[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Sweet Potato...bread?

Sweet Potato...bread?

Swap Recipes

Sweet Potato...bread?

Postby Jikuu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:15 pm

My husband made a sweet potato item that we have absolutely no clue what to do with it. The recipe is:

300g AP flour
3 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed, steamed, and whipped
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of honey
3 eggs
1/2 T baking powder

He assembled it via the muffin method. What came out were four little loaves of orange. They're not too sweet but definitely not savory, closer to a pudding or custard texture than bread, dense but not gut sinkers. We tried toasting it, and our poor toaster was only able to warm it. We don't think we can use them for croutons, and making bread pudding out of them may be out of the question too since they don't seem that porous. Any ideas on what we can do to spruce up our current items?
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. ~Leo Buscaglia
Jikuu
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Re: Sweet Potato...bread?

Postby okbye » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:00 pm

That does seem like a lot of potato for the amount of flour considering how large sweet potatoes can be. That would actually be a recipe flaw, 3 sweet potatoes can mean a very large range of amount. It could really use some seasoning too.
I don't know what you'd do with it beyond eating it as a sweet bread. Maybe you could toast it in the oven? Bread pudding would just be a gloppy mess if it's that wet. Heat up slices and add a little ice cream or an apple or pear compote?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby sadiedog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Or marscapone cheese?
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Jikuu » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:56 am

We've decided to freeze it until we can come up with a serving solution. It might require a broiler for toasting to occur. The piddly counter toaster did jack. Probably warmed with a sauce is the best idea. Thanks.
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. ~Leo Buscaglia
Jikuu
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Sharona » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:13 pm

My few sweet potato bread attempts have been done by volume (about 1 cup of sweet potato mush to 3 cups -- 1 lb -- of bread flour, then adjust liquid as needed). I put in a bunch of spices (depending upon my mood)

If you try that recipe again, I'd suggest adding spices as well.

Since you say it's not that savory, and the spicing is definitely missing, maybe serving it layered or topped with something that is compatibly spiced? Apple or pumpkin butter, perhaps, since those often have cinnamin, nutmeg, and allspice?
Sharona
Captain Briner

Return to Recipe Swap