Even just a few minutes after combining the peel with the alcohol, it's taken on a yellow tint.

That doesn't surprise me, I bet Everclear can dissolve engine blocks. :lol:
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby stixx23 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:28 am

I'll post the pics later in the week, but after two weeks of shaking, the limoncello is now one step closer to being ready. I'm not sure what I expected, but the lemon peels ended up brittle, almost like potato chips after two weeks in the Everclear. And right now I have 2.5 liters of limoncello in my pantry. According to the recipe, it needs to be agitated twice a day for three weeks. Then it goes into the freezer from whence it can be enjoyed. the little bit I licked off my fingers after transferring back to the bottles tasted nice and strong.

I should have done research before making this post because I'm not sure how much the sugar affects the final alcohol content. I'm not sure if the 190-proof Everclear is reduced to around 95-100 based on the just under 4 cups of water added or whether the 4 cups of sugar also reduces the alcohol content by an equal amount, so that we're talking 60-65 proof. My guess is closer to the latter, but I'm not positive. Either way, it'll be fun!

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:58 am

You started with 950ml of alcohol (1L of 95% or 190 proof). You said your final volume is 2500ml. 950/2500 = 38% abv or 76 proof.
An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks, PF!

I knew there was a better way to figure that out. Next time you're in Oklahoma, the limoncello's on me!

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Parrothead » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 am

How does it taste?
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am

Parrothead wrote:How does it taste?

It's not done yet.

According to the recipe I linked to, after the simple syrup is added it has to be shaken twice a day for three weeks. we're 10 days or so into that period. I'm still not entirely sure why this has to be done, but that's the recipe, so I'm following it. A mellowing period, perhaps?

It'll be finished the week of May 3rd and then go in the freezer. We'll probably have the inagural sip that following weekend.

Stay tuned!

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:09 am

This had better be good!

After more than five weeks, the limoncello is in the freezer.

Taste test might be earlier than this weekend, we'll see. ;)

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Fri May 14, 2010 10:44 pm

So how was it?

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:12 am

Sorry, I meant to post and then forgot.

It's very good! Better than the bottle of stuff i bought last year.

It's very thick, kind of like cough syrup, partially because of the sugar added and partially because it's in the freezer the whole time.

I put maybe 2 or 3oz in a glass with a 12oz can of seltzer for a very refreshing drink with a nice kick. I'm on my second one of those this evening, in fact!

I definitely recommend it if limoncello is something you like. I'd say buy a bottle first and then imagine something much better. ;)

This will be a regular addition to our freezer. Definitely worth the 5-weeks wait!

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

BTW, this recipe works just as well with limes. Maybe even better! Might try using limecello to replace the lime juice and simple syrup in a daiquiri recipe for a drink with even more kick!

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Parrothead » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Limecello Mojitos?
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:57 pm

So is this stuff just basically lime flavored straight alcohol? I have never had it and I don't drink so I don't really want to buy a bottle but I saw an interesting recipe that called for it and I was wondering if just lime juice would make a reasonable substitute?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Tena » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 am

okbye wrote:So is this stuff just basically lime flavored straight alcohol? I have never had it and I don't drink so I don't really want to buy a bottle but I saw an interesting recipe that called for it and I was wondering if just lime juice would make a reasonable substitute?

Well, its not straight, it does contain simple syrup.
Basically its a highly concentrated form of hard lemonade. lol
(at least in my opinion)

I'm not sure lime juice would be a good substitute tho
:think:

I'm glad stixx posted this. It never occurred to me to make my own but I am now!
When your wrong, your wrong.

Dammit I'm mad is the same if you spell it backwards.
(And you totally just checked.)

Worry is a misuse of the imagination.
~Dan Zadra~
Tena
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby stixx23 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:35 am

okbye wrote:So is this stuff just basically lime flavored straight alcohol? I have never had it and I don't drink so I don't really want to buy a bottle but I saw an interesting recipe that called for it and I was wondering if just lime juice would make a reasonable substitute?

It depends on what the recipe is. Something like Rose's Lime Juice which is more of a lime-flavored simple syrup might give closer results than just lime juice. Tena is right. The simple syrup is the difference between limoncello (or limecello) and just an infused alcohol. I don't know if the terminology is correct, but think of it more as a cordial than a hard liquor (although the recipe I used makes for a far stronger end product than what you'll get in the store). The consistency is like fake maple syrup stuff.

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 am

450ml evap milk, chilled
350g dark muscovado sugar
8 sweet short crust pastries, blind baked
icing sugar to dust

cream
200g mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp limoncello
zest of 1 lemon
Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4. Into a mixer, pour the chilled evaporated milk and add the sugar. Whisk on full speed for 15 minutes until the mixture doubles in volume and becomes pale with the consistency of soft whipped cream.

Pour the mixture into the tartlet cases and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then once cool, chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

To make the mascarpone and limoncello cream, in a bowl beat the mascarpone cheese to soften. Add the limoncello and mix well until combined.

Remove the tarts from the fridge and lightly dust with icing sugar. Serve with the mascarpone and limoncello cream, topped with the freshly grated zest of a lemon.

See, I didn't really want to buy it for 2 TBSP because I'll never use it.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby stixx23 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 pm

I think for that recipe, just use some thawed lemonade concentrate. That should have the right consistency, sweetness and lemon flavor.

stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 am

Yeah, that would probably work. Sounds good, huh?

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Return to The Good Drinks Room