[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

How do you like your breakfast eggs?

sunny up
6%
over easy
29%
over medium
15%
over well
2%
scrambled soft (wet)
8%
scrambled hard (dry)
17%
omelet
6%
poached
2%
basted
6%
boiled
No votes
hatched, raised on a grain-fed diet, killed, cut into 8 pieces, marinated in buttermilk and hot sauce, dredged, and deep-fried
6%
other
2%

Total votes : 48

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 14 - Breakfast Eggs

Postby zoomzoom » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 am

The kid in me still likes them thrown at cars.
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid.
zoomzoom
Official Board Scrat

Postby carla » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 pm

chefshawn wrote:i made a huge pot of hot dog chili on monday, and skimmed the fat off the top. for some reason, i kept this fat, and fried a couple of eggs in it this morning. it was not good. i think the coriander in the chili made it great for dogs, but terrible for juevos, ranchero style.

What is hot dog chili? What kind of hot dogs did you use? And how many?! :shock:

I discovered I have a low tolerance for dogs because the salt overwhelms any other flavor. I still have half a package of Hebrew Nat'l beef dogs in the freezer. They'll end up in beenie weenies when I next get the craving, so I can enjoy salty sweet with tons of brown mustard added.

From your post, Shawn, it does seem the huevos would be tasty. Too bad it didn't work out.

Coriander killed the eggs, huh? I got a close-out bottle of dried cilantro for a buck; I intend to hydrate some in scrambled eggs & cheese headed for a breakfast burrito. Or maybe try it in pretend easy (dare I say Ho-Made?!) pozole, broth with canned hominy, veg, chili & herbage, chicken or pork & whatever else gets thrown in. Hmm. That sounds like a decent pantry dinner.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby haleoalau » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:15 pm

carla wrote:
chefshawn wrote:i made a huge pot of hot dog chili on monday, and skimmed the fat off the top. for some reason, i kept this fat, and fried a couple of eggs in it this morning. it was not good. i think the coriander in the chili made it great for dogs, but terrible for juevos, ranchero style.

What is hot dog chili? What kind of hot dogs did you use? And how many?! :shock:

I'm presuming Shawn meant chili intended for topping hot dogs. But if I'm wrong - it sounds like a little back story is order!
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:43 pm

haleoalau wrote:
carla wrote:

I'm presuming Shawn meant chili intended for topping hot dogs. But if I'm wrong - it sounds like a little back story is order!

Aaaah!! (slaps head.) Thanks haleoalau! (Nope, definitely not common in my neck of the woods. And our most recent hot dog joint closed before I got there. I'm sure I would love a chili dog, but it's not at the top of my places to get to in town. The new fish & chips joint run by a Brit couple, which uses line-caught Alaskan cod [just color me Californian], IS, for both me and dad. Supposedly they have haggis on the menu, though I assume it's a low-key sausage that merely contains oatmeal, though one never knows.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Chef Mongo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Hot dog chili is to proper chili as a ribeye steak is to a tofu dog.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby chefshawn » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:16 am

yeah, the hot dog chili in question goes on the dogs, rather than them going into the chili. however, if i find myself out of buns later on...

the recipe was sent to me via seriouseats.com weekly newsletter
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 am

Chef Mongo wrote:Hot dog chili is to proper chili as a ribeye steak is to a tofu dog.

correct. this was definitely a condiment ONLY
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby zoomzoom » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 am

Why would you put condoms on a hot dog?

OH! I get it!! :D
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid.
zoomzoom
Official Board Scrat

Postby Rachel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:43 am

....with potatoes. and ceyanne pepper.
R.
Rachel
Admiral Briner

Postby koshersalty » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:Hot dog chili is to proper chili as a ribeye steak is to a tofu dog.

Yes, but to clarify that "hot dog chili" is not necessarily a bad thing:

In the Detroit area, there is a special "chili" that is used for Coney Islands. It's more of a sauce than a chili. It is the brown love that elevates the humble Koegel dog to the highest incarnation of the hot dog arts.
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 pm

I was referring specifically to the crap that's sold in grocery stores here under brand names like Bunker Hill as "hot dog chili." It's disgusting.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Previous

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!