[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Bye, Eric!

Bye, Eric!

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

Bye, Eric!

Postby tj » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Eric Cantor lost the primary in his district and will not be in Congress after the fall election. I live next door to his district and I feel better already.
tj
Admiral Briner

Re: Bye, Eric!

Postby carla » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:56 pm

:shock: but what about his possible replacement?!
(Tea Party; more conservative than Cantor. I fear even more deadlock. I don't mean to make this more partisan, those who read this board know I'm a liberal)

"Who is David Brat?

Brat, 49, teaches economics at Randolph-Macon College, a small liberal arts and sciences college in Ashland, Va. His areas of academic specialization include macro-growth economics, international trade and finance, history and ethics. A political novice, he ran his campaign on a proverbial shoestring, raising about $230,000 to Cantor’s $5.7 million. Having handily won the primary, 56% to 44%, Brat appears well positioned to win in November in the heavily Republican district, which spreads over 100 miles from Virginia’s Tidewater region to the exurbs outside Washington. His opponent, as events would have it, is a fellow Randolph-Macon professor, Democrat Jack Trammel. He teaches sociology, with a focus on disability studies."
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:28 pm

I really should contain my euphoria.

What I think is most interesting is that this is a real political development instead of just another rubber stamp primary.

It is possible that some will think over the direction of things and perhaps decide that gridlock is not inevitable. Maybe elections can make a difference.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 am

tj wrote:I really should contain my euphoria.

No, no need to do that! I just fear an even worse future. Cantor was no prize...
I'm happy that someone with so little money won. But that may be due to voter apathy; the bigger issue is the USA's minuscule voter turnout, especially in off years. (Veering off here, I still believe that VOTING is the way to enforce term limits, not by legislation.)
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 am

It's true, Carla. We may get worse. Who really knows!

I do agree about the voting issue. Cantor is not in my district and the only thing for me to vote on Tuesday ws a local clerk's position. Still, I bothered to go and take five minutes to do my civic duty. When you see the messes around the world, it is a mere nothing to cast a ballot but it has an amazing effect for me when I feel involved. Because i vote, I read the news and listen to others. It's a VERY good thing.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:16 pm

tj wrote:It is possible that some will think over the direction of things and perhaps decide that gridlock is not inevitable. Maybe elections can make a difference.

I don't see that happening at all. Republicans are getting "primaried" precisely because they're not ideologically pure enough for the old, white, conservative voters who are vastly over-represented in primary elections. The lesson to sitting Republicans is that any hint of cooperation with the other side will be viewed as vile treachery and severely punished. How is that supposed to lead to less gridlock?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby tj » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm

You may well be right, Kamidanshir. My idealistic side wants to think that at least some of the voters will see it as evidence that voting can make a difference. It is, after all, the first time this has happened in 115 years. No reason to think it will happen often, but at least it did happen once.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:Republicans are getting "primaried" precisely because they're not ideologically pure enough for the ...conservative voters who are vastly over-represented in primary elections.

This. Thus my concern.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby ABwannabe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 pm

(warning: I think this is more of a rant or venting than I intended or desired. I'll leave it as it is because I don't know any better to get this off of my chest. I really don't mean to sound insensitive, condescending, defensive, nor hurtful. My compassion and respect for others are still here, just not exactly at the forefront of my mind right now.)

Even though I'm very conservative, and so usually agree more with Republican than Democrat positiions, I don't affiliate myself with either. I really don't know much about Cantor, nor any potential replacements, so I can't say whether I consider this good or bad.

However, I have two reasons for commenting.

1. I wish the parties (since I'm really dreaming, there'd be more that two) could be organized around ideologies instead of issues. Instead of Democrat vs Republican, it could be "Fiscally conservative" vs "Socially Liberal", or maybe "Limited Federal Authority" vs "Federal Oversight and Enforcement of Individual Rights/Choices", or whatever. Knowing someone's position on Healthcare says nothing about their position on International Trade. Then, these movements within parties would be about the ideology of the party - Does Fred plan to emphasize compassion when dealing with the economy, or will Betty plan to emphasize the economy when dealing with social issues?

