[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Alma's Grated Apple Pie with Streusel Topping

Alma's Grated Apple Pie with Streusel Topping

Swap Recipes

Alma's Grated Apple Pie with Streusel Topping

Postby sadiedog » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:25 pm

ALMA'S GRATED APPLE PIE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING

6 med. Jonathan or McIntosh apples, firm & crisp
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter, softened, room temperature
1 (10") unbaked pie shell

1. Quarter, core and coarsely grate apples. (Do not peel them.) Mix apples thoroughly with sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt.
2. Combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and salt, pressing out any lumps of sugar. Using your hands, rub in the butter until mixture is crumbly. This is the streusel topping.
3. Spoon apple mixture into unbaked pie shell, then scatter sugar mixture (streusel) evenly over the top.
4. Bake in a hot oven, 400 degrees, for 10 minutes; lower temperature to moderate, 375 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes longer, until filling is bubbly and streusel topping is dappled with brown.

NOTES:
- You can peel the apples if you would like. The apples I used had very thick skins that would not have been a good texture.
- I also did not core or quarter the apples. Just peeled and grated with the large holes of a box grater. Just stop before you hit the core and all will be well.
- I do not know who Alma is, I think I got this recipe either from AllRecipe.com or from some site I was visiting when looking for a good make ahead apple pie filling.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Return to Recipe Swap