[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - White House Petition (Israel/Gaza)

White House Petition (Israel/Gaza)

Want to talk politics? Find your threads here! (NOTE: If you started a politics thread in the general forum, it's probably here by now.)

Moderator: Chef Mongo

White House Petition (Israel/Gaza)

Postby Catherine » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 am

I'm putting this in Poli-fry directly. I am NOT pro-Hamas, I am NOT anti-Israel. But I don't think our government giving more military aid to Israel is appropriate right now. Children are dying. It is a horrible situation, but CHILDREN are dying. And I feel that sharing this petition is the only constructive thing I can do. Neither country is in the right, but Israel has superior fire power. I see the pictures from the war zones, of kids who look like my sister, my cousins, kids I grew up with. And it is horrible. The Egyptian government used American tear gas against its own people, which did not help America's image in the middle east.

Please sign and share. We need to stop the conflict somehow. We need to stop our culpability in the conflict.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... l/MT2m5jGt
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Re: White House Petition (Israel/Gaza)

Postby okbye » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 pm

We shouldn't be giving military aid to anyone else but I don't do online petitions. They're useless.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Kinsley » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm

okbye wrote:We shouldn't be giving military aid to anyone else

Jon Stewart did an excellent piece a few days about all of the
countries in the Middle East we give or sell weapons to. I'll
post it when I find a link. Not just Iraq, Egypt and Saudi
Arabia; Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, UAE... it was $billions
in every case. A lot of them fall into the hands of rebels and
insurrectionists, so we are arming both sides. :evil:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Catherine » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 am

And this is going to continue, and we are going to keep giving military aid and be on both sides of conflicts until we speak up. While I don't think petitions help much, they do allow the White House to see "Hey, you know, Americans are seeing this trend and dislike it". I don't think the petition is going to cause an immediate policy change, but it will speak. And I need to do something. I see all these images of dead children on my Twitter feed, Israel is shooting at schools, at refugees, at places where they were GIVEN the coordinates and told, "this is a refuge, there are displaced civilians there". It is heartbreaking. Please share, please get this petition out there. It doesn't have to do with being pro-Hamas or anti-Israel, it has to do with the fact that innocents are dying by American bullets. We are not firing, but we are culpable.
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Thank you Catherine.
Guess I'm just following in Jon Stewart's foot steps. I hate to be ID'd as "jewish" with no idea if I'm a believer, a participant, an atheist, an agnostic or even a supporter. I just can't intellectually handle this. Emotionally? Israel .. hell I know the history. Hamas? I know some too. But Israel appears to be such an oppressor, travelling a too well-worn road... I just can't speak to it; can barely contemplate it.

Thank goodness there is someone who can help me speak to myself, let alone speak to others, and even express my feelings...
This isn't funny. It's important.
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/7wnfe ... out-israel

well, of course it is funny. I guess, to some. But I'm with Jon Stewart: "Eff it"
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:25 am

The Israelis say they attack Hamas to make them stop launching rockets.
Hamas says it launches rockets to make the Israeli stop attacking them.
:roll:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Catherine » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah, and the rhetoric on both sides. But there will ALWAYS be a reason to start this up again. And the only way we will give other countries, and the UN, a bargaining chip, is if we stop giving military aid. We can't say "stop shooting those Palestinians" at THE SAME TIME as we say "Oh here's more ammo".

And this round started with the murder of three teens by an anti-Hamas splinter cell. And the Israeli government apparently knew the facts. Do I think Hamas is lily-white? Hell no. BUT. They can't have as many bombs hidden as places that have been shelled. With modern technology I can look up an address halfway across the WORLD. And they can't tell where these tunnels come OUT? *sigh*
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Return to Poli-FRY