[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Another day...

Another day...

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

Another day...

Postby new cook » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:12 pm

...another deadly school shooting. Whether at an el-hi or college, these events are becoming so commonplace. It makes me wonder, are we as a society also becoming numb to it?

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=21 ... nafxZ4RWle

:?:
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Re: Another day...

Postby okbye » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:05 pm

According to that article it wasn't a "school shooting", it was a murder that happened to occur at a school. The guy was singled out and shot intentionally, no one else was hurt.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby new cook » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am

Whether the victims are random or specifically targeted makes little difference. It's still (premeditated) murder. Someone was pissed off about something and using a firearm they felt the need to express their rage at a school, a place where parents send their kids to learn. A place we used to think of as safe.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:00 pm

The headline of that article doesn't really reflect the tone of the piece. Reading the headline, one expects that the article would be about how we're becoming numb to yet another school shooting, but the article is actually about why this one was different: because it was targeted at a specific individual, like Barb said. To me, the best analogy for the events at Purdue is not Newtown but the murder of Annie Le, in which no firearm was used.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby new cook » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:21 pm

I reread the entire article and I interpret it as addressing both. The posting of social media responses in the middle of it may cause some to think the article has ended? Don't know if that's an issue here or not.

-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks, but I did somehow manage to read the entire article. I still think it's a misleading headline.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Return to Poli-FRY