[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Flack from Mandela memorial service

Flack from Mandela memorial service

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

Flack from Mandela memorial service

Postby Nitro » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I know that no matter what, Obama criticizers will use anything against him, same thing happens with other Presidents, it's not just Democrats. But there were a few things that I've noticed with this particular situation.

The selfie:
It seems to me, the stories about the "Obama selfie" are at best inaccurate. He participated in the picture sure, but he wasn't the instigator. The Prime Minister of Denmark is the one that actually took the picture, that's her phone. The Mandela memorial was a celebration of life, not a solemn funeral.

Shaking hands with Raul Castro:
Wouldn't it have been more inappropriate for him to rebuff Castro? It pays to be polite even to people you don't agree with or like in situations like this. It doesn't seem to be the place to not say hello, or to walk out while someone you disagree with is speaking, as Ted Cruz did.

I've also seen criticism that he was behind bulletproof glass. Weren't all the world leaders that were there in a similar protective state (though next to a schizophrenic experiencing a psychotic episode)?

And finally, I've also seen criticism that George H.W. either wasn't invited by Obama or was somehow boycotting it because Obama was there. Isn't it more likely that he didn't go because of the long trip and his health? Even in the comfort of Air Force One, it would be a difficult trip in his condition. He isn't in the greatest health.
Nitro
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: Flack from Mandela memorial service

Postby okbye » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Those points are all just wrong. Bush jr and Obama went on Air Force One together, why wouldn't dad be welcome? Some republicans are just ridiculous error mongers. Too many others just believe them.

There's pics and a thing about this, I will add it when I find it.

Finally. Maria had posted it. http://www.policymic.com/articles/76375 ... uth-africa
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Wholly agree, Nitro. Mountains out of molehills; pretend rather than real problems. Bunch of crap, in short.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:02 pm

The interpreter may well have been a very bad security breach. Or he may be a functioning schizophrenic. I don't know.
SA gov't did screw up by hiring him, but oh well.

Kimmel (whom I don't like) has a sign-language interpreter interpret him:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... z2nJuNcI8a

I haven't seen any mention of "bullet-proof glass"; it's actually bullet-resistant plastic and I've worked behind it at two different jobs and I'm just a poor clerk!
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:52 pm

carla wrote:Wholly agree, Nitro. Mountains out of molehills; pretend
rather than real problems. Bunch of crap, in short.

A perfect description of our current political discourse.

The politicians aren't making any effort to solve problems,
just trying to spin the latest BS to make their opponents
look like bigger jerks than they are.

The media is just taking the BS the politicians feed them
and embellishing it.

Did you see the Myth Busters episode where they showed
that you could actually polish a turd?

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby okbye » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:13 am

^ Exactly It's diversion. And they have proven that if people hear something enough times they will take it as true even if they knew it was false at the outset. Our brains can be really stupid sometimes.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Nitro » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:21 pm

carla wrote:The interpreter may well have been a very bad security breach. Or he may be a functioning schizophrenic. I don't know.
SA gov't did screw up by hiring him, but oh well.

Kimmel (whom I don't like) has a sign-language interpreter interpret him:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... z2nJuNcI8a

I haven't seen any mention of "bullet-proof glass"; it's actually bullet-resistant plastic and I've worked behind it at two different jobs and I'm just a poor clerk!

He has said that during the service he had hallucinations about angels, and that he has been violent in the past. Certainly, he was the wrong person to hire.
Nitro
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Poli-FRY