[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Items you would like to see reviewed.

Items you would like to see reviewed.

Here you'll find tutorials, how-to's, gear discussions and everything you need to make your kitchen a well-oiled machine.

Moderators: Grovite, Slamdunkpro

Items you would like to see reviewed.

Postby Grovite » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Let's get a list going of items you would like to see featured and tested.

It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest thing out there, it could be something as simple as a spatula.

It would be great to test out some products that CI/ATK and other publications tend to glance over.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Unknown Foodie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Grovite wrote:

It would be great to test out some products that CI/ATK and other publications tend to glance over.

One of my pet peves is that CI/ATK doesn't do their homework when it comes to local specialty foods. Bacon and cheese's for instance. We have had several debates on this board about sharp cheddar. Most everyone here seems to have a favorite. CI/ATK just buy what they can find around Boston. They are fans of Cabot but never tested Widmers or Tillamook. Widmer's cheeses took more 1st places in the annual cheese competition for sharp cheddar than did Cabot or Tillamook. I like all three but Widmer's is my slight favorite.
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby repmogirl » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:14 pm

I really want a full size Food Processor

How big of one do I need?

What brand? Cusiniart? KitchenAid? Something else?

What kind of add ons do I need?
I've been kissed by Pixie!

"Al tavola non s'invecchia mai"
repmogirl
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nurho83 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:39 am

Oh heck yeah! So glad to see this section open up. Some things I've been looking to purchase but just haven't made a decision on are:

toaster oven
scales
Electric Kettle
Waffle Iron
Electric skillet
Crock pot
knife magnet strip.
nurho83
Captain Briner

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:23 am

Let's toss in some:

Burr Grinders
Coffee makers (drip, french press, espresso, sanseo....)
Immersion Blenders
Pepper Mills

On the food front:

Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Franks, Crystal.....)
Salsa
Maple Syrup
Cinnamon
Vanilla (bean, extract, imitation)
Curry Powders
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby fizzviic » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:20 am

I'll play!

I've got a ginormous KA food processor. What I want most is an itsy-bitsy one for light jobs when I don't want to drag out the industrial model.

I used to have a little Oster. Loved it. It died!
Please, no poopin' on the poop deck!
No fishin' in snark infested waters, please!
fizzviic
Grand High Poobah Admiral of The Oceans Deep and All the Ships a Sea

Postby jackiecat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:28 am

Vinegars (not just balsamic please) I have a pantry full of different types and would love to know what each type is best suited for and what are the best brands of wine vinegars.
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Painaxl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't read CI (I know, heresy) so I don't know if they cover it, but I'd really like to see ratings on vacuum sealing food saver-type dealies. There seem to be several models and I have no idea what the differences are.
Painaxl
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Cookware!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Pressure cookers.

I'm thinking about gettin' one.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby koshersalty » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:35 pm

knife sharpening implements.

Gotta +1 on food processors

Coffee Makers

Pepper mills

I'd love to see a comparison of various things we hold sacred (like penzeys vanilla vs. mega-mart brands)

BBQ Grills
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 pm

I'm currently hunting a new grill - I'll take copious notes.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:46 am

koshersalty wrote:knife sharpening implements.

Come to think of it, a knife-sharpening tutorial would be nice too.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Okay, we have tongs out of the way and peelers are going to be the next items reviewed.

I actually buy all the items reviewed so some of the larger, more expensive items might take me a bit longer to get too, food processors would be a good example.

I have used a ton of them(food processors), but I only own two, a KitchenAid and a Black & Decker. I can tell you that a Robot Coupe (MagiMix) is the best out there from personal experience followed by the current generation of KAs.

I can also tell you that the newest generation of Cuisinarts are pieces of garbage and that you are better off keeping the 20 year old paddle control model you currently have.

Coffee Makers too. Cookware and Knives will be easy becasue, well, I own everything :P

I like the food ideas and rest assured those will be covered too.

And hey, if you want to do a review, get with me and SDP and we'll get rolling.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby todd » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:11 pm

nolafoodie wrote:
koshersalty wrote:knife sharpening implements.

Come to think of it, a knife-sharpening tutorial would be nice too.

I am with you! ^^^ :wink:
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kaliena » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:27 am

Ice cream makers, especially if you rate the kitchenaid attachment against stand alone models.
Kaliena
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Kaliena wrote:Ice cream makers, especially if you rate the kitchenaid attachment against stand alone models.

