[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 3 - Meat Chili

TAKE A STAND: Round 3 - Meat Chili

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

Meat Chili: Beans, or no Beans

No Beans in Chili!
19%
Chili MUST have Beans!
28%
Chili Can have Beans.
28%
I go both ways.
26%

Total votes : 54

TAKE A STAND: Round 3 - Meat Chili

Postby chefshawn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 pm

What's the call, folks?

personally, i'm not from texas. i've only visited austin once, and for a short weekend, and chili was not a subject of discussion. granted, chile was, because i went to attend a hot sauce show/competition. other topics revolved around bbq, live music, joe's generic bar, and God bless college girls in summer dresses.

i am from alabama and tennessee, and i like beans in my chili. i also like my vegan bourbon black bean chili (as does jack daniel's, cuz they paid me a $1000 prize for it!). i do, however, like HEAT in my chili.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 3 - Meat Chili

Postby bigchz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:57 pm

It depends on it's use. If it's straight out of a bowl, I can go either way.

If I am making cilli cheese dogs(i'm from Wisc. I put cheese on almost everything :wink: ) then absolutely NO beans. :snooty:
Last edited by bigchz on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese is not a condiment, it is the ambrosial food group at the top of the Olympian food pinnacle.
Carla.
bigchz
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:58 pm

I go both ways. The Late Mister made an authentic TX chili that was to die for: no beans, no tomatoes, real beef cut into cubes (no hamburger); just reconstituted anchos (or other chiles when there were no anchos), garlic, onions - ingredients varied, but it was always wonderful. When I make it with hamburger, I usually use beans.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Not only beans but rice too. I'm no chili connoisseur though, I don't eat hot things, so I need things to make it more carby and less hot. Couldn't care less if anyone thinks it's correct or not.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:37 pm

I learned my chili recipe at Hooter's, of all places. Scenery aside, they make a damned fine bowl of red. I have, however, come up with some significant mods over the years.

The Hooter's recipe starts with shiatloads of bell pepper, onion and garlic sauteed in olive oil until tender. Then you add the chili powders and other spices and heat them Indian cuisine-style. After that, it's ground beef, beef stock, tomato sauce and dark red kidney beans among other things.

I add fresh and pickled jalapenos, with most of the seeds left in the pickled ones.

PROTIP: The more brown the juice from a can or jar of jalapenos, the hotter. The greener, the milder.

I also use a mixture of coarse ground sirloin, chuck and pork. Yes, pork. No, I won't tell you what proportion. You'll have to get me drunk.

Speaking of drunk, gotta have a beer in there for the same reason you add wine to spag sauce ... the old alcohol bringing the flavors out. Shiner Bock is sacred for this task.

Beans can happen or not happen. I'm not passionate about them. I make rice to go with mine, although Erin prefers saltines.

Naturally, I make a "heat neutered" batch for the boys and Erin. :) I'm not cruel.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby tj » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Beans. Grew up with 'em. Just habit, not a fightabout thing.

Last few years I have had a little fun keeping my eyes out for whatever beans were cheapest to add to the pantry. When chili time come thre might be four or five different kinds dumped in there. As a kid Mom used kidney beans, usually dark, but now you are liable to find that I have used dark or light red kidneys, pintos, navy beans, black beans or even blackeyed peas...whatever. Canned kidney beans are really best for thickening as they are pretty mushy.

The latest addition has been Penzey's chipotle powder and a splash of strong coffee.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:30 pm

bigchz wrote:It depends on it's use. If it's straight out of a bowl, I can go either way.

If I am making cilli cheese dogs(i'm from Wisc. I put cheese on almost everything :wink: ) then absolutely NO beans. :snooty:

This (except for the part about being from WI)
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Unknown Foodie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:

I add fresh and pickled jalapenos, with most of the seeds left in the pickled ones.

This is also my secret for kicking it up a notch. I add some of the pickling juice as well. I ordinarily add red beans, but if someone prefers no beans, I leave 'em out.
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:50 pm

What a bunch of rummies. Get this through your heads:

BEANS = NOT CHILI

Want beans? Serve them on the side.

There is no need to argue because whatever you say is wrong. No beans in chili, period, end of story. Just because a bunch of poor people in the Midwest bastardized what the Chili Queens did don't make it right. Justin Beiber is also popular, still don't make it right.

Keep this in mind: Show up in Terlingua with beans in your chili and you'll be swinging from the only tree. :twisted:
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Erin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Grovite wrote:Just because a bunch of poor people in the Midwest...

Well, my family was those "poor people in the Midwest" and we definitely put beans in our chili. I still do; the more the better: a big can of black beans and then the normal-sized cans of red beans, kidney beans, butter beans...it's what I grew up with and what I do myself to stretch my chili and make it taste good. Frankly, I couldn't care less if someone would consider how I make my chili "right" or not; that's my chili and I like it a lot.
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 am

Erin wrote:

Well, my family was those "poor people in the Midwest" and we definitely put beans in our chili. I still do; the more the better: a big can of black beans and then the normal-sized cans of red beans, kidney beans, butter beans...it's what I grew up with and what I do myself to stretch my chili and make it taste good. Frankly, I couldn't care less if someone would consider how I make my chili "right" or not; that's my chili and I like it a lot.