2. For some reason -- and this may say more about me than anyone else, so I'm not really throwing stones -- I'm really bugged by this:
Kamidanshir wrote: they're not ideologically pure enough for the old, white, conservative voters who are vastly over-represented in primary elections
I can't really put my finger on what bugs me -- maybe the "old, white, conservative" sounds like a prejudice (racist?). I think it's more that it sounds like this implies that "old, white, conservatives" are oppressing a majority of people. We're in a republic with strong democratic (little "d") influences, if there's an oppressed majority then there are enough social and political options to do something about it. Heck, that's happening practically daily in other areas: gay marriage and legalizing marijuana are two prevalent examples.

Or, maybe I'm bugged because a few issues are being used to define an "ideology". As I said in my first point, I don't think any party or group is really defined by an "ideology" -- they're defined by issues.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:14 pm

ABwannabe wrote:For some reason -- and this may say more about me than anyone else, so I'm not really throwing stones -- I'm really bugged by this:
Kamidanshir wrote: they're not ideologically pure enough for the old, white, conservative voters who are vastly over-represented in primary elections
I can't really put my finger on what bugs me -- maybe the "old, white, conservative" sounds like a prejudice (racist?). I think it's more that it sounds like this implies that "old, white, conservatives" are oppressing a majority of people. We're in a republic with strong democratic (little "d") influences, if there's an oppressed majority then there are enough social and political options to do something about it. Heck, that's happening practically daily in other areas: gay marriage and legalizing marijuana are two prevalent examples.

Or, maybe I'm bugged because a few issues are being used to define an "ideology". As I said in my first point, I don't think any party or group is really defined by an "ideology" -- they're defined by issues.

Did you read the article I linked to? "Old, white, conservative" isn't just inflammatory language I chose out of prejudice, that's who the demographic studies indicate show up for Republican primaries. General elections certainly draw a more diverse electorate, even just looking at the GOP. I'd be interested to see a similar breakdown for Democratic primaries; it's probably a distinct subset of the general electorate there as well. As for "oppression", the fact that the votes of a motivated few limit the choices that everyone else gets in the general election is an indictment of those who don't bother to vote in primaries, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't vote in every election, you don't get to complain about how things turned out.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby carla » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:27 pm

I agree with Kam. It's a voter issue. So few care! While others fight for the right to vote. Abysmally sad.

ABWannabee, we know you think. Don't apologize so much. I personally understand, I don't want to be flamed either. But I really respect you.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Who would any of you like to see become House Majority Leader in Cantor's place?
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:I don't see that happening at all. Republicans are getting "primaried" precisely because they're not ideologically pure enough for the old, white, conservative voters who are vastly over-represented in primary elections. The lesson to sitting Republicans is that any hint of cooperation with the other side will be viewed as vile treachery and severely punished. How is that supposed to lead to less gridlock?

The voters were "Tea Party" and conservative adherents. But the politicians don't seem to be capitalizing on their victory:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

McCarthy is reportedly moderate and lives close to districts that are reportedly suffering from a lack of vegetable and fruit pickers. He seems to support immigration reform.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby ABwannabe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 am

[quote="Kamidanshir"Did you read the article I linked to? "Old, white, conservative" isn't just inflammatory language I chose out of prejudice, that's who the demographic studies indicate show up for Republican primaries.[/quote]

Yes, I read the article. I was directing my frustration at the article's writer, not you; that wasn't clear. Why would the writer bring it up? I saw in the artical an implied correlation, stirring the "Republicans are racist fools" stereotype. I've often seen people get blasted as racist for referring to a "low income, black" neighborhood being crime-ridden.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ABwannabe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:20 am

carla wrote:ABWannabee, we know you think. Don't apologize so much. I personally understand, I don't want to be flamed either. But I really respect you.

Thanks. In this case, I was apologizing because I didn't think I was communicating very well. Reading my own words, I thought I sounded more like one of those "right wing wackos" than I wanted to. Thanks for understanding, and more for respecting!

I love this place. (wipes tears from my eyes)
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Poli-FRY