[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Gear Nerd's Tool of the Week #1

Gear Nerd's Tool of the Week #1

Here you'll find tutorials, how-to's, gear discussions and everything you need to make your kitchen a well-oiled machine.

Moderators: Grovite, Slamdunkpro

Gear Nerd's Tool of the Week #1

Postby Grovite » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Gear Nerd’s Tool of the Week #1

OXO 2oz Angled Mini Measure
Prices range from $3-$4 each or $10-$12 for a S/3

I can not begin to tell you how much I love these things. I have a stack of twelve that I use all the time. They come in handy for damn near any recipe and are a must for when I need to crank out twenty dozen organic dog treats.

Not only are they great for cooking, but if you’re stingy with your liquor, they come in handy.

If you don’t have at least two of these, run out and get some more, you can thank me later.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Unknown Foodie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 pm

+1
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby koshersalty » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:10 pm

+2

I'd love to see a 1/2 gal sized pitcher version of this. I would also like to see a version in pyrex/borosilicate glass.

the little 2oz boogers are great for mise en place when you have a bunch of liquids
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby jackiecat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Love mine!
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: Gear Nerd's Tool of the Week #1

Postby Lovestolaugh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:38 am

I love mine too!!
I have measuring cups in every size from super large to ity bity!!
It's so much easier and quicker to measure tablespoons of liquid in the cup than with a spoon.

* Update Note: I forgot to add that the painted on numbers and backgrounds of the tiny OXO cup will come off if scratched by a sharp object on the outside of the cup. This happened to mine in the sink or dishwasher. I really take care to baby it now. These are so handy I'm going to get more of them.
Last edited by Lovestolaugh on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Lovestolaugh
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby aslansavz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 am

But can I just say that I hate the plastic? I'm so used to my pyrex...that working with my regular Oxo cup feels cheap? I want that heft...I don't like the plastic feeling. Are you using the stainless steel or plastic ones?

However, I love it, otherwise. The minis just went on my wishlist :)
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Lovestolaugh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:24 pm

aslansavz wrote:But can I just say that I hate the plastic? I'm so used to my pyrex...that working with my regular Oxo cup feels cheap? I want that heft...I don't like the plastic feeling. Are you using the stainless steel or plastic ones?

However, I love it, otherwise. The minis just went on my wishlist :)

The one I have is plastic by OXO, I'm not aware of a metal one. It's2 1/4" tall and 2 3/4 wide. Very lightweight and dishwasher safe. I don't mind about the plastic on this one because if it slips out of my hands because its so small, if my hands are wet or greasy while cooking it probably won't break. I Agree that glass would really be a better value because it would probably last even longer than the thinner plastic.
****The one downside I've encountered with my little oxo cup {that I forgot to mention in my previous post} is that I suggest for you to be careful of scratching the outside paint of this cup because it comes off!. I must have put mine next to something scratchy in the sink or dishwasher because little chips of the painted on area where the numbers and background are have come off in spots. This doesn't happen at all with my glass Pyrex stuff. So if you get one of these just take care to baby it a little, other than that I think it's very handy!! I think I saw that Pyrex also has something that measures by the spoonful. Its much bigger in the shape of a drinking glass and made out of glass.
All the items I mentioned can be purchased at the 'Bed Bath and Beyond Store' if you have those in Texas.
Wow!!! You met Alton!!! COOOOOl !!!!!!
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Lovestolaugh
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby AshleyGrebe14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 pm

I just got a few of those! I just LOVE them... I bought them particularly because Alton writes a lot of his measurements in ounces... rather than tsp/ tbspns/ cups... so now I can get those measurements easily. And without having to duck/ turn my head to the side to see the measurements that I have in the cup!
The Ashley/ Alton Project <---- Visit Me!

"Compare music to drinks. Some is like a strong brandy. Some is like a fine wine. The music you're playing sounds like Diet Coke." - Pavarotti
AshleyGrebe14
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Grovite » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:12 am

AshleyGrebe14 wrote:I just got a few of those! I just LOVE them... I bought them particularly because Alton writes a lot of his measurements in ounces... rather than tsp/ tbspns/ cups... so now I can get those measurements easily. And without having to duck/ turn my head to the side to see the measurements that I have in the cup!

Told ya!

aslansavz wrote:Are you using the stainless steel or plastic ones?

Both. I usually use the Perfect Beaker, glass Catamount and Pyrex measuring cups for larger things, but for smaller jobs, I reach for these little guys. The steel ones I have cost about $5 a pop, but I have picked up 3 packs of the plastic guys for cheap at Tuesday Morning.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Butterbean » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Just got meself one Thanks for the tip, Grovite! :D

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Return to GEFP College Of Knowledge