[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

How do you like your breakfast eggs?

sunny up
6%
over easy
29%
over medium
15%
over well
2%
scrambled soft (wet)
8%
scrambled hard (dry)
17%
omelet
6%
poached
2%
basted
6%
boiled
No votes
hatched, raised on a grain-fed diet, killed, cut into 8 pieces, marinated in buttermilk and hot sauce, dredged, and deep-fried
6%
other
2%

Total votes : 48

TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

Postby chefshawn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:29 pm

I was inspired. I'm a huge fan of my local farmer's eggs, and i take em sunny up. i've taken to john besh's method of preparation from a bit he did in men's health magazine:

butter a cold skillet with the end of a stick of cold butter. place skillet over low heat and crack desired number of eggs into it. leave it the hell alone until you cant see the skillet through the whites, then season to taste. serve when the whites are juuuuuust fully set. i dont recall if he mentioned if the skillet was nonstick, but mine is.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

Postby tj » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:01 pm

But why can't I have my eggs more than one way?

I like 'em different ways at different times.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm with tj. One option is unreasonable. Over medium, soft-scrambled, omelete.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby sadiedog » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:45 pm

I like my eggs scrambled for the most part.
I will eat an over easy egg if I'm gonna stir it into grits. The whites still have to be cooked all the way though.

NO SNOT.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Usually, over easy.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:29 am

I agree with the others. When it comes to eggs, you need to be able to vote for more than one. While I voted for scrambled eggs (wet), I like them all different ways, depending on what's accompanying them.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:09 am

basted in bacon fat please.
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby DanC » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:28 am

i'm an over easy guy, but I too like eggs in many forms...

I like Julia Child's (i think) scrambled... she adds the cream at the end.

I shall try the Besh method.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:35 am

one of these days...there's gonna be a poll that no one bitches about...i can FEEL it.

how do you want your NEXT eggs?

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Myrealana » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:06 am

Over medium - with wheat toast to soak up the yolk.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:11 am

I'm gonna write in my vote for "My preference depends on my mood but any of the ways listed will do"
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am

Yes.

ETA: When I was young and feeling less than 100%, my mom would sometimes make me breakfast with soft-boiled eggs (straight from our hen house) and toast. They were yummmmmmmy.
Last edited by Jules on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:29 am

^
Basically this.
Yolks must be runny, but I also like soft scrambled and a gently cooked omelette. And hard-boiled. (well, medium-boiled).
I chose the basted. Tried it on a whim years ago by slipping an ice cube into the covered pan.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Pam T » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I voted for over-easy; whites cooked, yolk runny

But, really, it depends on what part of the country I am in.
In Illinois, it is over-easy.
Here in Washington state it is over medium.
Over-easy is runny whites; yucky!

If I don't have toast to sop up the yolks, I'll make soft scrambled.

Preferably with bacon grease and/or butter, please.
Man does not live by words alone,
though sometimes he has to eat them.

<")
_(()____
.. ""\\

Pam T
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Catherine » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:14 pm

as long as they are not dry, anything... I LOOOOVVVE runny yolks. mmmmmmmmm
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm

chefshawn wrote:one of these days...there's gonna be a poll that no one bitches about...i can FEEL it.

That's just gas.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:56 pm

I like different styles depending on my mood, but chose omelet because that tends to be my favorite preparation in general. Specifically, I like frittata-like dishes. You must try the following:

1. Beat eggs with loads of chopped parsley, minced shallots (onions will do just fine as well), S&P to taste, or give it all a whir in a food processor. Using generous amounts of olive oil, make omelets out of that mixture (or, as I prefer, cook them over medium-high heat in a smaller-diameter pan until the bottom is golden-brown and crisp, then flip and brown the other side -- product will have a crisp "crust" and a soft, fluffy interior). Yes, the eggs will be green (especially if you use the food processor), but absolutely delicious.

2. In olive oil, brown up some diced onions and diced eggplant (you definitely want to get color on them, because that's where the flavor is). Pour beaten eggs on top, and continue the frittata process.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Gipper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Am I the only one that didn't have a hard time with this? I won't eat eggs that aren't scrambled. (Omelets, to me, are not a separate category, they're just fancy scrambled eggs.)
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bigchz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:39 pm

sadiedog wrote:NO SNOT.

But, but,I just LOVE dipping my toast in egg SNOT. MMM... 8)
Cheese is not a condiment, it is the ambrosial food group at the top of the Olympian food pinnacle.
Carla.
bigchz
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby Charlene » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 pm

Cheez-Wiz wrote: basted in bacon fat please.

My Grampy called that fried. Over medium please :)

I like to cook them this way because I can baste the top (never heard of it called that... but it fits, just make sure you have the heat up high enough :oops: ) and I don't have to flip it, cause I suck at flipping eggs....

Anyway, I attempted to make basted eggs for John and I for breakfast last week and he wouldn't eat them because all the grease grossed him out... LOL It didn't help that I didn't have the heat up high enough.... Besides, he's a snob because he can flip them gently and perfectly with a flick of the wrist. (rassumfrassumrassumfrassum) No matter how hard I try, I can't do it properly. Need more years of training I guess :?

C
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm

bigchz wrote:

Even as a fried egg is ruined for me if the yolk is overcooked, I fully agree with sadiedog -- NO EGG WHITE SNOT. ("Snot" is uncooked egg white, not yolk.)
I spread the white out, or cut them off & flip them, with a spatula as the eggs cook to ensure the white is hardened while the yolks are not.

