[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Crime & Racism (offshoot of Deen thread)

Crime & Racism (offshoot of Deen thread)

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

Crime & Racism (offshoot of Deen thread)

Postby carla » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 am

Started in The Paula mess thread:

tj wrote:
To phrase it carefully: Are the murders prevalent in the Hispanic/Latino community not because of race, but because of socio-economic conditions which may prevail there?

Too many subtleties and social, economic & political issues to take up on the board, or anywhere else, for me. I am certainly not up to it. I am liberal, open-minded, and educated, which adds to my confusion, despair and partial inability to take a political stance.

Yes, to your question, tj. However, there are lots of choices, programs & opportunities for them. The gang culture draws them; they choose that in many cases and some are pressured. Many see no other choice. But yes, we're amazingly affluent in social programs, even as all gov't. suffers monetary issues. And I only went to high school for one year, but I worked before going to jr. college. But I was lucky to be born rich and live in a house full of books and be read to since before I can remember.

Yes, there's a cultural and a gang issue in my county and it's Latino/Hispanic (we're still lily-white). Yes, there's a testosterone issue. Yes, there have been horrible, pointless murders committed by Latino gang members against non-gang members. I have not determined, for just my own mind, how they can best be dealt with, especially with CA's AB 109, prison "realignment." But don't get me wrong, those found guilty in the murders I refer to should be locked up for life. Actually, not life, just til they mature, til they become less of a threat. Of course I support humanitarian release of elderly, dying inmates, even if just for the monetary aspect. I'm looking at public safety not just retribution, and at public monies. I know we have little money for rehabilitation. And I asked myself the "how can you rehabilitate if one has never been habilitated" question in the early 80's. I know many prisoners have and do accomplish it on their own, in prison. I still and have always thought education should be offered in jail and prison. I know states and the nation can't and/or won't afford it. Penny wise & pound foolish.
How do we break the cycle? How do we make jail and prison NOT a training ground for criminals.

Also, we now have criminals serving long-term sentences in a crowded county jail, originally meant for and used til very recently for people in the trial process, those awaiting trial, and those sentenced to one year or less (this is CA AB 109, "Prison Realignment" which moved prison inmates to county jails. It's a money game and we can't afford it; our jail was already over-crowded. So there's a ripple affect throughout the state justice system, not new, just exacerbated, with shorter sentences and all time served taken into account to decrease sentences lengths. I believe this does give offenders and re-offenders more freedom to get back in the [already broken] system.) Then there's those in jail for marijuana crimes. And the fact that we, the USA, jail mind-boggling numbers of people. It just sucks. The world is too complicated & too difficult, for me. I'm overwhelmed.

The huge majority of the homeless in my area are Caucasian. In fact, no Hispanics that I've seen. The worst are the homeless punks, young people who do choose to live on the streets. They harass citizens, panhandle aggressively, fight amongst themselves and threaten and have rarely used weapons to attack or threaten members of the public. Those who go that far are usually mentally ill. They greatly affect our business district and our city's quality of life. Many in our community are up in arms about this problem. It's a huge quality of life issue and there are some assaults, but it's nothing like the local serious assaults and murders, which are gang-related.

Then there are my neighborhood regulars who check the trash area for recyclables in daylight hours. I leave my deposit bottles in a bag for them next to the recycle pails. I have a favorite recycler, Christina; she lives in my neighborhood. We speak in Spanish. I call out to her & bring her what I have that's worth $. She's a good, hardworking, likable woman. I saw her buy herself a Snickers bar, which I too love. I didn't criticize her for it. She works her butt off.
Life is tough in so many different ways.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Return to Poli-FRY