[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - A bit of a rant

A bit of a rant

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

A bit of a rant

Postby Nitro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 pm

This does involve local Cincinnati politics, but just have to say something about it, because it is so stupid. I can't remember ever skipping an election, but next week we literally will have an election that doesn't matter, at a cost of about $400,000.

We are electing a new mayor in Cincinnati. A while ago, the office was changed where the mayor is directly elected, before it was whoever got the most city council votes. We also have a City Manager.

There originally were two major candidates that were expected to run, easy. It's non partisan so no primary if there are two candidates. Both would go to the general election. Then a proponent of legalization of marijuana jumped in, forcing a special primary. Then a fourth candidate, a woman that has tried for Mayor of Las Vegas, Los Angeles, House of Representatives and President in 2004 and 2008.

The marijuana guy dropped out, so votes for him don't count. So we've got two major candidates and this other woman. The local paper has actually had to censor some of her responses for expletives. Unfortunately for her, she lost a $994 trillion dollar lawsuit she filed so her warchest is a bit light...

So for $400,000, we get an election where the results are already a given since the top two of three move on. This is the only item on the ballot.
Nitro
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: A bit of a rant

Postby carla » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:41 am

Very sad & extremely wasteful, I agree. Following the letter of the law, and even principle, is so often so expensive. I want to see municipalities come together to avoid such boondoggles.
I haven't kept up in the past week or more, but San Diego CA may do something similar.

"A while ago, the office was changed where the mayor is directly elected, before it was whoever got the most city council votes."
Wait a minute. City charter was changed or something like that, and how to elect the next mayor was not addressed? And there's no primary? Electing the next mayor AT THE TIME OF THE NEXT ELECTION was not suggested? That's a criminal waste of taxpayer money. I'm not saying I understand, I haven't read about it, but it appears that the planning and prep was non-existent. This is definitely a boondoggle as I see it so far.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Nitro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:37 pm

The charter specifies that if there are more than two candidates, that there will be a primary on the second Tuesday of September. So it's more the stupidity of the law than the weirdo candidates, they do have a right to run if they are eligible and get enough signatures.

I say just skip the primary and let them all face off in the General. With an open primary, if you had two Democrats and two Republicans run, you might end up with both of one party winning the primary anyway.

They say that September was decided on to reduce the amount of campaigning time and cost.
Nitro
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Nitro » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 am

Election is over, 11,000 people voted out of 201,000 registered voters.
Nitro
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Poli-FRY