CI did it. They recommended the Cuisinart, KA attachment, and Hamilton Beach.

Their big difference between the KA and Cuisinart is that the KA makes a very light, airy product that was a little too airy for some testers, while the Cuisinart made a denser ice cream that had a better, smoother texture (fewer ice crystals) than the airier stuff after a couple days in the freezer.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby repmogirl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:29 pm

I need a new potato masher. Is there a difference?

I have a food mill, but sometimes it just seems like a lot of trouble and sometimes I want my potatoes a little lumpy

"Al tavola non s'invecchia mai"
repmogirl
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 am

Can we get a review of cutting/chopping/carving boards?

First off, what's the difference between these types of boards? Carving boards typically have juice grooves, which seem to come in handy, but would it be a bad thing if I used a carving board for regular cutting/chopping? Or are carving boards too thin to be used for everyday tasks that would wear down the surface, requiring sanding. If I want to invest in one really good, large board, what should it be?

Second, what are the differences in materials? I think we all have a good understanding of wood vs. plastic, but what about types of wood (maple, cherry, walnut, teak) and bamboo? And what about grain direction (edge vs. end) -- is there any kind of wood or bamboo for which that sort of thing doesn't matter?

Finally, what's in a name? Are John Boos boards that much better than the rest, or are no-name brands just as good?

Thanks!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Re: Items you would like to see reviewed.

Postby Dana » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Maybe my idea is better suited for just a thread in the general.
But, I thought I'd ask here.

I'm searching for PartyFlavor's Camping thread - with all the great food and pics he made a couple of year sago. So far I don't see it. Hopefully it didn't get purged.

Could we maybe do something on camping food techniques and menu suggestions?

Anyone can toss food into a pot and call it chili...
But, just like the difference between sauteing and sweating, I'm sure there are important differences between good campfire food and amazing campfire food.

I'm not necessarily talking truffles and fru-fru. I'm talking flavor that goes on and on...or tricks of convenience, camp prep, etc.

Also, I bet there are tricks of the trade in terms of freezer packing, keeping things to temp, etc. I'd love to learn from you guys.

The dear boyfriend says he knows his way around a dutch oven. (We'll see :wink: )
Thanks.
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Ice cream maker.
I'd like to put one on my registry.
Are they pretty much all the same?
We used to have a thread...poof!
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ghenne » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Dana wrote:Ice cream maker.

I've been looking into ice cream makers and have investigated quite a lot, asked a lot of folks, and the consensus says this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20- ... =8-1-spell
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:50 pm

ghenne wrote:
Dana wrote:Ice cream maker.

I've been looking into ice cream makers and have investigated quite a lot, asked a lot of folks, and the consensus says this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20- ... =8-1-spell
Thanks Lisa :)
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 am

Coffee makers.

I originally has this one on my list.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-120 ... B00005IBX9

But, reading the comments, it appears there's a high pitched alarm that goes off when the coffee is done. And, you can't disable that feature. (I will be going to work hours before Tim...why wake him.)

I'm looking for a 12 or + cup, programmable timer, coffee maker.
:dance:
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Dana wrote:Coffee makers.

I originally has this one on my list.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-120 ... B00005IBX9

But, reading the comments, it appears there's a high pitched alarm that goes off when the coffee is done. And, you can't disable that feature. (I will be going to work hours before Tim...why wake him.)

I'm looking for a 12 or + cup, programmable timer, coffee maker.
:dance:

I have that coffee maker and yes it does beep when the coffee is done. It beeps about 4 or 5 times and then it stops. My hubby gets up around 5 in the morning and I never hear it go off. I only know about the beeps because I make coffee for my daughter when she gets up. Unless Tim is a very light sleeper or in the same room, it probably won't bother him.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 pm

n8urebabe wrote:I have that coffee maker and yes it does beep when the coffee is done. It beeps about 4 or 5 times and then it stops. My hubby gets up around 5 in the morning and I never hear it go off. I only know about the beeps because I make coffee for my daughter when she gets up. Unless Tim is a very light sleeper or in the same room, it probably won't bother him.
Wonderful! (There was a review on Amazon that panned it. So, I was afraid it beeped incessantly or was crazy loud.) Thanks for the info!
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to GEFP College Of Knowledge