[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - SPAETZLE

SPAETZLE

Swap Recipes

SPAETZLE

Postby DitsyD » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 pm

I've made this recipe, but I have never added all of the herbs listed. I usually use just sage or thyme. This is from Williams-Sonoma Seasonal Favorites

WINTER HERB AND LEMON SPAETZLE

Unsalted butter for the baking dish, plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons chopped fresh winter savory (optional)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
5 eggs
2/3 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Butter a large ceramic baking dish and set aside.
2. Place the flour, all the herbs, and the lemon zest in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs until well blended. Gradually whisk the eggs into the flour mixture. Stir in the milk, salt, and pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat an oven to 275*F.
4. Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil. Working in batches, pour some of the batter into a large colander and, using the back of a large spoon, push strips of batter into the water. Alternatively, force the batter through the holes of a spaetzle maker into the water. As soon as the dumplings float to the surface, after about 1-2 minutes, they are cooked. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the dumplings to the prepared baking dish and place them in the oven to dry the excess moisture. As each batch of dumplings is cooked, add it to the baking dish, gently tossing the freshly cooked dumplings with those already in the baking dish.
5. To serve, drizzle with the melted butter and toss gently to coat. Serve hot. Serves 6.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Re: SPAETZLE

Postby DitsyD » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 pm

My go to spaetzle recipe. I also add a little cinnamon to the batter.
From a community cookbook that I picked up at German Fest in Milwaukee a few years ago.

SPATZLE

1-1/4 cups milk
2-1/2 cups flour
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
8 cups water and chicken bouillon

1. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add the milk and eggs, beating constantly with a wire whisk until smooth.
2. In a large pot, bring water and bouillon to a low boil. Hold the bowl of batter over the broth and tilt so that the batter starts to run over the edge of the bowl. With a knife, slice the batter into the broth at the bowl’s edge, a little at a time. Dip the knife into the broth after each cut to release the batter. Continue until all of the batter is used, keeping the broth boiling. Spatzle will double in size as they cook. Drain.
3. Melt butter and add breadcrumbs and cook till golden brown. Top spatzle with crumbs. You can also fry some diced bacon and onion and pour over the top of the spatzle.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby aslansavz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks for these, D - we're making this for dinner tonight to go with sausages :)
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Lovestolaugh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Here are the recipes I use: {they each have a different flavor and texture}

Spaetzle #1:

3 eggs
1 c. milk {237ml}
3 cups flour {420g}
1/2 tsp. salt {2.5g}
1/2 tsp. NUTMEG {1.25g}
Water to cook them in like pasta

Beat eggs till foamy then combine with milk.
Mix flour and salt together.
Add milk mixture to egg mixture a little at a time.
The dough will be stiff and elastic.
Fill the spaetzle maker or colander and push dough into boiling water {you can use stock,or soup in place of water} Forming small dumplings.
Dumplings are cooked when the float to the top which only takes a minute or two.
Use a slotted spoon to fish them out and drain the water off.
I then put them in a serving dish that has some pats of butter in it, the hot spaetzle melts it, then I toss them and cover. I keep adding cooked spaetzle too the dish till they are all cooked then add salt and pepper.

Spaetzle #2:

2 eggs,beaten
3/4 c. water {178m.}
1and 1/2 c. flour {210g}
1/4 tsp. salt {1.25}
6 c. stock or broth {to cook them in as you would pasta}
butter
chopped fresh PARSLEY to taste

Combine eggs, water, flour, salt, beating till smooth.
Boil 6 cups of stock or broth {or dumplings can be dropped directly into a soup.}
Put dough in spaetzle maker or colander over the boiling stock, push the dough through forming small dumplings.
They will float in a minute or two when they are done, work in batches.
Fish out the cooked spaetzle with a slotted spoon drained of all liquid and put cooked batches in a covered bowl that has some butter in it and toss to coat.
Then add the parsley, salt and pepper.

These are both good recipes hope you like them
These also go well with some gravy on them.
I like to serve them especially with sauerbraten or pork schnitzel.
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Lovestolaugh
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Return to Recipe Swap