[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 13 - Sammich Bread

TAKE A STAND: Round 13 - Sammich Bread

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

Your sammich bread of choice?

White
18%
Wheat
33%
Other
48%

Total votes : 33

TAKE A STAND: Round 13 - Sammich Bread

Postby chefshawn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Simple enough question, I suppose.

Personally, I prefer 100% whole grain when I can get it, and maybe even the occasional ezekial bread. I like my bread to be as hearty as possible.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 13 - Sammich Bread

Postby jsp » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Oooo! OOOoo! OOOoooo! :D (so glad you asked this question!! )

This is the only bread I'll buy anymore - only discovered it after moving to Oregon - it's made nearby, and has totally spoiled me for "store bought" breads:

There's a story behind all this of course - you'll find it also on the website, which tells all about their offerings:
http://www.daveskillerbread.com/21wglight.shtml

I understand they've broadened availability now into CA, NV, Idaho and Washington - (AZ???) - anyway, if you're ever in the area, check the Winco's and Costco's for it, also Fred Meyers I think - even Safeway has it here now -- I usually buy it from Costco... dang good stuff - if you can find it, absolutely give it a try! The Blues Buns are marvelous, especially with BBQ, the SinDawgs are great as a treat - the Peace Bombs are fun too, especially for appetizer purposes, etc. -

I'm with ya on the whole grain and hearty Shawn -- that's why I checked other... at the time I participated, there wasn't an option for that beyond "wheat" :wink: :lol: (Seriously - thanks for this! I've been meaning to mention about this stuff for a while now, only never got around to it - LOL!)
Deep Breath. Say it with me, people: "I do NOT need burgundy velvet bows." *exhale*...
- Carolyn Shepard, in Tough Love, Charlotte Taste, Holiday 2005/2006 (emphasis mine)
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous
jsp
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: still trying to figure that out... but I think I like it here!

Postby Butterbean » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:48 pm

I voted "other", since it doesn't matter so much to me & depends on what's in the sammich, as long as the bread is decent. This is ironic, since when I was a kid, I complained to my mom about her using Pepperidge Farm & Arnold's bread; all the kids at school had sammies with Wonderbread :oops: .

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Depends on what's on the sandwich.
For ham, corned beef or cheese: pumpernickel or seedless rye.
For roast beef: white (French or Italian) or hard roll.
For salad (chicken, shrimp, tuna, etc.): wheat.
For smoked fish: bagel

...but, as usual, I agree with Buerre; It's gotta be good bread.
Nothing mystifies me more than a deli that will serve you 1/2 pound
of excellent meat on stale bread. :x

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Marz Epan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:09 pm

I love bread which is why I chose other. We're trying to do more whole grains in the bread department but I'm partial to rye as well as almost anything that has a good crust and a nice chewiness to it.

My only exception is for peanut butter and jelly. That needs to be on white bread (brand doesn't matter).
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Marz Epan wrote:My only exception is for peanut butter and jelly. That needs to be on white bread (brand doesn't matter).

Anyone ever eat PB&J on rye? It's surprisingly good.

I unthinkingly chose wheat. I adore Oroweat brand Honey Wheat Berry; it's my go-to bread -- when on sale. Sourdough! (San Luis Sourdough rosemary and olive oil. Huh, I didn't know Sara Lee bought them.) French rolls. Rye, on the lighter, less intense side of the rye scale.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby n8urebabe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:13 am

Generally, I like white bread for my sandwiches.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 am

carla wrote:
Marz Epan wrote:My only exception is for peanut butter and jelly. That needs to be on white bread (brand doesn't matter).

Anyone ever eat PB&J on rye? It's surprisingly good.

I unthinkingly chose wheat. I adore Oroweat brand Honey Wheat Berry; it's my go-to bread -- when on sale. Sourdough! (San Luis Sourdough rosemary and olive oil. Huh, I didn't know Sara Lee bought them.) French rolls. Rye, on the lighter, less intense side of the rye scale.

I'll have to try the rye thing. I'll be making some rhubarb strawberry jam later this week. That sounds like it would work nicely with rye.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:28 am

I voted "wheat" because that's the closest to my preference, though it's not entirely accurate. Multigrain is more my speed. At the same time, I often appreciate a good sourdough, potato bread, or olive bread, all of which would be considered "white." So, I guess I'll also have to go with the write-in winner, "depends on the sandwich." :D
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:31 am

Potato bread or English muffin bread.

That is if you can get me to eat a regular cold sandwich. I am not such a fan. The exception to this are open faced, melty sandwiches and the roast beef, vegetable or hummus bagel sandwiches I can get at the bagel shop. I am so addicted to those damn things.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:00 am

What, no sourdough love?
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby fizzviic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:01 am

I voterd for "other". The other of course being sourdough, unless it is a flour tortilla.
Please, no poopin' on the poop deck!
No fishin' in snark infested waters, please!
fizzviic
Grand High Poobah Admiral of The Oceans Deep and All the Ships a Sea

Postby tj » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Wel, I suppose I should admit to wheat. It really is the default. What I really like is something with flavor and texture. Wheat is the doctor-decreed If You Have To Eat Bread bread. Multi-grains are good and the occasional piece of sourdough or other chewy white is a real treat. Bagels are a no-no, dammit.

As for the peanut butter. Try it on pumpernickel. Yum.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:53 pm

also baloney...with american cheese, and mayo
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby carla » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:54 am

Slamdunkpro wrote:What, no sourdough love?

carla & nola like sourdough. Fizz too.
I guess people don't want to expand upon their "other"s.
And maybe like Fizz, I eat as many burritos & quesadillas as I do sandwiches. Probably more, so I agree with the tortilla mention.

Shawn, I buy bologna once or twice a year for sandwiches. I love it with lots of mayo, mustard & lettuce, though I've given up on the iceberg.
I don't think I ever ate much white bread, I still have my bologna samiches on wheat bread. I know for a fact that no loaf of polka-dotted wonder bread has ever crossed a threshold in the house I grew up in. :P

Threadjack:
... and if you ask me why I saaay --
Cuz Oscar Mayer has a way
with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.

Does how we spell baloney/bologna have to do with our age & the commercials we watched as kids? :P
I still say "borgasmord"... :oops: (Good thing I do it on purpose.)
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby LucyLu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:11 pm

I voted other because when I eat bread, I like seeded bread!!!
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 am

other: lettuce (ideally butter lettuce but romane or iceburg will do in a pinch).

(wheat-flour based breads only hurt me and gluten-free bread is expensive and not nearly tasty enough to justify the cost)
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!