[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 6 - Tacos

TAKE A STAND: Round 6 - Tacos

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

Taco Night!

Crunchy Corn Shell
30%
Soft Flour Tortilla Shell
17%
Hybrid (authentic soft corn, one of each, etc.)
53%

Total votes : 30

TAKE A STAND: Round 6 - Tacos

Postby chefshawn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:40 pm

After growing up on occasional trips to taco bell, and living in areas with very little "authentic" mexican food, i am more familiar with the american taco than anything else. i always preferred crunchy back then, because i considered it a test of culinary manipulation and self-control to bite off enough just right, without shattering the shells in my hands. i mainly order only crunchwrap supremes these days.

since that time, i've had every imaginable version, though, and i vastly prefer the authentic floppy corn tortilla with a spoon of filling, and various self-serve fresh chopped toppings...mmm, lengua!
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 6 - Tacos

Postby JeanC » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:47 pm

As I mentioned in the other thread, I much prefer my "Portuguese" fried tacos when it comes to crunchy tacos. I do like the authentic ones I get at our local Mexican restaurant as a change, but when I crave tacos, mine are what I want. I really do miss the taco truck tho.
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Sadly, my only experience is with crunchy, store-bought shells, but we put some dang good fillings in them.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Madalive » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Authentic soft corn, even the megamarts here have them
Ethical concerns cannot overcome the siren’s lure of a triceratops ride.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby Erin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Madalive wrote:Authentic soft corn, even the megamarts here have them

+1...I'd pick that if it were a real option. I don't consider soft corn tortillas a "hybrid," really - they were around before anything else. I like El Milagro the best.

I have been known to enjoy a crunchy corn shell from time to time but mostly I enjoy my tacos in soft corn, usually made by someone's abuelita in the mornings.
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm equal opportunity when it comes to tacos - sometimes I crave crunchy corn, sometimes soft flour, sometimes soft corn. I have to give a LOT of credit to one of our more authentic local Mexican places, Antojitos el Toril, which got me to like soft corn tortillas.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby aslansavz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:50 pm

beenie wrote:I'm equal opportunity when it comes to tacos - sometimes I crave crunchy corn, sometimes soft flour, sometimes soft corn.

+1
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:53 pm

beenie wrote:I'm equal opportunity when it comes to tacos - sometimes I crave crunchy corn, sometimes soft flour, sometimes soft corn. I have to give a LOT of credit to one of our more authentic local Mexican places, Antojitos el Toril, which got me to like soft corn tortillas.

+2

I like all kinds of filings too. Beef, chicken, fish, shrimp, goat, tongue, etc. I really do prefer the soft corn tortillas, but dang it, sometimes I just want the crunchy. But, because they tend to break on me and I end up eating them with a fork, I prefer just to put taco fixin's on tortilla chips.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Unknown Foodie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 pm

I prefer the corn and I fry 'em up myself so that they become puffy taco's. 375 degree peanut oil for about 15 seconds each side and you get a semi crunchy shell that doesn't break apart when you bite into it. A little crunchy and a little chewy.
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Madalive wrote:Authentic soft corn, even the megamarts here have them

I find it hard to vote when "real" corn tortilla tacos, small & 2 tortillas per filling/serving, are not an option. That's what a taco is, to me.
Except I always ask for mas cebollas y CILANTRO!! :lol:

Though as Mongo found out the hard way, editing your poll choices will screw up the votes already made.
Tacos, i.e., "hybrid, soft corn tortilla tacos," ARE tacos & I wish they had been an option.
To me, they are the "authentic."
Last edited by carla on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kristina » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Depends on the taco. I usually go for soft flour, but our favorite Mexican restaurant (Shawn has been there!) has crunchy flour tortillas and they are truly awesome. They also have tacos de azada, and those are traditional soft corn tortillas. MMMMMMMMM.
". . . the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world are the ones who do."

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw.
-Havelock Ellis

When people say "I'm not a prude, but..." what they mean is "I am a prude, and..." -John Cleese
Kristina
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm

For me, flour tortilla = burrito.
corn tortilla = taco.

Burritos can be massive.
Tacos never are.

I use both for quesadillas, but usually corn. I love the flavor of corn tortillas; I love the spaciousness of flour tortillas.
Then there's the dessert quesadilla of butter, sugar & canela (cinnamon). I use flour tortillas sauteed in buttah.

Deep fried (AKA "crunchy") corn tortillas filled w/something & rolled = taquitos.

Deep fried (AKA "crunchy") flour tortillas filled w/lots (like a burrito) & rolled = flautas.

Just gimme!! All good.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:08 am

Don't eat tacos. I don't have anything against them but I would never choose one over real food. :P
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby koshersalty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Unknown Foodie wrote:I prefer the corn and I fry 'em up myself so that they become puffy taco's. 375 degree peanut oil for about 15 seconds each side and you get a semi crunchy shell that doesn't break apart when you bite into it. A little crunchy and a little chewy.

puffy tacos rock.
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 pm

If I'm looking for comfort food, then it's the hard shell Taco Bell.
But, if I'm looking for amazingly tasty food, then it's the soft handmade corn tortilla's from La Chicita with bisteak, cilantro and cebollas.

Yum!
/red robin
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I like the crunchy type. Like Carla, I associate flour tortillas with burritos.

It should be noted, I came late to the party when it concerns ethnic food (well, Chinese and Mexican, anyway).
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Fish tacos on warm, soft, flour tortillas. nomnomnomnomnom
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I left out how much I adore "american" crunchy tacos with ground beef. But I don't eat at Taco Hell; it just doesn't do it for me. Locally, and for many decades, Rose's makes really good tex-mex or americanized Mexican, and they have ground beef tacos made with freshly fried corn tortillas. Haven't been there in many months though. Tried in Dec. '09; they were on a month-long vacation and I haven't been back.
The authentic taqueria is in my neighborhood, inexpensive and delicious. Mmmm, goat. Cabeza.

Barb, you are so missing out. More for the rest of us, though tacos are not exactly scarce! You xenophobic eater, you. :D
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 am

carla wrote:
Barb, you are so missing out. More for the rest of us, though tacos are not exactly scarce! You xenophobic eater, you. :D

I eat Mexican food, but if I'm in a place that serves it the last thing I'm going to order is a taco. It's like McDonald's level to me, food would have to be really, really scarce for me to choose it.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Kristina » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 pm

okbye wrote:
carla wrote:

I eat Mexican food, but if I'm in a place that serves it the last thing I'm going to order is a taco. It's like McDonald's level to me, food would have to be really, really scarce for me to choose it.

I agree with you to some degree: I rarely order a taco if I go to a Mexican restaurant. There's so much stuff that's infinitely more interesting to me. We go to our Mexican place about once a week (it's sooooo cheap) and I sometimes get a taco as part of a combo.
". . . the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world are the ones who do."

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw.
-Havelock Ellis

When people say "I'm not a prude, but..." what they mean is "I am a prude, and..." -John Cleese
Kristina
Admiral Briner

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!