[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Mexican Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake

Mexican Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake

Swap Recipes

Mexican Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake

Postby mhalbrook » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Okay, this is the "Wimp's Version" with low heat.

Base:
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (If making from scratch, about 18.25 oz cake mix)
1 Egg
4 oz Melted Butter

Filling
16 oz Powdered Sugar
5 Tbs Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Chilie Powder (Sorry, don't know which chili it is)
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
8 oz Cream Cheese
2 Eggs
4 oz melted butter

Mix first crust together and press in to the bottom of a 9x13 rectangle, 10" round or 11" tart pan.

Combine first four filling ingredents in a bowl and whisk to combine
Beat Cream Cheese until smooth and add in dry mixture. Mix on slow and add in eggs & butter. and mix until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally

Pour filling over crust and bake at 300 for 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool fully before attempting to cut, this is not an eat it hot cake :)

Comes out good, just a hint of heat on the end, if you like it hotter, then you'll want a hotter powerd and/or more.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: Mexican Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake

Postby icntdrive55 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 am

this sounds like a great recipe. Being from St. Louis, I just love gooey butter cake. I cant wait to try it.
icntdrive55

Postby mhalbrook » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:32 pm

icntdrive55 wrote:this sounds like a great recipe. Being from St. Louis, I just love gooey butter cake. I cant wait to try it.

Not the same animal. The St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake is more of a coffee cake, a yeast raised thing, This is not the same, but it's still good.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby LinC » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm

This sounds great! I think the chili powder would help cut the sweetness. Paula Deen would roll her eyes and squeal in amazement.
"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress.... and watch out for diabolical masterminds."
Emma Peel
LinC
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:07 pm

LinC wrote:This sounds great! I think the chili powder would help cut the sweetness. Paula Deen would roll her eyes and squeal in amazement.

The chili powder does cu the sweetness somewhat, and the little hit of minor heat is a nice gotcha for people. After watching either ATK or Cooks Country where they made brownies and talked about blooming the cocoa powder in the butter for extra flavor, It dawned on me that both the chilie and the cocoa would benefit from the same treatment, so for all my cakes I do that use a spice blend in them (This one, the pumpkin one and the spiced pecan and sauteed pears) I mix the spices and/or cocoa in while melting the butter, and the flavor increase greatly. In fact, when I tried that with this cake, I actuall used less cocoa, and it had more chocolate flavor.

As far as cutting the sweetness level, I've not tried it but I've been thinking, would replacing some of the powdered sugar with corn starch be effective? I mean corn starch is used in the powdered sugar. I'd think it'd cut the sweetness, but it'd likely change the gooey nature as well, by setting it up firmer, which may not be a totally bad thing. Thoughts on that anyone? I may try it the next itme I make one just for fun. If all goes well, I'll have another new recipe next week too. Gonna play with a butter pecan one. In addition to sauteeing the pecans in butter, I'm thinking slightly brown the butter for the filling and maybe adding butter flavoring?
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Recipe Swap