[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Sweet Heat Pepper Jelly

Sweet Heat Pepper Jelly

Swap Recipes

Sweet Heat Pepper Jelly

Postby Parrothead » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:47 am

Now that the jalapenos are arriving fast and furious, its getting close to time for me to make Pepper Jelly. This is adapted from The Whole Chile Pepper Book. That recipe has food coloring in it - this version is much better.

Peach & Pepper Jelly

Makes about four 8 oz jars

8 large jalapenos (red preferred but green works, up to 10 if you want more heat)
1/2 Large Red or Yellow Bell pepper
1 large fresh Peach - peeled and chunked - slightly underripe is ok
3/4 cup white 5% acidity vinegar
3 cups sugar
2T lemon juice
4t powdered pectin or 2 oz liquid pectin

Remove the stems from the jalapenos. Seed and devein them - unless you want more heat. Rough chop into chunks along with the bell pepper and peach, and put in a blender with the vinegar. Puree. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes.

Add sugar, lemon juice, and pectin. Stir well. Bring back to a boil
for 1 more minute. Pack into hot clean jelly jars and boiling water
process for 10 minutes.

This jelly will not setup very thick at first - give it a couple of weeks and
its good to go.

Variation:

Substitute 2-3 ripe Habaneros for the Jalapenos (I use Caribbean Red) and large fresh mango for the peach. Add 1t ground allspice and chopped lime zest for a Caribbean flavor. This variation is HOT!

Serve on grilled chicken, chops, as a chicken wing sauce. Or, pour over a room temperature block of cream cheese and serve with tortilla chips as an appetizer.
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Re: Sweet Heat Pepper Jelly

Postby Flaming Viking » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:41 pm

I just got done making a couple of batches of this recipe. It's pretty tasty from what I tested off the spoon. :) I got 11 little 1/2 pint jars in total. I'm excited to give them as part of Christmas gifts this year! Thanks for the awesome recipe!
"Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have..."

Steven Wright
Flaming Viking
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Return to Recipe Swap