[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Well, we're all going to die...

Well, we're all going to die...

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

Well, we're all going to die...

Postby Catherine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 am

Unless the government gets its act together. If not by food poisoning, then by the plague. Or being nuked.
http://www.marlerblog.com/legal-cases/f ... lQiSxzDaUA

The first wave....
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Re: Well, we're all going to die...

Postby okbye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 pm

It's true, we are all going to die. No one gets out of this alive. I just hope it's by zombie apocalypse.

Anyway, this doesn't have anything to do with the government shut down. Take off the tin foil hat.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby new cook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Actually, Okbye, it does have to do with the government shutdown:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... almonella/

But according to some people (not you, Catherine or Okbye, nor anyone in particular on this site), we should let things like this happen and eliminate all government agencies because they're onerous and are incapable of doing anything right.

I like Elizabeth Warren's rebuttal to that concept:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxWMkW8s_ ... TxWMkW8s_c
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby ABwannabe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 pm

new cook wrote:Actually, Okbye, it does have to do with the government shutdown:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... almonella/

But according to some people (not you, Catherine or Okbye, nor anyone in particular on this site), we should let things like this happen and eliminate all government agencies because they're onerous and are incapable of doing anything right.

I like Elizabeth Warren's rebuttal to that concept:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxWMkW8s_ ... TxWMkW8s_c

I'm at work so haven't followed any of the links.

Notice that there's currently nothing to replace/do the things that are currently the government's responsibilities. I don't know of anyone who really thinks there doesn't need to be responsibility for food safety, just that that the private sector should be the ones responsible for it. I realize that this is debatable.

This isn't exactly hard proof that the government should remain responsible for these critical tasks. If anything, it shows me that it should *not* be the government, since they are having so much trouble. I don't understand why so many (like new cook, not pointing at anyone here) people complain about the government, and how inept it is, but want them to take on extremely critical responsibilities to the exclusion of the private sector.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm

The notification had to do with the shut down, the contamination didn't. The implication to me anyway was if we don't fix the shut down all of the meat distributors will run amok and kill us with bacteria because they can. That's crazy talk.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:06 pm

I agree with both Catherine & okbye.
Would be fun to have another outbreak of a global infectious disease during the furlough.
(not that one isn't going on right now; I'm sure one is.)
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby new cook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Did anyone check out the links? I thought the Wired article did a fair job of explaining why and how the CDC has a critical role in responding to such outbreaks. It's not as simple as notifying the public.

ABW, in my opinion oversight agencies for public health and safety should be kept in the government domain because of the difference in priorities and accountability between government and business.

Private companies are motivated by profit and are primarily accountable to shareholders, who are also motivated by profit. Government is responsible for the common welfare of its citizens and answers to voters.

One of the worst outcomes I've read about the privatization of a government function is when the scandal where teenagers were being wrongfully committed to privately run juvenile detention centers by judges who were receiving kickbacks from the company who ran them. Here's one of the articles about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13 ... d=all&_r=0

Private business is great for all sorts of things, and government for others. And yes, sometimes they can make great partnerships, along with NPOs, in addressing issues like hunger and homelessness, or building infrastructure. But imho none is suitable for meeting all of society's needs. They each have their place.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Return to Poli-FRY