[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 15 - Salt and Pepper

TAKE A STAND: Round 15 - Salt and Pepper

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

To Shake, or Not To Shake? (pick up to two)

i have and regularly use my salt and pepper shakers
4%
salt shaker only
9%
pepper shaker only
No votes
i prefer my kosher salt cup/bowl/dish and grinder, thank you
52%
i season my food before i sit down to eat
30%
other
4%

Total votes : 23

TAKE A STAND: Round 15 - Salt and Pepper

Postby chefshawn » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:40 am

Do you use salt and pepper shakers?

I'm specifically referring to the ones with fine iodized salt and fine pre-ground pepper.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 15 - Salt and Pepper

Postby Butterbean » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:59 am

I have a salt shaker (with fine iodized sea salt) on the table with a brass pepper mill; in the kitchen, I use a kosher salt tub & big Magnum pepper grinder, (also some fancy salts for special use).

ETA: Per Sadie's post, I realized the only pre-ground pepper in the house is white pepper for certain applications.
Last edited by Butterbean on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:36 am

Similar to Butterbean.

I cook with kosher salt from the tub and there is a salt shaker on the table. Around here all pepper is ground to order.

The main reason there is a salt shaker is roomie, who salts everything before tasting. Some day, I'm gonna...

Does anyone taste a big difference in ground salt?
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 am

We don't have any on the table. I have kosher and fine salt for cooking. I have black pepper in a grinder (actually 2 of those) that I use for cooking that occasionally gets to the table.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:34 am

Pre-ground pepper has no place in my house...ever.

I cook with kosher salt and have non-iodized table salt in shaker. We have Tellicherry peppercorns in a grinder. I tend to make my dishes seasoned to our tastes so we don't need to add more of either.

I hated using black pepper until I realized that it was the pre-ground pepper (aka dirt) that I couldn't stand. Tellicherry peppercorns are absolutely delicious.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby JeanC » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Got my salt dish with kosher salt and I grind enough pepper to have on had for a week or so in a shaker I have.
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!