[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Product Review 1: Tongs (Updated, New #1!)

Product Review 1: Tongs (Updated, New #1!)

Here you'll find tutorials, how-to's, gear discussions and everything you need to make your kitchen a well-oiled machine.

Moderators: Grovite, Slamdunkpro

Product Review 1: Tongs (Updated, New #1!)

Postby Grovite » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:07 pm

Let's kick this off with a review of a product that we all use, tongs.

I bought eight different sets of tongs, each about 12" with a price range from $8.50 to $28.00. All of the tongs were picked up at Sur La Table, but they are easy to find at any good cooks/kitchen store, housewares store or restaurant supply store.

A few of the tests I conducted were turning sausage patties, serving pasta, frying chicken and grabbing stuff from the top shelf.

Some of the tongs that I tested featured silicone or plastic tips, which are great for those of you who use non-stick cookware.

To go along with the overall theme of our board, I’m using Salt Cellars to rate the products.

Here we go:

Edlund 11” Stainless Steel Tongs $10.95
    Best of the bunch! They are American made, comfortable, have a simple locking mechanism and scalloped heads that grip well. Who said fancy and expensive is better? Best buy!
    Messermeister 12” Silicone Locking Tongs $15.00
    The other number one! I had been looking for these Messermeister tongs for some time and was thrilled when I found them. These have the best silicone tips I have ever seen. Great grip, very comfortable and a simple locking mechanism.
    Cuisipro 12” Stainless Steel Locking Tongs $15.00
    These tongs are good. They have a pull lock on the end, are very sturdy, comfortable and the silicone heads are not only heat resistant, but help to grip whatever you happen to be picking up.
    OXO 12” Locking Tongs with Nylon Heads $13.00 For Both Stainless and Nylon Heads
    Out of everything that OXO has made, I have found maybe three things that are not even worth looking at, these tongs, thankfully, are not one of them.

The OXO tongs have an easy to use locking mechanism as well as a comfortable grip. They are available with or without the nylon heads. I personally prefer the steel heads because the nylon heads tend to be flatter thus making it a little difficult to grasp some items.
    Rösle 12” Locking Stainless Steel Tongs $25.00 For Stainless Heads, $28.00 For Silicone Heads
    These are good tongs. They have a one-handed locking mechanism that operates via a pin at the fulcrum. To lock these tongs, you close them, turn them up and the pin falls in place. They are comfortable, very sturdy and have a nice scalloped head that grips well.

Here are a couple of drawbacks: Say you are using them to “stir” pasta in a pot of boiling water. When you go to lock them, the boiling water that has collected in the heads will run down the tongs and onto your hand and arm. Not fun.

The other drawback is the price. Like all Rösle products, they are expensive, yet they are beautiful and extremely well made. Like Sham Wow Vince says, These are made in Germany! You know the Germans always make good stuff!
    Sur La Table 12” Stainless Steel Locking Tongs $12.00, typically on sale several times throughout the year.
    These are good, straight forward tongs in the same vein as the Edlund and OXO tongs listed above. They have a simple locking mechanism, are comfortable and have good, yet thin, scalloped heads.
    Kuhn Rikon 11” Stainless Steel Wire Tongs $25.00
    These tongs are the glorified version of those offered via infomercials a few years ago. That being said, these tongs are not bad…but they’re not good.

The locking mechanism on these tongs is terrible yet they are comfortable and the whisk style heads grip items well. As far as their performance as a whisk, stick with a regular whisk.
    Chef’n 12” Tongo Tongs $16.95
    Normally, I’m a big fan of Chef’n products, but these tongs are not even mediocre.

If it weren't for the second worst locking mechanism of the bunch, these tongs would have been great. The silicone heads grip items well and they are comfortable, but again, the lock sucks.
    Amco 12" Plastic Tipped Locking Tongs $8.95
    These things are the worst! I can't even describe the suckitude that these wastes of steel exude. For the love of all that is Holy, do not waste your money on these things.

The locking mechanism is nothing more than a wire ring and the thin, rectangular arms are so far beyond uncomfortable it's not even funny. The plastic heads look and feel cheap and are completely flat which means they have no grip to speak of.
Last edited by Grovite on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby nurho83 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Did your top model not come with a nylon option? If I want the nylon option should I go with the Cuisipro? I want a pair or two of nylon for my non-stick stuff.
nurho83
Captain Briner

Postby Grovite » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm

nurho83 wrote:Did your top model not come with a nylon option? If I want the nylon option should I go with the Cuisipro? I want a pair or two of nylon for my non-stick stuff.

I would go with the Cuisipro if you are wanting silicone tips. Edlund doesn't have that option and the Cuisipros are very good tongs.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Dana » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks Grovite :)
I'm in the market for some tong-age.

And, I can't believe you quoted Sham Wow Vince - they MUST be good!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:10 pm

I've got 2 of the Oxo 12" tongs with the stainless tips and I love, love, love them. Comfortable, easy to use and just the right length for most jobs.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 am

sadiedog wrote:I've got 2 of the Oxo 12" tongs with the stainless tips and I love, love, love them. Comfortable, easy to use and just the right length for most jobs.

You still talking about tongs there or is that about Josh?

:twisted:
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:48 am

:shock: :twisted: :oops: :lol:
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Re: Product Review 1: Tongs (Updated, New #1!)

Postby Lovestolaugh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:36 pm

I have All Clad 12" tongs all stainless steel, no silicone tip.
They are dishwasher safe, very sturdy, and have a slide lock on them to keep them closed.
I think they work very well, as do all the other all clad tools I have such as the slotted spoon, Fork, Ladle, small turner, and fish turner.
I also have the All clad BBQ set that is of the same great quality and style, but the handles are just longer for the BBQ.
The kitchen tools usually range from $20.00-$25.00
I give all clad tools a rating of all the salt cellars, just my opinion they work well for me.
Last edited by Lovestolaugh on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Lovestolaugh
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Re: Product Review 1: Tongs (Updated, New #1!)

Postby Grovite » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:50 am

I could not disagree more. All-Clad cookware is great, I have a wall full of the stuff, however, the handles on their utensils are some of the most uncomfortable things I have ever had the displeasure of handling. Not only have I used them at home, but in several restaurants. They get no salt cellars, matter-of-fact, they get the anti-salt cellar!
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Return to GEFP College Of Knowledge