You tell 'em, Erin! :)

Grovite: The Norm of the chili thread.

:whistle:
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Norm357 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:56 am

Chef Mongo wrote:
Erin wrote:

You tell 'em, Erin! :)

Grovite: The Norm of the chili thread.

:whistle:

We are a small but vocal group. :whistle:
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 am

My chili almost always has beans.

Don't like it? Then don't eat it. More for me!
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Madalive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 am

If it has easily identifiable vegetation it’s not chili, it’s stew
Ethical concerns cannot overcome the siren’s lure of a triceratops ride.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby sadiedog » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:13 am

Since I don't like beans - no beans for me.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 am

Erin wrote:

My family was far from poor when we were in the midwest and we put beans in our chili. And macaroni too. Otherwise it's just hot dog sauce, or soup. Other than that ditto exactly, 1 can of black beans 1 can of kidney beans.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby vickatina » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 am

sadiedog wrote:Since I don't like beans - no beans for me.

This.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Grovite » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:00 am

Folks, if you like beans, you like beans. I love beans, but putting beans in chili no longer makes it chili, but a spicy bean stew that may or may not have meat in it. Names do matter. A few weeks back there was a thread about Eggs Benedict and if replacing various components still made it Eggs Benedict. I like the flavor of BocaBurgers, but I don't call them burgers because they're not. It is a nomenclature thing.

Suppose you set out to make Chicken Noodle Soup, but you are out of noodles and instead use rice. Ok, it happens. Then, you notice you're out of chicken but have some turkey, you throw in turkey. You have no chicken stock, so you use veggie stock. You just made a Turkey and Rice soup, and damn fine one at that, but by God, you made Chicken Noodle Soup because "that's my Chicken Noodle Soup and I like it a lot." (Sorry Erin, just using that as an example).

I would go in to a long history story, but I won't bore y'all...unless you want to hear it.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby lunanoir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 am

Chili without beans is just spicy beef stew.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:56 am

lunanoir wrote:Chili without beans is just spicy beef stew.

It is if you have no clue what you're doing.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Kamidanshir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:04 am

Grovite wrote:Suppose you set out to make Chicken Noodle Soup, but you are out of noodles and instead use rice. Ok, it happens. Then, you notice you're out of chicken but have some turkey, you throw in turkey. You have no chicken stock, so you use veggie stock. You just made a Turkey and Rice soup, and damn fine one at that, but by God, you made Chicken Noodle Soup because "that's my Chicken Noodle Soup and I like it a lot." (Sorry Erin, just using that as an example).

It's a fair point, but I think chili is one of those foods that has long since transcended its original recipe, subject to regional variations and personal preference, like barbeque or pizza. Now, just as with barbeque, there are competition variants that do hew to specific formulations, but that's just not the way most people cook on a daily basis. Hardly anyone outside of Texas is going to make the argument that putting beans in it means it's not chili anymore.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby Grovite » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 am

Kamidanshir wrote:
Grovite wrote:Suppose you set out to make Chicken Noodle Soup, but you are out of noodles and instead use rice. Ok, it happens. Then, you notice you're out of chicken but have some turkey, you throw in turkey. You have no chicken stock, so you use veggie stock. You just made a Turkey and Rice soup, and damn fine one at that, but by God, you made Chicken Noodle Soup because "that's my Chicken Noodle Soup and I like it a lot." (Sorry Erin, just using that as an example).

It's a fair point, but I think chili is one of those foods that has long since transcended its original recipe, subject to regional variations and personal preference, like barbeque or pizza. Now, just as with barbeque, there are competition variants that do hew to specific formulations, but that's just not the way most people cook on a daily basis. Hardly anyone outside of Texas is going to make the argument that putting beans in it means it's not chili anymore.

Very true. It is something that is near and dear to people from my area of the world. Just like Pizza as you pointed out. Ask a passionate person from New York about Chicago Deep Dish and you may have a fight on your hands, lol. Hell, all you have to do is cross a street in Philly to get in a fight about a Cheese Steak.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby okbye » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 am

IF YOU CHANGE ONE OF THE INGREDIENTS YOU HAVE TO CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Gipper » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 am

vickatina wrote:
sadiedog wrote:Since I don't like beans - no beans for me.

This.

+1
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:43 pm

It can go either way for me. I am not a chili purist by any means.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:48 pm

Here's food for thought: how come the dish is also known as chili con carne? Couldn't you also have chile con frijoles? :P

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby DitsyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm with Grovite on this one.
NO BEANS!
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby aslansavz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 pm

DitsyD wrote:I'm with Grovite on this one.
NO BEANS!

+ 1,000
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:18 pm

okbye wrote:IF YOU CHANGE ONE OF THE INGREDIENTS YOU HAVE TO CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me to it. :lol:

99% of the time, I am a strict no-beaner. However, I can definitely appreciate not only stretching the meat, but adding additional nutrition by adding beans - if I were to ever add beans to my chili, it would probably be a can of black beans.

But I probably wouldn't.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby eye4got » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm

I can't help but wonder what these cornbread/chili "purists" like on their pizzas.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Next

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!