I hope someone posts a good photo of the Peter Petrie Egg Separator...
Isn't this Shawn's favorite toy?

This will have to do for now:
http://www.prankplace.com/product.aspx? ... =2305&c=83
Thus the "snot" reference. :P
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Charlene wrote:Anyway, I attempted to make basted eggs for John and I for breakfast last week and he wouldn't eat them because all the grease grossed him out... LOL It didn't help that I didn't have the heat up high enough.... Besides, he's a snob because he can flip them gently and perfectly with a flick of the wrist. (rassumfrassumrassumfrassum) No matter how hard I try, I can't do it properly. Need more years of training I guess :?

I flip with a spatula, but I honestly prefer my eggs basted with butter and/or olive oil, just because it's a more delicate flavor. (I don't flip. I gently "turn." :D)
I think basted eggs require water/steam? That's my take on the technique.

Oh, does this sound good (I've never used anything but water, atop the butter and/or olive oil):

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/40 ... basted-egg

Perhaps the most miss understood preparation of eggs is the Basted Egg. Requesting basted eggs is a little like being a tea drinker in the USA. If you are a tea drinker and request tea either with breakfast or after dinner, you
know what I mean. The system is not designed to handle such requests. If you go with the system you could have 6 cups off coffee by the time one cup of tea arrives! And refills? Forget it..... and so you are prepared to understand the problems associated with ordering a basted egg. I am
putting this blog together so others might find it when they type basted egg into a search engine and bring this most divine way of serving natures perfect protein to a new group of chefs that have never learned the method.

The basted egg starts like most, with the chicken, but we will move forward to the kitchen. Get a fry pan out, one that has a good lid to fit it, and hit it will some butter. Bring it up on medium high heat. And let the butter melt.

Once you have the fat up to temperature you want to crack some whole shell eggs into it. Sans the shells of course. If the temperature is correct the whites should start to change immediately.

Little salt and fresh ground pepper. If you like a yolk thicker, pierce the top of the yolk with a toothpick. Or a paring knife tip. Once the bottom has set and the white is getting nice and bright, add 3 Tbsp of basting liquid. Today I used chicken broth. Give the fry pan a shake
or two to get the water moved to all parts of the pan.

Through [throw] the cover on it. The steam and oil/water reaction is going to splatter the fat everywhere. And create a great amount of steam. This will serve to softly cook the top of the egg. No flipping and no rubbery egg white. Then you just monitor to your perfect level of "cooked" remove and serve.

And that my friends is the way to baste and egg. Great on their own, great on top a nice group of corn beef hash, excellent on top fried taters with green chili! Just an all round great way to prepare the wonderful EGG!

'til we talk again... break out the fry pan and baste an egg or two... you won't believe how nice an egg can taste!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I like mine over easy, preferably served atop a bed of freshly browned corned beef hash.

I just discovered that Erin has NEVER had corned beef hash.

This must be remedied posthaste.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby bigchz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 pm

bigchz wrote:

I must clarify. I LOVE the YELLOW egg SNOT with the toast, not the WHITE SNOT, now that's just GROSS.
Cheese is not a condiment, it is the ambrosial food group at the top of the Olympian food pinnacle.
Carla.
bigchz
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby JeanC » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 pm

For me, sunny side up, slightly snotty, preferably fried in bacon grease, if not, butter. I will eat them scrambled, but they have to be loaded with cheese and crumbled bacon or sausage.
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Poached.

Poached and served with Canadian bacon and cooked spinach on a toasted English muffin, all slathered in Hollandaise saucy goodness. Mmmmmm......

Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:32 pm

carla wrote:I hope someone posts a good photo of the Peter Petrie Egg Separator...
Isn't this Shawn's favorite toy?

This will have to do for now:
http://www.prankplace.com/product.aspx? ... =2305&c=83
Thus the "snot" reference. :P

um, no. that thing's awful. i think it's kinsley's favorite...or maybe it was al's

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby koshersalty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Put me in the Check Box over Radio Button field.

My kids and I call them "dippy eggs" which in my house is somewhere just past over easy. 1/2 of each slice of toast is used for dipping up the yolk, and the other is used to support the 'carcass' in a half sammich kind of way.

Of course they should be cooked in butter or bacon fat.

And under no circumstances should a spatula be used...or fercrissakes, Mrs. Salty, should water be introduced to the pan to 'steam' the eggs.

an 8" nonstick commercial (Vollrath?) pan (with the blue rubber handle cover) makes the wrist flip easy.
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Bubbles_Meg » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:13 am

Another vote for being allowed more than one choice. I really need my eggs to be cooked through. I can tolerate an over-medium egg if the white is completely cooked. Other than bananas, undercooked eggs are my one big food turn-off. It's been bad enough at times that if I get "suprised" by undercooked egg, I'm done eating for the meal. Doesn't matter what else you put in front of me. :oops:
Bubbles_Meg
Ensign Briner

Postby chefshawn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:32 am

i made a huge pot of hot dog chili on monday, and skimmed the fat off the top. for some reason, i kept this fat, and fried a couple of eggs in it this morning. it was not good. i think the coriander in the chili made it great for dogs, but terrible for juevos, ranchero style.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Next

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!